PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 day backpacking gear for elk....

brock77
08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
getting ready for a 2-4 day backpacking hunt... wondering what everyonelse has in their packs...

Ron.C
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
When I backpack hunt, I pack in to my hunting area set up my camp and then most of the items below stay there. I don't pack this stuff around with me as I hunt. I'm not a minimalist and I can't afford top of the line equipment, but I hate carrying useless weight. My only"luxury" items are really a bit of soap, toothbrush and toothpaste. Yes, I can do without them, but makes me feel a bit more human and its very refreshing to clean up a bit every day.

I use an Alaskan Outfitter external Frame pack and Bag.

This is what I will be packing in for elk/goat hunt this fall. And I'll have a partner so allot of items will be split between us. If we only need one of something, then thats all we take . eg GPS/stove/tent etc

- Make sure you have reliable shelter, and sleeping bag, sleeping pad. Light as possible. This is where you can shed lots of weight in a hurry, but it gets expensive just as fast. And I carry a lightweight tarp to set up as a shelter away from my tent where my fire will be and where I eat. My food is hung in a tree about 20m past this area. Lots of Griz where I go, makes me feel safer.

- I use an MSR Pocket rocket stove and a 225 gram fuel cansister easily lasts me 4 days when boiling enough water for my meal and coffee in the morning an evening. Couple this with a 1L titanium cookpot and the whole rig comes in at about 1pound
- mountain house propac meals " Im a smaller guy and one of these is lots for me" a couple oatmeal packs/two cliffbars, a bagal, and a snickers bar, Starbucks instant coffee is my daily food. Comes in at just over 1.5lbs /day and just over 3000 calories. This will vary allot person to person.
-water purification tablets, 3L water bladder and hose, 2L water bladder "empty", 1L nalgene bottle
- lightweight packable rain gear.
- couple clothing layers, "NO COTTON/DENIM" will vary signifigantly based on preference and where /when you hunt
- Bear Spray/S.P.O.T./game bags/GPS, map&compass/binos/rangefinder/knife & sharpener/headlamp & small flashlight/pac alarm/TP/50' of light rope/camera/wyoming saw/small chunk of unscented soap/small bit of toothpaste & brush/misc first aid"ibuprophin, pepto pills, immodium.
-I take 7 pre-loaded shots for my muzzleloader, a few cleaning patches and a couple patches pre-soaked with a bit of light gun oil
- whatever game calls you think you need

with the exception of my gun, the whole pack tips the scales at 39 pounds. Very manageable. The pic below is of my pack contects from my 5 day solo hunt this spring

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/GrizPack.jpg

fester
08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
good info thanks!!

rem338win
08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
What tent/bag/mat setup do you use?

adventurernick
08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
This is my go to kit for every back country trip. I just expand the gear depending on the activity.

70L Black Diamond mountaineering pack ( I cover black pack with camo burlap for hunting)
Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy/ and or Hennessy Hammock
Thermarest
Northface Tundra sleeping bag, synthetic, with aftermarket compression sack
MSR whisperlite single burner multifuel stove
GSI single pot with cup inside big enough to hold stove when packed
Wind breaker accessories and cutlery
MSR .02 micron water filter, field maintainable (comes apart and you can cleen filter etc)
1 Litre Nalgene bottle
Petzel tikka head lamp
gerber hatchet with saw in handle
knife
Integral Designs Siltarp 8'

This kit is dependable and light. You can also expand depending on activity and have room for food. One pound food per night out.

Ron.C
08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
What tent/bag/mat setup do you use?

right now, I use an North Face Quartz 22, canopy and poles only. I ditched the screen tent /floor portion, and the tent weighs 3 pounds. Basically turned it into a tarp tent. I got it in the States on sale for $90. My pad is a thermarest pro-lite plus and my bag is a North face cats meow" around 2.5 pounds". Like I said in my origional post, I can't afford to spend hundreds on high end gear, but this combo works quite well for cost/weight.

pupper
08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Here is an article and pics on what I bring: http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/A_Guide_to_Backpacking_and_Bivouac_Hunting

Bobfl
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I built an elk cart with wheels and skids this yr to demo. 50 lbs aluminum ,folds into a pack frame for your back, . I give myself twenty lbs of gear which hooks up inside the cart included is 3 lb sleeping back for -15, freeze dried food and whatever else you want to take. I stay up on the ridges for two days at a time and have a base camp in the valley.(No smokes). When I leave the ridge, parrishables stay in an enclosed container for the next hike. Hiking up each morning is a waste of time. Thats what I do.
If the cart works , I will sell them next yr