PDA

View Full Version : Elk/Moose Help

ufishifish2
08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,
Well, this is a first for me. Never asked where to hunt here on HBC before so please don't rip me apart. Atleast this isn't my first ever post when doing it! :)
Anyways, I am returning up to 7-51 on my annual Sheep hunt near Stone Mtn.
We are heading out for two weeks. In case we get lucky and connect early (yeah right) I am thinking of going for Moose and/or Elk.
Only problem is all I have ever hunted for up there is Sheep and Goats.
Any ideas of where to go on the trip back for moose or elk would be greatly appreciated. Basically anywhere from Stone Mtn back towards PG would all be open to consideration.
We will have quads in case they are needed for an area recommended.

Thanks a tonne,
Ufish

ufishifish2
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, PM's are fine in case you don't want everybody knowing. :)

whitetailsheds
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
ufish, there are lots of spots as soon as you leave Stone Mtn before Ft Nelly. Any side roads/ trails off the highway, try some calling for either critter. One of my most memorable moments on a trip north for sheep was calling in 2 bull elk while taking a pee break on one of the pull outs climbing Steamboat. Just for chits and giggles thought I'd show a new, and very green, hunting partner what calling elk was all about.....be damned if 2 bulls didn't start coming in from a couple hundred yards below. One was a 5x5, and the other never got a look at. Always see moose travelling that highway between those spots.

showtime
08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
what 2 week window are you thinking, that might help to know coresponding moose/elk seasons.

bearhunter338-06
08-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Can I suggest maybe "In the Bush"....................:mrgreen:

Moose Guide
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Can I suggest maybe "In the Bush"....................:mrgreen:

Hey, you weren't supposed to tell!!!:mrgreen:

ufishifish2
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks Burke, :)
Actually, thanks to those who responded above as well as all the PM's I have recieved. I now have some ideas on where I could go for the above mentioned critters.
This HBC family is pretty damn good. I hope to be able to repay the help in some way one day.