PDA

View Full Version : American Hunter

30-06
11-16-2006, 09:52 PM
ill be taking an american hunter out for the next spring bear season..what i am wondering is what we will have to do for him to be able to legally hunt and take back his meat.he is a frind of my brothers and really wants to come .this will be his first trip to canada and really wants a bear.any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance

GoatGuy
11-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Unless you have your assistant guide license and are working for the outfitter in the area he can only watch.

There won't be any issues with the meat so long as you have your permits in order if it's flying on a plane. Not up on all the red tape involved in getting meat across the line anymore, sorry. Should be able to get info from the ministry.

30-06
11-16-2006, 09:59 PM
alright thanks GoatGuy

Gunner
11-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry 30.06,unless you are a licenced guide you won't be taking out your brother's pal from south of the border.Not for big game anyway.Page 9 in the regs,All non-residents require a licenced BC guide,except non residents of BC who are Canadian citizens or Residents of Canada may hunt with a Resident of BC who holds a permit to Accompany.The Permit to Accompany cannot be used by non-Canadians.I hate to rain on your parade,but maybe you can line him up a guided bear hunt.Good Luck,Gunner

30-06
11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
alright thanks guys

The Hermit
11-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah that sucks sometimes cause I have some friends that would love to come on up too but the fees guides charge are just too much for the average joe. Not saying it isn't worth every penny or that it should be cheaper by any means but the reality kinda sucks for the little guy!

Does anyone know if Americans can host Canadian hunters or is it a reciprocial thing?

willhunt
11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
america dose not need guides for canadians. all you need is to purchase a licence and/or tag depending on the state and go hunting, altho being from canada it will be super expen$$$$ive.

GoatGuy
11-17-2006, 04:22 AM
america dose not need guides for canadians. all you need is to purchase a licence and/or tag depending on the state and go hunting, altho being from canada it will be super expen$$$$ive.
Think your mixed up bud.

kutenay
11-17-2006, 04:28 AM
This is one example of what is wrong with the B.C. hunting situation as we pay taxes for government employees to kill 600-700 Black Bears per annum here and yet a B.C. resident cannot take an American friend hunting for one of these extremely numerous animals. It is a bullsh*t situation, just like Canadian firearms laws, special "rights" depending on race and having Crown lands off limits to citizens at the request of large resource corporations.

The irony is that an increasing number of the Guide-Outfitter companies are OWNED by wealthy Americans and the majority of the substantial profits made by them, through resident "front men" go south and do NOT benefit the B.C. economy or US, who OWN the game. This type of misuse of our wildlife resources by foreigners is one of the factors that is helping to increase anti-hunting sentiment among the public-at-large and the whole sickening mess needs to be changed.

I favour a "draw" system where a portion of our wildlife and hunting opportunities is set aside for foreign hunters to access by an annual draw such as L.E.H., AFTER ALL B.C. resident and then Canadian citizen's requirements are met. Then, a successful American hunter, for example, could choose to go with a Guide-Outfitter or with a blood relative, including first cousins; this would benefit B.C. far more than the present system.

However, this would be fought by the powerful G.O.A.B.C. as a number of threads here concerning their attempts to control and severely limit B.C. hunting have indicated. I would like to see the B.C.W.F. take a position on this and even have a form of "associate membership" for Americans who might join with us to keep B.C. hunting a sport rather than the commercial slaughter it is becoming, with spotter planes, radios and the contest for the biggest "trophy".

I think that allowing Americans to harvest a Blackie by paying a $1500.00 tag fee plus a fee to participate in a draw such as I propose would help with our surplus Black Bear problem as they are just wasted now and also add money to our wildlife budget. If, the G.O.A.B.C. doesn't like this, TFB, I am real tired of Texans who "own" hunting concessions here telling me how B.C. should be run!

GoatGuy
11-17-2006, 04:33 AM
This is one example of what is wrong with the B.C. hunting situation as we pay taxes for government employees to kill 600-700 Black Bears per annum here and yet a B.C. resident cannot take an American friend hunting for one of these extremely numerous animals. It is a bullsh*t situation, just like Canadian firearms laws, special "rights" depending on race and having Crown lands off limits to citizens at the request of large resource corporations.

