PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Companions

Riverboatfantasy
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Over the years I have taken many different persons on extremely high quality hunting trips into productive and pristine areas.

Common traits have surfaced with all of these people (some folks have more, some folks have less). Here are the character traits that I have observed:

1.) Cheap. Not wanting to pay their share.
2.) Controlling. Wanting to dictate where,what, how,when.
3.) In a rush. In a frenzied rush to arrive and wanting to go home early.
4.) Unappreciative. They often act as if they did you a favour by coming.
5.) Failure to return the offer of a hunt.
6.) Expect first shot at everything.
7.) Do not appreciate the precious nature of the limited time available to spend in such remote, low access, wondrous places.

Some have been excellent and will always be invited.

Good hunting partners are difficult to acquire. Choose wisely and cherish the good ones.

This year I will be flying solo as the good ones are unavailable this season.

pnbrock
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I think I've taken your buddies salmon fishing !

thehammer
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
You started with Cheap...a lot of the other characteristics go hand in hand with that. I here ya.

Tenacious Billy
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Good hunting partners are simply an extension of good friends and good family. Chances are if a persons' not one of the latter, they won't make the best of hunting partners.

untilthelastbeat
08-10-2012, 02:34 PM
wow what a shame. to think of the lengths id go to just to experience a riverboat trip is crazy. but to hear about people getting invited and then shitting on their host is just discusting... i feel sorry for you but it is hard to find good company. i hope you have better luck in the future

BearStump
08-10-2012, 02:38 PM
this is why i sold my boat!

warnniklz
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a friend that comes up deer hunting from the coast. If he doesn't get anything and I do, I'll give him the whole deer. Not a big deal.

I've also took a guy out and I got my deer and we split it 50/50. As most hunts are. Later I took him out for his moose and I seen none of it. I showed him the area and everything. Now he takes a whole other crew in there and I go elsewhere.

rem338win
08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
I've also took a guy out and I got my deer and we split it 50/50. As most hunts are. Later I took him out for his moose and I seen none of it. I showed him the area and everything. Now he takes a whole other crew in there and I go elsewhere.

Whatta ****.

Show me an area, I don't care if its crown, private whatever. I don't take anyone in unless you're cool with it. Just common courtesy.

08-10-2012, 02:50 PM
You wanna take me out?
I'll do my best to not be one of those guys.
It really blows me away what you guys get to do up there....... Some times i think i was borne too far south!

Here is my resume

1.) Cheap. Not wanting to pay their share. I have a good job that pays
2.) Controlling. Wanting to dictate where,what, how,when. Dad always told me when you are with someone who knos more then you shut up and listen.... this followed by "Do as your told"
3.) In a rush. In a frenzied rush to arrive and wanting to go home early. The last thing on my mind would be rushing an experaince like that
4.) Unappreciative. They often act as if they did you a favour by coming. I already told ya, it would blow my mind.... you might even get tired of me saying "That is f'en awsome!"
5.) Failure to return the offer of a hunt. I dont got much but a 18.5' campion explorer thats my dads,,, but i used to be a Guide for salmon....
6.) Expect first shot at everything id be too busy looking at the scenery if you were fast enough you wouldnt need to worry about this

so, When we goin?

pnbrock
08-10-2012, 02:51 PM
this thread is making me feel better,almost ready to stick to waterfowl hunting because its something i can do alone.glad to hear I'm not alone with getting screwed around over hunting /fishing companions.

rides bike to work
08-10-2012, 03:03 PM
My go to person to hunt with is my dad all the way.it's always easier when you share blood and passion for the hunt.

ACE
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Good rule of thumb in hunting camp........give 110% all the time, and listen more than you speak. This will give back to you many times.....
Un-selfish hunting partners are a gift.....give them 110%, you will get it all back, and then some.....

yukon john
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Lol been there fella, in whos world does 50$ cover half of 300 liters of fuel

