PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Hunters

untilthelastbeat
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
hey guys, im hoping all you experienced mule deer hunters will help me out. iv only hunted mulies once before but i am not new to hunting at all so im well aware of the basics. realy what im looking for is ANY AND ALL information or tips on mule deer habitat, food, elevation, best hunting conditions, activity at diferent times of year, rut habbits, hunting tactics and anything else you can think of.

I know alot of you are going to say "search previous threads" but i find the search on this site very inacurate if your looking for specifics. too many threads come up with nothing in common to what your looking for and when you narrow it down nothing comes up. so it would be greatly apreciated if you dont mind just repeating alll your wonderful information another time. Thank you so much in advance. im going on a 10 - 14 day hunt and i want to do everything i can to prepare and get a nice buck down.

Here is the game plan. im going to be hunting like i said 10-14 days north east of lillooet near west pavilion road. planning on leaving around nov 10 trying to catch the rut. i plan on doing lots of hiking mountains and canyon areas spotting from a distance and making a stalk. has anybody had experience calling or rattling muleys in the rut? do scents work?

Thanks guys cant wait to get out there!

dave_83golf
08-07-2012, 11:56 PM
This is quite the request... They can be rattled, but nothing like whitetails... If your looking for a big buck, you have to approach it like any other species of deer... Move slow, glass A LOT, be patient, and look to the valleys and ridges. Mule deer like the steep SH!T. The most important thing I've found with seeing big mule deer is hiking... Get out of the vehicle and you'll see deer... The monster however, he could be anywhere, at anytime... Your dates are good. You will see a bunch of game... Most importantly however... Make sure he's got 4 before you pull the trigger. Some monster 3 points out there that you'd swear are 4's... And have fun --- good luck

BiG Boar
08-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Read a couple books on the subject would be a much better start than just taking "internet guys" advice. They go through habitat, feed, location during the year, and how to best hunt them. Thats your best bet. Then ask questions, based on what you don't figure out from a few of the books.

untilthelastbeat
08-08-2012, 06:51 AM
thanks dave. i kno its alot to ask but im not looking for secret spots or anything like that. just trying to be as prepared as i posibly can be so when i do get up there i dont miss an oportunity. id hate to come home and regret doing something stupid because i "didnt know better". so i apreciate all the information more than you realize. cant thank you enough.

untilthelastbeat
08-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Read a couple books on the subject would be a much better start than just taking "internet guys" advice. They go through habitat, feed, location during the year, and how to best hunt them. Thats your best bet. Then ask questions, based on what you don't figure out from a few of the books.

I am reading books and searching as much information as i can from all sources.. this is just another resource that im using to gain knowledge. i dont expect to get a couple pointers and be a great hunter but when it comes down to it, real life experience is priceless. so again i thank the guys that have given me useful information, it has helped greatly.

Hillbros_96
08-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I find them really unpredictable in the rut, and I tend to find a batch of does to keep a eye on.which of course makes stalking more difficult. I prefer earlier in the year where they are a little lazy and once they bed down, I have a couple of hours to put a decent close stalk on them. I prefer to shoot mine with a bow, but a rifle makes it easier as you do need to get as close.

curt
08-08-2012, 07:45 AM
If I was you I would ask Dana for a few pointers this guy is a machine at tracking down some tank Muleys not that there arent loads of guys on here that are but he really sticks out so does Mark!! But it sound like with your tactics you should be just fine, I love to sit and glass from elevated positions has put me onto lots of game over the yrs!!! Good luck

Fullcurled4point
08-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Hey check out the books "high country mulies" and "Public Land Mulies" Eastmans publishes em and youll find everything in those two books...

keithb7
08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I am fairly new to hunting but spent a ton of time at it in my first year, last season. I am in tha Kamloops area and we do sem to have tons of areas to seek out that elusive buck. I too wanted a big buck but was learning. I learned that it seems 90% of folks out there don't want to get out of the truck. There are thousands of hunters out there in their warm trucks with their tunes playing, laughing with their buddies, deer hunting. It is easy and comfortable but your odds are low to find that big buck. Bucks adapt to the continuous pressure they feel in hunting season. They go to areas where there are few to no hunters. Steep terrain with no roads in, would seem like a place few of us would go. I spent hours and hours of time in my truck with other experienced hunters last year. As the days went by with out much success I started to wander off the beaten path. I did start getting closer to the deer. I had a few intimate encounters, I was getting that feeling it was gonna happen. I never did see that big buck I dreampt about but I learned a lot more about hunting deer by getting out and hiking. I started going more often alone, I took my time, and glassed a lot. I have a lot more to learn but hunting from the truck is behind me. You may get lucky and see one from the truck, but I am convinced your odds are greatly increased if you hike.