The irony is that an increasing number of the Guide-Outfitter companies are OWNED by wealthy Americans and the majority of the substantial profits made by them, through resident "front men" go south and do NOT benefit the B.C. economy or US, who OWN the game. This type of misuse of our wildlife resources by foreigners is one of the factors that is helping to increase anti-hunting sentiment among the public-at-large and the whole sickening mess needs to be changed.

I favour a "draw" system where a portion of our wildlife and hunting opportunities is set aside for foreign hunters to access by an annual draw such as L.E.H., AFTER ALL B.C. resident and then Canadian citizen's requirements are met. Then, a successful American hunter, for example, could choose to go with a Guide-Outfitter or with a blood relative, including first cousins; this would benefit B.C. far more than the present system.

However, this would be fought by the powerful G.O.A.B.C. as a number of threads here concerning their attempts to control and severely limit B.C. hunting have indicated. I would like to see the B.C.W.F. take a position on this and even have a form of "associate membership" for Americans who might join with us to keep B.C. hunting a sport rather than the commercial slaughter it is becoming, with spotter planes, radios and the contest for the biggest "trophy".

I think that allowing Americans to harvest a Blackie by paying a $1500.00 tag fee plus a fee to participate in a draw such as I propose would help with our surplus Black Bear problem as they are just wasted now and also add money to our wildlife budget. If, the G.O.A.B.C. doesn't like this, TFB, I am real tired of Texans who "own" hunting concessions here telling me how B.C. should be run!

You're missing out Koot. Already been suggested and pushed, and rejected. Good idea, though.

As far as substantial profits, you need to catch up with the industry. Worked for 4 outfitters and the American owners don't become wealthy from their shares in outfits - the opportunity cost, however, is far less than purchasing hunts annually.

With those kinds of ideas, you sound like an individual who should be on board, helping out!

kutenay
11-17-2006, 04:43 AM
I have been personally involved in B.C. conservation since 1960 and in fighting against "gun control" since 1968; I simply prefer to keep a low profile for private reasons.

As to the profits, I notice that these concessions often sell for prices in excess of $1,000,000 and I know from personal conversations that a number of G/Os take vacations in places like Costa Rica. One can hardly play in this league without substantial profits. In any case, ANY profits made from commercial hunting in B.C. MUST remain here and NO foreign investment in B.C. hunting should be allowed, period.

If, we do not change the image of B.C. hunting from one that is dominated by trophy-crazed foreigners who have their pictures in glossy magazines back to an image of conservation-concious ordinary folks who harvest game to feed their families and do so with sportsmanship first, the anti-hunters WILL win as they are currently doing. I see NO reason for the use of radios, spotter planes, dedicated G/O quotas or the access by G/Os to our wilderness parks, I really don't care what they want as B.C. belongs to us.

tmarschall
11-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Hermit, as far as I know, for you to come down here to Texas and hunt, all you have to do is buy the non-resident hunting license... something like $250.00. That entitles you to harvest 5 deer, (in most counties), 3 turkey, and hunt any game without a bag limit.

kutenay
11-17-2006, 07:23 AM
BTW, tmarshall, do not take my comments here as intended as any sort of slur upon you or any other Texan, that is NOT my intent. I would enjoy meeting you and discussing wildlife management, hunting and so forth with you and I wish I could invite you to come hunting with me here in B.C.

I have always found your comments on wildlife issues very interesting and, in fact, some of my thinking has been influenced by your posts. I would simply prefer to see American hunters be allowed to harvest the surplus Black Bears we have here in a way that directly benefits B.C. rather than foreign-based Guide-Outfitters.

For example, one well-known G/O charges somewhere around $4000.00 per bear, yet, quite a number are shot as "pests" every year in "his" concession, this, to my mind, is just bizarre. I have zero interest in kiling bears, it is too easy,but, if someone from the U.S.A. wants to do this, I think that we can establish a far better system than we now have to both B.C's and the U.S. hunter's benefit.

steel_ram
11-17-2006, 08:20 AM
There's something like 30 million Canadians and 300 million Americans. The few Canadians that go down there to hunt big game (usually payed on private land) is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential amount of American's that want to hunt here for cheap. I'm not for it. Bears may be numerous now in some parts, but seasons for pretty much everything else in accessible area's has been reduced to a minimum for resident hunters.