Big Lew
08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
When I first earned my driver's license at age 17, I would take my dad, brothers, or close friends along fishing and hunting. Because my brothers and friends had to use most of their finances for schooling, I supplied everything except their personal duffel and some rods and guns. I didn't expect anything but good companionship and shared experiences.....it was good times. After those very close friends acquired jobs things changed. Not only did they quibble over every nickel and dime, they were reluctant to purchase their own equipment and we began to have issues with sportsmanship and common courtesy. After putting up with having to look for them because they would strike out alone and get lost, or would not show up at designated times, seldom pitch in for camp duties without being asked, and then continue to expect me to supply the truck, camper or tents, boats, canoes, packboards, etc. as well as the researched areas to go, I finally wised up and refused to take them anymore. The final straw was when they took a whole classroom of teenagers into an sensitive area I had showed them only after they had agreed to keep silent about it. For several years some of the Gang Ranch cowboys would watch for my campfire smoke and then ride over to that spot to visit me, and later my wife and small children. They were good enough to help me clean the mess up, but I've never gone back. Since then the only people I will hunt with are family.

ElectricDyck
08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
A lot of this can be avoided if discussed before hand although it's nice to have people on the same page and keep it easy going rather than have to lay down rules for everything. I have a relative that will eat all your food, leave early from a hunt, drink all your beer and then complain about how much money the hunt cost him. If you don't lay it out for him how things are going to work you are going to end up doing all the work and paying for everything. The kind of guy where if you lend him money it's a gift not a loan. Most other guys I hunt with there is no discussion and you have to argue just to pay your share, says a lot about someones character. When it comes to who shoots what, that needs to be talked about before you go.

All in all when you have a partner that is a good fit, it makes for a hunt to be remembered and repeated.

Gateholio
08-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I've had the best and the worst. I like hunting partners that can keep laughing, even when things are shitty. :)

tuffteddyb
08-10-2012, 04:38 PM
best hunting partner is my wife,no need to argueabout anythng,except when we going,lol

Big Lew
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
"All in all when you have a partner that is a good fit, it makes for a hunt to be remembered and repeated."

I have 3 brothers, all have been good hunting and fishing partners, but the youngest is like you say, 'a good fit' in that both he and I think the same, trust in each other, and instinctively know where and what the other is planning to do. The only problem lately is him watching over me because I'm getting to be an old man in his eyes even though I still have to wait for him occasionally on the steep hills, lol:smile::razz:

scuba
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Yup... Sounds about right. Or my favorite, let's go to your spot and take your truck, trailer, quads and gear...

Brambles
08-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I lucked out first try. My hunting partner is a great guy, takes him a while to figure out how to adjust his pack but nobodys perfect!

Boner
08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
My go to person to hunt with is my dad all the way.it's always easier when you share blood and passion for the hunt.

You bet, it might make him feel good too, if he taught you to hunt in the first place...

Family first.

The Hermit
08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I've mostly had great luck both as guest and host. The biggest problem I've had is that a number of my local hunting friends are younger guys with growing families, demanding jobs, and wives to whom one must acquiesce... meaning they can't go as often as I'd like!

Gateholio
08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Ive taken lots of new female hunters out. Never had a bad experience with a single one of them. Some of the guys were cheap, cheap, cheap and almost needed a babysitter. :)

Jagermeister
08-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Good hunting partners are indeed hard to find. It's not the fault of a particular partner, it is the dynamics that transpire between two people. If one person's dynamics do not correlate to the other person(s), then there can be no harmony.
Many people are chintzy. They have the mind set that you're going anyway, they should not have to pay.
I have a neighbour that I took out fishing, even supplied the rod and reel as the gear he had was laughable. Low and behold, he caught fish, actually outfished me. Next thing I know he is telling me how to catch fish. Wanted to know when was the next time we were going out so he could show me how to catch fish. I told him after he put some diesel in my truck and gas in my boat. He has been shore bound ever since. The other neighbour who happens to "owe' him takes him out once in awhile.
Family is probably the best bet. Wish I had a brother to share that with, just saddled with two sisters. Sons would do but they are too far away and to involved with other interests.

Steeleco
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Good buddies are hard to find. I've had offers to hunt and fish from a few good folks both here and outside. If I can't afford my share of don't have the right amount of time, I'll decline. It sucks cause I know what I'd be missing, but life's a beach LOL

tim3500
08-10-2012, 07:25 PM
After hearing all your thoughts it hits close to home and it only confirms my thoughts that my best hunting parner is my dog. We hunt alone !

quadrakid
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Hell,i find it hard to be with anybody for any length of time let alone on a hunting trip. Worst thing for me is cheapness. Life is short and my trips to the interior are holidays . Hoping things work out with the young up and coming hunters in the family,good men.

