PDA

View Full Version : Using a wall tent for our bison hunt

rodneyzee
08-14-2012, 04:56 PM
My hunting partner has the bison draw for 7-57 a, I was wondering if there was places that a person could sent up a wall tent around the access of the blueberry ranch. any info would be great thanks Rodney

Iltasyuko
08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Not sure if you are planning to pay the trespass fee, but if you are they may let you set up on their land where the rental cabins are. This was an option a couple years ago when I went.

MOL
08-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Mostly Crown land set it up where you want! We did just that 2 years ago, in the January hunt. -35 for the first 3 days then it warmed up. I finally shot one about 400 m from the tent, as they moved in over night, after some extreme winds and chinook conditions. When is your draw? I would not set up on their land, what for. The nice thing about bringing your own shelter is that you can set up in the outback were there should be less hunters, although there can be lots of moose and elk hunters depending on the time of the year. We have learned over the years that you should cover the wall tent with a tarp, we used insulated construction type tarps (rentals), and it keep the moisture to a minimum and our beer did not freeze in 6 days of hunting. Find some level ground with good vantage points, near meadows and firewood and make yourself at home! Fun hunt, been on 4 so far, all winter hunts!

mudbud
08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
When is your draw??

rodneyzee
08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the info so far, my brothers draw is for oct 16 to 31

fearnodeer
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
There are some great places to set a wall tent up but you can only drive 6k past the ranch with a pick-up so unless you have quads to haul you stuff in futher you are limited, there are places before the ranch to set up but i would just pay to go through the ranch myself . I would set up futher in if i get the chance to go back about 20k in.

Whonnock Boy
08-15-2012, 08:47 AM
We set up our tent within eyesight of the cabins and ranch. Off to the right as you're heading in.

I had the Nov 1 to 15 draw back in 07. We arrived two days before opening, and no one was around for the late Oct. draw. Almost two hundred head were ripe for the pickin' out on the air strip.