PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Calling Techniques

blaker_99
11-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Hope everyone is doing good out there and by the sounds of it there's a lot of your who dropped mule deer in the later part of the season. Congrats. I am just finishing up rifle whitetail season, as well as many of you and looking forward to bow only season!! I was just going to put together a list of calling/rattling techniques you all use for pre-rut, rut, and post-rut whitetail hunting. Just doing a bit of comparisons so let me know what you think. Thanks all

Rod
11-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I would be nice to have the same info on mulies and blacktails, I don't know if they respond to calls or not?

Rod

GoatGuy
11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I would be nice to have the same info on mulies and blacktails, I don't know if they respond to calls or not?

Rod

They aren't 'supposed' to. There are a few books written on their behaviour. A lot of Geist's old work (the good stuff) was on muley's. They generally don't reply to 'horning' or grunting. I have called a couple in when whitetail hunting but they were more curious than anything I suppose. Also used the grunt tube to stop them many a times.

GoatGuy
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Usually start out calling for the first 1/2 hour. Don't bother with the antlers until a little later.

You don't really want them pinpointing your spot; usually once they know exactly where you are they'll start circling and then you're buggered, especially with a bow.

Start off quiet, and short bursts and work your way louder and longer. Give lots of time between calling/rattling (15-20 min +).

rock
11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Last year 7 blackails brought in with bleat grunt tube and antlers, all the same area over 2 one day hunts seemed to work fine for me there just curious as any animal specially in the rut. Whitetails react alot different then mulies or blacktails, but I've called both to me using different styles mulies I call every year but usually with a bleat call blacktails I use the bleat with grunt as well as antlers, whitetails is grunt with antlers.

beeker
11-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Usually start out calling for the first 1/2 hour. Don't bother with the antlers until a little later.

You don't really want them pinpointing your spot; usually once they know exactly where you are they'll start circling and then you're buggered, especially with a bow.

Start off quiet, and short bursts and work your way louder and longer. Give lots of time between calling/rattling (15-20 min +).

how many grunts would you recommend at a time?

GoatGuy
11-17-2006, 04:21 AM
how many grunts would you recommend at a time?

Come by Thirteen shot wonder's on Saturday with Ty and we'll fiigure something out for Sunday. :)