BromBones
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Hunt mostly with family so never really have any issues.

After hunting with the guys I have over the years, I find it hard to fathom a 'bad' hunting partner - whether you've hunted for 30 years or are a rookie, just have to show up, keep a good attitude, and do your share of the work - but I guess there are guys who can't do that.

The kicker for me is offering to share the meat if it comes down to it. 9 times outta 10 I'd refuse - the offer is what's important.

sed8ed
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
The best hunting trips I have been on are the two where we each brought all our own stuff, (one brought the boat, I brought two quads, one brought the wall tent) own trucks, secondary tents, etc. Although we drove out there as a convoy we were each responsible for ourselves and great, productive trips were accomplished.

I do have the best hunting partner in the world though... She does exactly what I say, waits for long hours without complaining, ready to go hunting at a moments notice and loves me unconditionally... My lab Isis

frase
08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
A buddy of mine have a mutual friend on Van. Island who is fortunate enought to own accomodation on the west coast and also has a fully equipped boat moored there. We are invited to come pretty well anytime and use his boat, gear, accomodation etc. As a sign of our appreciation we pay for all the gas, we bring and prepare all the food, do the clean up, do any grunt work, and leave it up to him to call the shots and to share the catch as he sees fit. We also replace any gear that is lost, buy bait and lures, and do whatever to make it enjoyable for all. The cost ins't that much and while some may balk at this they should remember that he has the capital cost of the boat, the moorage, the accomodation, the repairs, insurance, and on and on it goes. Its the least we can do. We also purchased him an Islander reel as a Xmas gift a while back, just as a special thankyou. Also remember that you are a guest and the skipper of the boat or the guide is in charge. WE have great times and the cost of the above is probably only $250. each (plus transportaion there and back) for a weeks prawning and fishing. Cheap fun by all and it preserves the friendship.

nature girl
08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
There is always good and bad in some people.
And then there are some that just don't get it.
I personally have had good experiences with other hunters I have hunted with.
If we went on a trip we'd split the costs. We would give gas money and buy food. I always would ask did I give you enough money.
But 90 % of the time I hunt with the boyfriend.
I can figure a guy or girl would only want to go home early if they missed there family.

hunter1947
08-11-2012, 08:35 AM
I hunt with me most of the time ,me is the best hunting partner a person could have ,now that I am retired and living in gods country only a step away I can go and come as I please no one to share the expenses with ,I love it I can make my own calls on where to go where to hunt ,I love living in the Cranbrook to no end :-D :-D..

Ride Red
08-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I hunt with my boys and wife for a lot of the same reasons. My last hunting partner and I got along pretty well, but he was whipped beyond his control. Your hunting partner shouldn't be just seen at time of LEH's and the day you leave for your trip. We hunt hard and work our asses off, but also have the time of our lives. Comradery within the group makes a trip fun and enjoyable. If you don't have a sense of HA HA, I can't hunt with you.
Maybe HBC can set up some personals in the forum for the single hunters. :-P

bassplayer
08-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I took a friend of 30 years into one of my sweet spots and got him a nice 4 pointer. I made him swear not to tell anyone or bring anyone into my spot and a week later he was in there with his friend. I put it on him and his reply was, that spot was there before i was born and will be there long after i'm gone. When a man gives me his word and shakes my hand then it better mean something. Every time i've got a deer since then, he actually has the nerve to ask me where i got it hahahaha.

Big Lew
08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I hunt with me most of the time ,me is the best hunting partner a person could have ,now that I am retired and living in gods country only a step away I can go and come as I please no one to share the expenses with ,I love it I can make my own calls on where to go where to hunt ,I love living in the Cranbrook to no end :-D :-D..

Have to agree, although I've enjoyed hunting with family, my most enjoyable hunting holidays have been my solo bowhunting/fly fishing/hiking trip combos....no one to worry about or accommodate, and I can do whatever, whenever, and wherever I please.

BlacktailStalker
08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
That's the shits buddy I guess your operator buddy turned out to be a dud?

