PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with boned out meat

rides bike to work
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I am going on a pack in trip in September were the only way to get the animal out is to bone it out. Just wondering what you guys do with the meat that's boned out my idea is to keep the large roasts and straps in the fridge for a few days then cut and pack it the other stuff I will grind into burger. This is a lot of work though and my wifes not to keen on me filling the fridge with meat for a week. Do you guys ever bring it to the butcher boned out? I want toake sure my meat is top notch.what's the best process for boned out goodness.

specbelly
08-09-2012, 02:37 PM
either work, just make sure it is clean and well cared for when you de-bone the animal

rem338win
08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
What do you do with boned out meat....eat it. :razz:

Bigbullsh$tter
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Depends what you killed.....if it's tough old grissled bull elk, i'd just make sausage and burger out of it.

Ron.C
08-09-2012, 04:16 PM
de-Bone it if you can, especially if you are going to a cutter with a big animal "moose/elk". Why pay top $$$ for xtra bone weight only to have the cutter bone it out in minutes and toss away the bone??? And The cutter knows what to do with game meat that has be de-boned. I now do all my own cutting when hunting locally, but when hunting far away from home and have no choice but to use a commercial cutter, I always ask for the same, As many steaks,roasts as possible. Minimum ground possible. I can always grind stew chunks myself, or roasts/steak that may made it through till the following season and process that into sausage/pepperoni at that time.

Key is, get it cooled fast, keep it clean as possible. You should have little problem delivering boned meat to any reputable commercial cutter and getting a good product if you can do that.

Lastly, make sure you leave proof of species/sex to a large muscle group if you are bringing it to a comercial cutter boned out, or until you get it home for processing

hunter1993ap
08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
hang it for a few days if possible. the reason you take your animal with the bone in to a cutter is to reduce the trim. when you de bone there is more waste in trimming than if you keep the meat on the bones. how do you plan on fitting a de boned animal in your fridge? i guess it depends on what species you go for. what animal are you going for.

08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I use pillow cases, or good quality game bags, age it for 10 or 11 days in a spare fridge, then get at er and cut it into roasts, steaks, chops, bits to sausage and ground.

If that don't work for you then maybe .........

Thoughts of "American Pie " are more up your alley .......... not me.

CT

hunter1947
08-10-2012, 02:31 AM
I keep the hind quarters in tack after I have boned out the bone I tie the meat back together when the bone is out the back straps are cut off on both sides just like flitting a fish.

The neck meat is trimmed off for pepperoni sausages hamburger ,the front legs if a big game animal I do the same as the rear quarters when you take your hind and front quarters to the butcher you can get the meat cut into steaks and roasts ,,, and of course the hart and liver come out with me..

frase
08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
I have an old fridge that I keep in the garage and just hang and store meat when its warm and/or when I'm prepared to deal with it. It will hold a deer easily (with the backstraps off) and quartered. A moose would be a different story and would have to be deboned for sure; even then it would probably be a little small. Once the meat is cooled off I leave the door open a little to allow the air to circulate.

rides bike to work
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the info I'll be going for deer so I think I'll butcher it my self I got a line on a free extra fridge for the garage I'll put the meat on the racks for a couple of days .

September is almost here I'm stoked

BCRiverBoater
08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
When the meat is de-boned and in what ever cheese cloth or pillow cases you use treat it like full quarters. Do not let them touch each other when being hung. Also do not stack on top of each other. Many people think the smaller pieces cool fast and do no need to be separated. If they are hung after being shot and touch each other they do not cool properly and can cause problems just like larger full quarters.

ElectricDyck
08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I've aged my deboned meat in a spare fridge for a week or so by just putting it on the racks, after a week if your humidity is right you'll lose a bit of meat on the exterior that drys out, which you trim off, some through it into the ground meat, I just throw it out. Once on an august hunt we had a freezer back at camp which I made shelves for and we layed it in there in game bags and then thawed it slowly at home and cut it up.

Brambles
08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I debone all my wild meat before I cut it regardless if it was done in the field or at the house. So just do what you normally do, steaks, roasts, grind, etc etc