PDA

View Full Version : Nice Blacktail

stanway
11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, I managed to save my season after all. I was feeling a little ‘down’ because due to some mechanical ‘issues’ with my Trooper, I was not able to get my LEH Whitetail doe. I was lucky enough to draw 3 LEH’s this year, and was only able to cancel my Mulie doe. Moose hunting was a bust – no moose around and it was way too hot.

Anyhow, I had this week booked off for vacation and was able to complete the repairs to the Trooper yesterday and I planned to sneak away and get one day of hunting in on my own. As some of you know, we have been experiencing some pretty bad storms lately, and I was lucky enough to get a calm day – so I hoped the deer would be moving after the storms. And I was right – to an extent. I got up to my spot a little later than I wanted, but I found a young doe right away that was alone. I waited and did some calling, but nothing else showed. So I went for a walk up to another cut-block, but there was nothing moving up there. After a snack, I headed back down and figured I would have some lunch and move on. But before I got back to the truck, I noticed some very fresh tracks on the road I was on. So fresh that they were not there an hour previous. So as it happened, they were headed in the same direction I was. There were two tracks, one smaller and one set that were big with the dewclaw imprints. I followed them to where they cut up into the first cut-block I was in earlier. I figured lunch could wait, because I knew these deer were not far ahead of me. I slowly walked and carefully scanned with the binos…then I spotted the butt end of a doe. The doe was facing away from me and I was so focused on trying to ‘grow horns’ on it, that I didn’t see the buck standing 10 yards to the right of the doe. I spotted him staring at me after I dropped the binos and even at 100 yards (or so) I knew he was a good size buck and these were the pair I was following. I could tell that his antlers were past his ears on 4 power through my scope, so off came the safety and with one bark of the .308win he was down for the count. This is the biggest Blacktail I have taken.

So it’s a pretty good way to round out the season, oh, and it was a nice birthday present as well.

Cheers!

James
:-D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/bubbajones1/IM002070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/bubbajones1/IM002069.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/bubbajones1/IM002072.jpg

Elkhound
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Nice blacktail. Heavy bases. Good job. Congrats

redneckdale
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
thats a beauty blacktail congrats!

rollingrock
11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Why that spot looks so familiar?:D Nice buck! And the base of the rack looks quite solid.

Mr. Dean
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Chunky bugger.

Good goin.

BlacktailStalker
11-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Good buck, congrats!

Hank Hunter
11-17-2006, 01:39 AM
really nice buck , congrats

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Nice looking buck, I love the dark colouration.

lapadat
11-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Good thinking on hitting the woods after the storm. Looks like he's missing a brow tine.

Lapadat

CooperSscat
11-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Sweet buck! Were you out and about in the lower mainland? Hmmm the weather looks to be ok tomorrow....

Marc
11-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Good on yah, nice looking blacktail.

dougan
11-17-2006, 01:21 PM
good work im still waiting to get a crack at a nice buck like that. maybe one day.

NEEHAMA
11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
thick head gear, nice deer.

johnes50
11-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Nice Blacktail and interesting looking rack on him. Gets your heart pumping when you see fresh tracks on the road you just walked. Good job tracking and getting him.

A friend of mine sees antlers on every deer he looks at until he calms down a bit. We always laugh about it later. John

browningboy
11-17-2006, 09:19 PM
A word of advise from experience, get rid of any izuzu, but otherwise nice deer, looks like a boston bar buck? Was he in the rut?8)

stanway
11-18-2006, 08:06 AM
A word of advise from experience, get rid of any izuzu, but otherwise nice deer, looks like a boston bar buck? Was he in the rut?8)

Thanks for all of the comments guys.

Yes, he was rutting - heavy, swollen neck, but not too stinky - compared to the mulie I took last year.

As for all of you wanting to know the location, it was region 2 :wink:. It doesn't really matter anyway. This time of year, just get out to the areas that you know and have seen deer, and see what happens. I just went out to enjoy the day and get out of the city, and as luck would have it, I connected on a nice blacktail. I would have been just as happy (well almost) heading home empty handed. :mrgreen:

Good luck and good hunting.

James
:)

Nails
11-18-2006, 01:05 PM
and it was a nice birthday present as well
Happy Birthaday Stanway, Great Present !!!!!!

stanway
11-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Happy Birthaday Stanway, Great Present !!!!!!

Thanks Todd. Yes it was a great present.

:)

DeerHunter101
11-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Good buck! congrats on your hunt