Next time...

Brambles
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I took a friend of 30 years into one of my sweet spots and got him a nice 4 pointer. I made him swear not to tell anyone or bring anyone into my spot and a week later he was in there with his friend. I put it on him and his reply was, that spot was there before i was born and will be there long after i'm gone. When a man gives me his word and shakes my hand then it better mean something. Every time i've got a deer since then, he actually has the nerve to ask me where i got it hahahaha.

Stories like that make it hard to put trust in anyone.

BlacktailStalker
08-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I've met a lot of idiots through hunting but a handful of real beauties also.

mark
08-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Like many others here, I too have experienced both the best and the worst! Good hunting buddies are good to find!

BearStump
08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
went for a week once with a guy I didnt know too well. he was a parent from my kids hockey team. anyway, on day 3 we got pretty loopy on whiskey. he tries to take a poke at his couisins 17 yr old girlfriend and I just managed to drop him in time. as I'm trying to talk some sense into the moron, he pulls his flip blade out of his cargo pocket and takes a swing at me with it. WHAT AN IDIOT. gave him a few choice words and thought that maybe I wont beat the crap out of him today, he's just really drunk, and I'm sure he'll feel like an idiot in the morning. Well 1/2 hour later he comes into the living room of the cabin with his 30-06 in hand tellin me hes gonna kick my ass. Again, WHAT AN IDIOT. I see that his magazine is on top of the tv and hes waving around a rifle with no bolt in it. DOWN HE GOES. Called the cops and had him put in the drunk tank in Kamloops for his, and everyone elses safety.

never been on a hunt with someone I dont know well again.

300H&H
08-11-2012, 01:20 PM

Not cool on his part.
I took a guy to my hot spot with the understanding he only goes with me.
Now he sneaks in ( I saw him ) and thinks I would not find out. Jerk !

Vader
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM
And that is precisely why I prefer dry hunting camps. This and the lack of productivity due to being so drunk they couldnt have hit the mountainside with a rest.

I've had my share of the cheap ones, brother included. I now ask for money up front to put in an envelope which is used for fuel expences on those week long hunting trips. Day trips I mentally take note of who's turn it is to pay and have no problem pointing out who's turn it is to pay. I'm not a bank.

I also have experienced the ultimate of hunting partners who are the best at cost sharing and have packed animals out and when offered declined a meat share. These few have never left me waiting, always chipped in to get stuff done, and always followed the coin flip rule of who shoots first when standing side by side, and their handshake is meant as warm greeting, a fond goodbye, a good shot, a thank you for being there to share the experience and a guarantee of secrecy to those sacred hot spots.

TheProvider
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I never understood "partners" being cheap. I mean even if there's two of you that means you only have to pay %50 of the gas for the trip/season. Great way to save money and get out more often

The Dude
08-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky, but we all agree beforehand, we share all the expenses, and all the meat, incl cutting and wrapping duties!

The rest of the time I hunt alone, so that's never a worry about who foots the bill :-)

Hillbros_96
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=Vade

I also have experienced the ultimate of hunting partners who are the best at cost sharing and have packed animals out and when offered declined a meat share. These few have never left me waiting, always chipped in to get stuff done, and always followed the coin flip rule of who shoots first when standing side by side, and their handshake is meant as warm greeting, a fond goodbye, a good shot, a thank you for being there to share the experience and a guarantee of secrecy to those sacred hot spots.[/QUOTE]

This is why the friends thing is one of the most important. I have hunted consistently with 3 different partners in my 23 years of hunting. I would much prefer to hunt with my best friend, but I have been transferred out here and left him behind in Alberta. Those good times are worth it, we had a good arrangement I did not pay for fuel, but I did pay for meals. It worked for us.

The way I see it, I want to be in the bush with someone I can trust not to shoot me in the back and not strand me someplace. I have dragged many a deer out, and chased wounded animals for all hours of the night and would do it in a heart beat without a moments hesitation with the right partner.

ElectricDyck
08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I've had the best and the worst. I like hunting partners that can keep laughing, even when things are shitty. :)

I think you nailed it there, attitude is key, nothing like some humour to keep spirits up, shitty times make for the best stories latter anyway. :cool:

ufishifish2
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the only one that had a hard time finding good hunting partners.
Most of them I take out aren't too cheap, they are just too brittle.
I break pretty darn near every hunting partner I take out.

