PDA

View Full Version : Coquihalla Summit to Tulameen

bogtrotter
08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
i'm going camping at Otter Lake next week and thought I try to get there via the Coquihalla instead of Hwy 3. Anyone familiar with the FSR's to Tulameen ? What condition are those roads in ? I'm driving a Subaru Outback.
Thanks

jjsachmoe
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
the roads aren't bad back there, it gets a lot of traffic. I've seen loads of people in there driving minivans and street cars. Just keep left as you go in and follow the signs that they posted for the snowmobilers, and the forest service road signs as well.

genockous
08-08-2012, 05:17 PM
You should have no problem,great scenery and wildlife,just take your time.

bogtrotter
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a go - thanks !

Steeleco
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
To add a little to the other posts. You need to take the Britton Crk rest area exit off of the Coq. At the entrance to the rest area turn right one more time. About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard. Down that road at about the 6km mark, you'll be faced with two choices. The right turn will take you to what's called "River road" of the two it's the better road for "city cars!!" Just pay attention to the signs for Tulamean and you'll be good. The left turn (actually straight option) is the Lawless road, it's a little harder on anything less than a truck or SUV. Stay on the main and it too will take you to Tulamean. Both roads actually meet up again about 1 block west of the general store on 2nd ave IIRC.

Whonnock Boy
08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard. Down that road at about the 6km mark, you'll be faced with two choices.

Was just there this past weekend. I would say it's about 150 yards. Other than that, I think your memory is serving you well. :razz:

Hillbros_96
08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Was just there this past weekend. I would say it's about 150 yards. Other than that, I think your memory is serving you well. :razz:

Have to agree with you Whonnock as I was down there on Saturday seeing if there was anything of interest.

thehammer
08-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I am also going that way in September with truck and camper. Whats a good Forestry campsite to stay at? From steeleco
note looks like I can take the left or right road.

Thanks

natebavis
08-09-2012, 10:27 AM
murphy lake is nice, and decent fishin for small rainbows

Iron Glove
08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Have to agree with you Whonnock as I was down there on Saturday seeing if there was anything of interest.

No, Steelco is correct - the "Y" junction which goes to River Road or Lawless is about 6 km down the road. The 150 yards from the cattle guard will not get you to Tulameen.
Steelco's suggestion of the River Road as being easier on a non truck is a good suggestion as much of that road is a wide, nicely graveled highway compared to Lawless. There are some ugly parts as you near Tulameen but overall easier than Lawless. Lawless is very doable in the Outback - we've taken our Forester down it many times, just have to take it easier.
Did Lawless last Saturday AM in the Ranger and it's in good shape as far as Lawless goes and might be taking it late this Saturday evening but my old eyes, dark road, full stomach, no sleep ( and of course orders from the wife :mad:) just might find me doing the Hope Princeton instead.
:sad:

thehammer
08-09-2012, 02:07 PM
"the "Y" junction which goes to River Road or Lawless is about 6 km down the road."

Which is the more scenic road with nice forestry campsites?

Elkhound
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
it is such a nicer drive than the road from Princeton

Whonnock Boy
08-09-2012, 04:53 PM
No, Steelco is correct - the "Y" junction which goes to River Road or Lawless is about 6 km down the road. The 150 yards from the cattle guard will not get you to Tulameen.

:sad:

I think our wires are crossed. Steeleco said, "At the entrance to the rest area turn right one more time. About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard." I am saying that this turn off is not a Km down the road. Yes, the main junction that goes either to Lawless or the Tulameen - Jacobson is at the 6 k mark. Actually it is closer to 7 Km. ;)

Steeleco
08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
WB, you are correct, I suck at distances LOL I've done both so many times I don't pay attention to the road, I'm looking in the hills and valley's LOL

Iron Glove
08-10-2012, 07:10 AM
I think our wires are crossed. Steeleco said, "At the entrance to the rest area turn right one more time. About 1km down that road you'll need to turn left and cross the cattle guard." I am saying that this turn off is not a Km down the road. Yes, the main junction that goes either to Lawless or the Tulameen - Jacobson is at the 6 k mark. Actually it is closer to 7 Km. ;)

Gotcha, yes, Steelco was just trying to confuse all of us.
He does that so we can't find all of his secret bear hunting spots. :wink:

Iron Glove
08-10-2012, 07:15 AM
"the "Y" junction which goes to River Road or Lawless is about 6 km down the road."

The only forestry site is Murphy lakes which you access from Lawless.
Lots of nice pull outs tho' on both roads to camp if you can do without a picnic bench and an outhouse.
Off of Lawless there are nice spots either side of the bridges that cross Squam and Lawless Creeks.
"More scenic" - depends on what you like. Lawless is higher in most parts, might have a few nicer mountian views. River Road where it follows the Tulameen has some fantastic river views. If you simply want views tho', the Hope Princeton is better.
Suggestion: Take one road into Tulameen and the other one out.

Whonnock Boy
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
On those main roads, Iron glove is correct in stating that there are no forest service sites. However, if you follow the Tulameen-Jacobsen along Vuich Creek (past Tulameen-Olivine and Tulameen-Champion) there are two FSS at about the 36 Km mark. One is on the left, and one on the right. I THINK the one is Vuich Creek Falls FSS and the other is Sutter Creek FSS. Just before the Vuich, there is a trail that leads to the falls. It has a small sign directing you to it. Looks like it would be about a KM hike down.

Leaseman
08-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Actually, to be more exact it is just past the 8km marker....... both are nice roads, but right turn will take you into mine and logging traffic..... left turn (straight) is more Tulameen traffic..... right longer and a bit more open and for the last stretch takes you high along the edge of the river..... watch for bike and foot traffic closer to town and the odd local screaming along the road.......

Remington17*
08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Hwy 5 to Tulameen, rolled through with my 1/2 ton with my 30ft travel trailer in tow a couple years ago coming back from Otter Lake... you should have no problem very nice scenery.

OceanMon
12-25-2017, 11:09 PM
I'm thinking of driving that road this weekend (January)... Is this feasible or will it be snowed over? Thanks

Steeleco
12-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Forget it till April at the very earliest. There's an outside chance the road in from Britton Crk to the Coal mine is plowed, but as the mine isn't operational I have my doubts. It's wasn't open last year!

OceanMon
12-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

MichelD
12-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Forget it till April at the very earliest. There's an outside chance the road in from Britton Crk to the Coal mine is plowed, but as the mine isn't operational I have my doubts. It's wasn't open last year!

That's what I figured. I've seen nearly impassable snow in October there but if your vehicle has tracks in the rear and skis in front you should be okay.

Busterpayton54
12-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Last update I saw on the coquihalla snowmobile page was tolco would be plowing the road for a ways up until the end of December.