Mr. Dean
11-17-2006, 09:25 AM
The irony is that an increasing number of the Guide-Outfitter companies are OWNED by wealthy Americans ...

While I'm not informed enough to form an opinion on Kute's post, The above statement holds true for much of Canadian Industry. It is SAD that we seem unable to speer-head our own country's destiny.

Rainwater
11-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Market hunting is alive and well in Canada. If only the General Public knew it. Female Cat harvest at an all time high and when a guy from another country is standing under the tree with thousands of dollars all cats become Mature.

eastkoot
11-17-2006, 12:59 PM
IF, your non-Canadian friend is a relative you can accompany them if you held a B.C. licence for , I think, the last 3 years or something like that. There are many who abuse this and merely sign an affidavid stating the person they accompany are relatives. OR, in Canada you could legally marry the guy, take him hunting, then annul the marrage (or not)!!! Just remember that if you choose option 2, you can only hunt Brokeback Mountain...

sawmill
11-17-2006, 05:21 PM
IF, your non-Canadian friend is a relative you can accompany them if you held a B.C. licence for , I think, the last 3 years or something like that. There are many who abuse this and merely sign an affidavid stating the person they accompany are relatives. OR, in Canada you could legally marry the guy, take him hunting, then annul the marrage (or not)!!! Just remember that if you choose option 2, you can only hunt Brokeback Mountain...
HAW HAW:lol:
I think thats only sheep hunting though.

tmarschall
11-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Kutenay.... absolutely none taken. I think we are singing the same song. Keep on saying things like they are. Maybe some day we can down a few cool ones over a camp fire and shoot the bull over wildlife management!!!!

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2006, 09:05 PM

*****!!! :lol:

Gateholio
11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I'd echo Kutes comments.

I have lots of American friends, not all of them wealthy, and I woudl lve to sponsor them on a bear hunt that woudl otherwise cost them $4000 US or more.

None of hese guys woudl balk at paying $1000 in BC licences/tags/HCTF fees etc, but they arent' able to do a hunt for big bucks, andthey aren't that interested in one of the lower priced baiting outfits in Sask etc.

They want to spot and stalk some black bears, affordably, spend some money in the local economy and have fun.

i suppose there is plenty of opportunity for "abuse" (like illegal "guiding" schemes) but ther is ALWAYS a way to solve ANY problem. It just takes the will to do it.

I woudln't suggest this for sheep, elk, etc, just animals that we have a *surplus* of.

In no way do I support non residents coming to BC without some sort of 'sponsorship' - the way we can do for out of province (but Canadian) hunters. To have unregulated "anyone can bu a licensce" regulations in BC woudl spell disaster for wildlife populations and resident hunting.

Islandeer
11-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Be careful what you hope for. Allowing culling of animals by foreigners, whose numbers are up, opens loopholes that would have dire consquences for all of our big game I think we need to limit foreign involvement in our natural resources,not encourage it. The majority of GO would love to have the BC resident the H..l out of thir area's, and I stress most of them not all. Think about it, do you think the average non hunting public resident supports traditional family hunting or guided trophy hunting. And no i am not against Guiding, all of the hunting user groups just need to work together... that's my rant. One more thing, we need to harvest(kill) more animals, not just 4pts, and 6 spikes, cows,does,forks 3pts etc. More hunters hunting makes our group stronger.

DeerHunter101
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
The best bet would be to check with your local Conservation office, and check with one of the C.O's. And get the scoop on what is required for non-resident hunters. This is a great idea I think if you can do this. Give him a chance to see what B.C is like, and it's hunting.

MichelD
11-19-2006, 03:41 PM
It's pretty clear on page 9 of the regulations synopsis.

Unless they are a relative they need a guide.

30-06
11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
well i haver all figured out,,hopefully,one of by brothers friends has his guide license,,he is a guide up in Sort,St.John.