Big Lew
08-12-2012, 12:11 PM
" they are just too brittle.
I break pretty darn near every hunting partner I take out."

That's the other part of the problem....either they're not in 'mountain and bushwhacking' shape, or they're too lazy to try.

bassplayer
08-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Stories like that make it hard to put trust in anyone.
True Brambles. I just thought he would of at least value 30 years of friendship over breaking his word. I always hunted solo up to that point but figured it didn't hurt to try hunting with someone i knew.

pg83
08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
The money aspect of the trip doesn't bother me so much as the lack of appreciation. I am fortunate enough to have a pretty solid group of hunting buddies, but we have taken the odd guy out who just didn't fit. If you're going to come along on a trip then you better be ready to pack your weight, period. We're all in it together.

shed-hunter1
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
i useally hunt alone the part i like is when you shoot the big buck everybody wants you to take them out yet they dont have a clue how many hours you put in just to get shot at one

pnbrock
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
We should set up a speed dating afternoon in the bush (nonghay) to find our perfect match

mark
08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
i useally hunt alone the part i like is when you shoot the big buck everybody wants you to take them out yet they dont have a clue how many hours you put in just to get shot at one

X2 couldnt have said it better myself....Ive had guys almost ticked at me after not seeing a big buck in the first couple hours, like I took them to a crappy spot instead of where all the big ones are tied up. lol

frenchbar
08-12-2012, 02:26 PM
X2 couldnt have said it better myself....Ive had guys almost ticked at me after not seeing a big buck in the first couple hours, like I took them to a crappy spot instead of where all the big ones are tied up. lol
You can take me to your crappy spot anyday Mark lol ...jk...:smile: only once in my life i hunted with a TOOL.. never happened again ...its usualy some one that isnt real passionate about hunting .

RayHill
08-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Why would you not do it this way?

1. all bills are split between the party.
2. all meat is split between the party.
3. when road hunting the youngest or newbe gets the first crack at the game
4. and when split up u see it you get to shoot it

Big Lew
08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
With me, even with relatives, if I supply the truck and all the equipment, the others pay for the fuel, otherwise, everything else including the meat is evenly divided. As for road hunting, yes, if it's possible, the newbe gets first crack, otherwise usually the person on the far side of the truck to the animal gets out for the shot if it's too close and likely to spook.

snowriver
08-12-2012, 03:45 PM
I have hunted with some good some bad. I can forgive a lot of things, live and let live. The person I can't hunt with is the perpetual liar. We both walk in different directions, then meet back at camp. I haven't seen squat, no fresh sign, nothing moving. My partner has seen two record book mulies, a couple of six point elk. and a small whitetail buck. When I suggest we both hunt the area he says he would like to try a better place. He thinks this makes me think he is a better hunter. All I think of, if you seen this much game each time your out, why haven't you filled a tag? A partner has to be trusted, making a game plan on B.S. is no plan at all. If my current partner says he seen a trophy unicorn, I'd head back to town to get a tag.

anglo-saxon
08-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Over the years I have taken many different persons on extremely high quality hunting trips into productive and pristine areas.

Common traits have surfaced with all of these people (some folks have more, some folks have less). Here are the character traits that I have observed:

1.) Cheap. Not wanting to pay their share.
2.) Controlling. Wanting to dictate where,what, how,when.
3.) In a rush. In a frenzied rush to arrive and wanting to go home early.
4.) Unappreciative. They often act as if they did you a favour by coming.
5.) Failure to return the offer of a hunt.
6.) Expect first shot at everything.

Some have been excellent and will always be invited.

Good hunting partners are difficult to acquire. Choose wisely and cherish the good ones.

This year I will be flying solo as the good ones are unavailable this season.

