PDA

View Full Version : broadheads

270WIN
08-12-2012, 11:41 AM
just wonder what ever one is using pros and cons about diffrent heads

BCHoyt
08-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Personally Ive tried fixed and mechanical and am 100% sold on using mechanicals... I found the grim reaper SS mechanicals to be amazing... They fly exactly like a field point... They come with a practice tip so you dont have to use the real deal for practice... No rubber bands or o-rings... Took my spring black bear with them and man they make a BIG hole!

Hillbros_96
08-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Mechanical as long as you have the kinetic energy for them to open up. I use the NAP Spitfire and have had them go through several bones on a 300lb mule deer at 50 yards. Never had good luck with fixed broad heads.

TheProvider
08-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Like bullets, you may have to try a few to find ones you truly like and ones that works best for your setup.

Ron.C
08-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Muzzy fixed 3 blade 100's. Always performed well for me. They group and shoot well for me out to 50 yards and I have taken 21 animals with them. But regardless of which broadhead you shoot, you need to do your part and put it where it needs to be. If you can do that then most broadheads from any reputable company will do just fine.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I am liking the T-3 mechanicals ..... I have great success with Rocket Steel heads
as for Fixed I found the Rocky Mtn Premieres to work the best for me ... followed closely by the Rocky Titaniums .... Montecs worked ok as did the Muzzy 3s and 4s ... but always went back to the Rocky Mtn premieres ...

Downwind
08-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I got my bow broadhead tuned up last week with my G5 Montec broadheads. I'll hopefully be able to see how they work out in two weeks :) This is my first year bowhunting and when I thought about what broadheads to go with, fixed blades just made more sense for me.

mikeboehm
08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
i use muzzy mx4 with my omen pro. flies like my field points out to 6o meters. love them. used rage 3 blade worst broadhead ever. 2 blades as they slid open always hit each other and only one blade opened. becuase of that i will never use mechanics as long as the fixed blades fly like my field points

huntwriter
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
just wonder what ever one is using pros and cons about diffrent heads

Broadheads from reputable companies are all about the same. It's a bit like asking what brand of truck to buy, everyone has their favourites and dislikes. I've shot many different broadhead brands and designs over the years and never noticed much difference in performance or killing ability.

If it helps you out my favourites are NAP Thuderhead 125grain. Muzzy 125 grain, Magnus 125 grain and NAP Spitfire 125 grain.

bugler
08-13-2012, 08:46 PM
My preference is two blade cut from tip style like the Magnus Stinger or Bear Razorhead. For my setup I don't need to adjust anything between the field points and broadheads.

markt308
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
my preference is the montec fixed blade 100 grain. the reason i'm not a mechanical guy is simply cuz i've seen things go wrong where you'll be at full draw only to look and see one of the blades has opened or something doesnt look quite right. it can obviously cause the flight to be messed up, or just mess with your confidence. I know tons of guys love mechanical, just not for me. my fixed blades fly just fine!

pappy
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I have never tried the mechanical ones, as far as fixed I started using the cheap carbon express 100 grain fixed ones. I have used muzzy 100's before and see no difference between them in the deer that I have shot. I save a bit of money buying the cheaper ones and don't worry about trying to salvage them for replacement blades after the shot. The last deer I shot had a complete pass thru above the heart, never recovered the arrow as there was about a foot and a half of snow (35 yard shot). The deer before that one took a shot straight into the brisket and the arrow made it length ways to the left rear quarter and was just poking out of the hide (20 yard shot). That gave me enough time for a follow up pass thru shot in the lungs to put it down quicker (10 yards). I have only shot deer with these and have only bow hunted off and on for about three seasons, I was thinking about going to heavier 125 heads with a bigger cutting diameter later down the road in case I want to try for an elk or moose. I need to get more serious about practice before I go out this season.

Brian011
08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I like the g5 montecs. I prefer to shoot a fixed blade broadhead because there is a less chance that something would go wrong. I shot a deer last year with a montec broadhead and he went maybe 50 yrds and was dead in seconds. Only problem with them is that they get dull and can break easier if you hit the ground with them.

J_T
08-14-2012, 05:31 AM
G5 Montec. Hands down. 125 gr. Flight is good, penetration excellent, single piece of steel. Durable.

Mechanical broadheads have come along way, but .... if you want to consider using a mechanical know that you need to be using top of the line mechanical heads. Just like anything that has moving parts, you buy cheap, it won't perform as well.

bcbrez
08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
I have been using 100g slick tricks the last few years and have been very impressed. They fly like my field points out to 60 meters and they leave great big holes with lots of blood. I do have some T3's but have not used them on an animal yet.

Mountaintop
08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
G5 Montec here too on my crossbow. Flies well and can be honed to razor sharp or resharpened after using. I also like the big cutting area - 1 1/8 cutting diameter so bleed out is fast if you do your part.

todbartell
08-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Rage 2 blade 2" cut this fall. They fly well for me, gives me confidence in them to hit where I want every time I do my part

Night Hawk 3
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I use G5 Montecs and Magnus Snuffer SS in 125gr with one bow and 100gr with the other. They fly the same, and are both tough as nails. Kill well, no concerns about them not doing their end of the job if I do mine.

These are a fixed three blade broadhead. Stainless steel construction.

NH3

hunterdon
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I have used mechanicals and fixed in times past. For me, fixed is my choice. Mechanicals are not reliable or durable enough, especially on bigger game. I have used a number of fixed. Slicktricks are good, but my first choice is G5 Montecs. One piece construction, accurate, deadly and durable. 125 grain preferred.

Sideofabarn
08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I am going either with Slick Trick Razor tricks, or the old style Magnus two blade broadheads this fall, both 100gr. So many styles to choose from now, so as others have said, use the ones you are most comfortable and proficient with. Seems as though many of us tweak our brands and types through the seasons... So many variables will enter the picture when you are actually out hunting and taking a shot at game, so a bad experience may be a one off thing, depending on conditions, angle of the animal to you, the list goes on ad nauseum.

rattling_junkie
08-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Steel Force Phatheads. Thickest head on the market. Razor sharp out of the package and lifetime warranty. Couldn't ask for more.

wsm
08-16-2012, 03:27 PM
i totally agree.. ^^ x2