PDA

View Full Version : Hanging structure for my garage

dave_83golf
08-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey Guys n' Gals,

I have just bought a new house, and as the hunting season nears, I find myself with a garage, but nothing in the garage to hang any animals for the season.... I have no interest in drilling into the ceiling in the garage, so my question is this...

does anyone have any suggestions, or inexpensive apparatus' that they have used to hang deer/moose, etc.... im thinking something with a solid base and a 3 or 4 foot long hanging pole... something of that nature... would be even better if It could collapse down for the summer months...

thanks so much for for input,

Dave

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Have something fab'd up from steel that goes together with pins, freestanding. Cheap, easy and anyone can design it in 5 mins.

Allen50
08-10-2012, 07:06 PM
go to the butcher with a coller the proper way to hang meat,, a garage just does not work proper,, you dont want to lose your game to not being cold enough or no air movement,, anyway good luck just my though,,,,,

dave_83golf
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Im hanging it there overnight to do the skinning and such... it would be in a cooler within 48 hours... i dont shoot my deer until late november/december generally anyways in which case my garage will be cool enough.... thanks for the input though Allen

islandhunter
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I know you said no drilling, but I would climb in the attic with a 6' 4x4, lay it over 3 trusses and hang a chain through a 1" hole in the ceiling. You will get the most height this way. for $10

nap
08-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Princess Auto Engine Hoist, fairly inexpensive and would have other uses.

Brambles
08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I know you said no drilling, but I would climb in the attic with a 6' 4x4, lay it over 3 trusses and hang a chain through a 1" hole in the ceiling. You will get the most height this way. for $10

I did this in one of my bays in the main shop, I used 3 gang 2x6 and 1" redi rod bolted through with a threaded D-ring.

Princess Auto Engine Hoist, fairly inexpensive and would have other uses.

I have a king engine hoist and it lifts to just over 8 ft, should be fine for deer and you can pick the deer right out of the pickup!

08-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Did the same in my garage, just back truck under chain and snatch block deer/moose/bear out of box........works slick and with a kid's tiny wading pool under the animal there is no mess or mopping out the garage later. If needed can throw portable A/C to keep temperatures where l want. Works great to lift other heavy stuff in and out of truck as well.

r106
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I bolted 2 pieces of 4' angle iron along 3 trusses each just loop something threw a hole and hang it. Nothing to set up or take down. Hangs a quartered deer great

dedapair
08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
A swing set minus the swings works great. Put it together, use it, take it apart and put it away.........or just give it back to the neibours kid you stole it from....

5 spike
08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I have been hanging deer in my garage for 19 years with a 12 foot pole that goes across my garage door rails.It has had three to four deer hanging at once works great.As for deer spoiling none yet keep it cool and good air movement is the key. Oh ya bears have hung there too.I also use it for chin ups lol.

Ubertuber
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
yep, an old swing set works great.

300H&H
08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
I too have the same conundrum.

Here is what I have found.

http://www.biggamehuntingequipment.com/images/gamepictures/100_0370_web.jpg

I think I am going to get one.

I just have to find one first.

They are $200 at Cabelas.

Tarp Man
08-13-2012, 09:14 PM
that pickup hoist would be easy to fab yourself,,,

keoke
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I too have the same conundrum.

Here is what I have found.

http://www.biggamehuntingequipment.com/images/gamepictures/100_0370_web.jpg

I think I am going to get one.

I just have to find one first.

They are $200 at Cabelas.

I made my own for about $70.

greenhorn
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree with the people that suggest hanging from the lumber in the ceiling. I installed a 4x4 between trusses in my garage and then drilled the 4x4 to accept an eye hook. All you see when standing in my garage is the eye of the eyehook, so it doesn't look gawdy (if you're worried about resale). When I need to pull something out of the truck I just hang a tackle off the hook and lift away, when I'm done, put the tackle away...... May be more hassle up front but you won't be futzing around with a huge frame all the time and then storing it when not in use.

yota
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
my family has always had the 4x4 across the trusses and a small hole in the roof. we later built a walk in cooler for many animals. I myself have a custom built hitch hoist and it works awesome when in the field but the roof mount works best once we're home.