It really istoo bad that you've had those experiences, but I understand where you're comingfrom. I hunt solo for the same reasons. I'd prefer not to s it is more fun andmore efficient with a good hunting partner, but this is the way it is for now.I am a very generous person by nature. I will always give a guy the benefit ofthe doubt and will share everything. The problem is there are very few peoplelike that around, I find. I am also highly ethical and will absolutely NOT bendthe law to suit my own ends, regardless of if there is only a slim to nilchance of getting caught. The last guy I hunted with was a pretty good guy, buthis major flaw was always bending the rules. It eventually caused frictionbetween us and I ended our association right there. I will not allow someoneelse to dictate the manner in which I exercise my principles.

My list of MUST HAVE'S in a hunting partner:

1. Know the law and abide by it (be ethical above all else).
2. Be thoughtful and considerate of others (that means, be on time, bring theright gear, make sure you're prepared correctly in every way, and be preparedto pitch in with any work).
3. Be intelligent and capable of thinking in both a sophisticated and abstract manner(you don't have to be a genius or have a degree, but if you're a clueless clod,you're a non-starter).
4. Be calm (over-excited or overly type-A's are a pain in the arse and aliability).
5. Be proactive in settling $'s. I don't want to have to come after you (and ifI do, it will be both an alarming experience for you as well as our last hunttogether).
6. Have a sense of humour. I don't need to be entertained and I don't need aclass clown, but if you don't have a sense of humour, you will go down earlyand hard when the going gets tough (in which case you will become a liability).
7. Be prepared to sit down with me and plan in detail a long time prior to thehunt. Make sure you know what the hell you're talking about and providevaluable input into the equation, otherwise you're just along for the ride andthat will eliminate you as a viable partner. That means you know your animals,you know your terrain, you know maps, vehicles, how to estimate time and space,etc., etc.
8. Be moderate. If you're a drunk, you're a non-starter. If you can't have a coupleof beers or a couple of shots, etc., without turning it into a major session,so you're no good the next day, you're a non-starter. If you have extreme tendenciesin character, temperament, in fact in any way, shape, or form, you are also anon-starter. Pulling extreme or goofy $hyte on me or anyone else around memesses with my enjoyment of the hunting experience and will not end well foryou.
9. Even if you have never hunted before, your moral commitment of the intendedpursuit of the above factors will make you a worthy partner during the hunt.But do your homework and show up ready. Or don't show up at all!

Personally, I really don't think this is too much to ask of a person!

ElectricDyck
08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
You can take me to your crappy spot anyday Mark lol ...jk...:smile: only once in my life i hunted with a TOOL.. never happened again ...its usualy some one that isnt real passionate about hunting .

Yeah I think when you meet someone who is really passionate about hunting you are already a good fit, the only thing left is to get it done.

frenchbar
08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah I think when you meet someone who is really passionate about hunting you are already a good fit, the only thing left is to get it done.

ya most of the time your probably right E.D ...but im sure theres still the odd exception..

Moose63
08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I think cheap ones know they're not going to be hunting with you again for whatever reason, so why not rip you off as a parting gift. Quite predictable, who will be the returnees and who will not....

bc sportsman
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Seems like the vast majority on this thread are of like mind. Had a few groups that deteriorated over time. Sort of like an old married couple that forgets how to communicate and argue about everything. These have always been my expectation:

Been hunting for 35 yrs. The good groups I have hunted with and stayed with have common sense and respect for each other. Most guys I’ve hunted with have good judgement and respect but on occasion, some decide do their own thing. At that time, I move on regardless of how much I like the guy and how close a friend he is.
1. Share in the work and in the hunting effort. That includes setting up and breaking camp. The camp was yours regardless of whose camp equipment it is.
2. Respect other peoples’ stuff such as vehicles, tents etc.
3. Respect the opinions and information offered by others. You don’t have to take the advice…but be respectful. And speak up when you have something to suggest or do…we want to know what you think. We want to learn from you.
4. Let others take their turn doing things if they wish….like doing the shopping, organizing the trip etc. The work and responsibilities associated with the hunt is half the experience.
5. Safety first…and let others know where you are going for the day.
6. We share costs, we share effort and camp chores, we share hunting time, we share information about what we hear and see. It’s not a competition and there are no secrets.
7. It doesn’t matter if you hunt on your own or go with someone on any particular day…let’s just have a great time. And everyone is allowed a day off from hunting every once in a while…what’s the big deal.
8. Absolutely no drinking and driving. I don’t want to work till I drop to pay your quadriplegic costs for the rest of my life and because my truck insurance became invalid when you drove my truck or ATV while drunk and got into an accident.
9. No drinking more than a couple beer (or equivalent) while in the bush for the day. We don’t want to waste our precious hunting time to go find you because you’re drunk and got lost or carry you out because you hurt yourself.
10. If you want to party hardy a couple times during the trip, it’s after the hunting for the day is over and no one is driving or touching guns. And a couple times means a couple times…not every second day. And moderate drinking after the end of the hunting day is fine…but make certain you look up what moderate drinking means. http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm/
11. If we bring you to a special place we know, you respect that and don’t share that info with anyone else outside the group. Neither do you show up with others to hunt the same area. BC is a big place. Show some gratitude to the persons who shared their special spot with you by putting out the effort to find your own spot if you are moving on with another group or will be hunting on your own.
12. If you leave the group early during a hunt to go with another group of hunters or to do something else that you enjoy, then fine…we will miss your contribution…but don’t expect to share in any game we down after you have left. If you are not here with us, you are not part of the team so don’t expect to reap the benefits. Family or work emergencies are always an exception.

rcar
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I have to give you credit for continually believing in the better good of man and kept trying. I can relate to fishing buddies more than hunting but your thoughts sum up many of the reasons I hunt solo. I moved here 20 years ago and left the best hunting/fishing buddy on the planet behind, not realizing it until I had the opportunity to spend my slim and precious rec. time with buddies, that turned out to be a horrible fit in the bush. I have read it here on many occasions that a great hunting partner is a lot harder to find than a good wife....I truly believe that!

Good thread BTW!

tightgrouper
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
I really like this thread. I am a very new hunter and have a few 2 week trips and many small trips under my belt.
The first thing I noticed about finding good hunting buddies is making sure your on the same page on gun safety. Man oh man, I just can't do it with the guys that aren't on the same page as I am. I understand that people are different thats fine, thats part of it. But I am quite focused after seeing 3 accidental discharges one of which what feet behind my head from a guy cycling ammunition in camp, fiddling with someone else riffle which he was told not too. He say he never pulled the trigger and thats fine. No loaded guns in camp.
And the guys that are real loose about gun safety I find kind of arrogant about it. It kinda pisses me off. Its a fear reaction I guess.

The rules I am comfortable with:

No Loaded or loading guns in camp.
Do not touch other peoples riffles without permision.
Never point your rifle at anyone ANYTIME!!! If/when you do acknowledge it and learn from it try not to do it. It happens I know but at least try to learn.
No loaded guns in vehicles... ITS THE LAW.!!!! follow it.
You may ask your buddy as many times as you like if he has one in the pipe, is he mt, is his safety on, is his clip out etc. without him getting frustrated or short with you.
Anytime something out of the ordinary happens, whatever it is, MT or check your rifles. Shit happens and it becomes easy to be distracted especially at a potential shot or when something unusual happens whatever it may be.

I am really new at this. Am I going over the deep end on this stuff?

My buddies we all chip in a large amount of cash before hand. Everything is split food meet chores. No crazy drinking for sure. In all honesty we suck at hunting for none of us have any mentors. We all took up hunting and nobody in any of our family's hunts. We are all middle aged to. Its kinda a bumber, oh well. So none of us really know what other people do. We have a great time though and we put some meat in the freezer too.

Big Lew
08-12-2012, 09:27 PM
It's pretty hard to 'go over the deep end' when it comes to safety.....as it's been said over and over again, complacency kills. I personally know of incidents where carelessness or lack of knowledge when handling firearms have come close to wounding or killing someone. I will say that in some wilderness camps it's wise to have a loaded gun in camp providing everyone knows where it is safely placed.

tightgrouper
08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
It's pretty hard to 'go over the deep end' when it comes to safety.....as it's been said over and over again, complacency kills. I personally know of incidents where carelessness or lack of knowledge when handling firearms have come close to wounding or killing someone. I will say that in some wilderness camps it's wise to have a loaded gun in camp providing everyone knows where it is safely placed.

I agree. Nuff said.

ohotnik
08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
bc sportsman you have nailed it big time! I have exactly the same set of rules for myself and ny buddies.