Wackman
08-08-2012, 09:21 AM
X2 this sounds right to me. I am an inexperienced hunter myself
but I have NO intentions on joining the leagues of lazy, lard a$$ed pseudo "hunters"
that are trolling for deer from their vehicles. I believe to become a real hunter,
you have to get off the roads and learn as much about the woods as you would
want to know about the game you are persuing. That's the way I look at it

I am fairly new to hunting but spent a ton of time at it in my first year, last season. I am in tha Kamloops area and we do sem to have tons of areas to seek out that elusive buck. I too wanted a big buck but was learning. I learned that it seems 90% of folks out there don't want to get out of the truck. There are thousands of hunters out there in their warm trucks with their tunes playing, laughing with their buddies, deer hunting. It is easy and comfortable but your odds are low to find that big buck. Bucks adapt to the continuous pressure they feel in hunting season. They go to areas where there are few to no hunters. Steep terrain with no roads in, would seem like a place few of us would go. I spent hours and hours of time in my truck with other experienced hunters last year. As the days went by with out much success I started to wander off the beaten path. I did start getting closer to the deer. I had a few intimate encounters, I was getting that feeling it was gonna happen. I never did see that big buck I dreampt about but I learned a lot more about hunting deer by getting out and hiking. I started going more often alone, I took my time, and glassed a lot. I have a lot more to learn but hunting from the truck is behind me. You may get lucky and see one from the truck, but I am convinced your odds are greatly increased if you hike.

ghost
08-08-2012, 09:36 AM
When you find a nice track and you are following it keep in mind that bucks like to double back and bed on the downwind side try to figure if the buck was going from pointA to pointB.Quite often that may be a straight line, if it looks to meander or wander he could be finding a spot to rest.When glasssing drop to your knees and you see ahead of alot farther than standing up.That is also the line of sight of the deer.You want to see them before they see you.Good luck

skibum
08-08-2012, 09:36 AM
X2 this sounds right to me. I am an inexperienced hunter myself
but I have NO intentions on joining the leagues of lazy, lard a$$ed pseudo "hunters"
that are trolling for deer from their vehicles. I believe to become a real hunter,
you have to get off the roads and learn as much about the woods as you would
want to know about the game you are persuing. That's the way I look at it

Dude, you just slammed the door shut on yourself

ruger#1
08-08-2012, 10:00 AM
There are also bighorn sheep in that area. Some nice bucks in the Upper Hat Creek ranch. You should do fine. Lots of open area to hunt. Take a whitetail tag with you also. Four years ago we seen some in that area. If they are still open.

Wackman
08-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Dude, you just slammed the door shut on yourself

Road-hunting is not a door I need open :-)

The Dude
08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
There are also bighorn sheep in that area. Some nice bucks in the Upper Hat Creek ranch. You should do fine. Lots of open area to hunt. Take a whitetail tag with you also. Four years ago we seen some in that area. If they are still open.

There's a lot less this year, thanks to target practice by some folks that will probably never see a day in Court.

dave_83golf
08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
keep in mind that many people road hunt because they are physically unable to hike the miles and miles that some other hunters can.... were all hunters, a group of conservationists, who respect nature and wildlife.... no need to generalize those who sit in their vehicles..... sometimes its a nice break to get out of the bush and into the truck...

Wackman
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
keep in mind that many people road hunt because they are physically unable to hike the miles and miles that some other hunters can.... were all hunters, a group of conservationists, who respect nature and wildlife.... no need to generalize those who sit in their vehicles..... sometimes its a nice break to get out of the bush and into the truck...
I was not generalizing at all! My comment in my post was targeting the "lazy hunter" that perpetually goes driving out along the backroads hunting conveniently. In no way was I implying phisically challenged people should not have their fair share hunting. I have a handicapped person living in my household. Maybe you should read posts a little more careful before sounding off. :-)

bigslim
08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Spent many hours with a boned out Muley in my backpack, a real feeling of success when you get back to the truck. I would never admit about the deer I have shot road hunting. I don't want some of you HBC members to think I'm one of those lazy lardasses people so often talk about.

BIGSLIM

BRrooster
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Ive had good luck hunting in October in my area. The Mulies are leaving thier summer grounds and heading south. You could almost track them with a compass. I get off the roads and head in the timber a ways, not too far though. Most people wouldnt think of hunting Mulies from a tree stand , but thats what I do. On a good day , I could see twenty plus animals. Lots and lots of does and fawns , some small bucks and a few small 4pts. The big guys move at night it seems. One day though maybe Ill get a chance at Grandpa . Any north south ridge is a good place for a set up.

keithb7
08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
No harm in hunting from the truck if you want to, or need to. No harm meant to those who do, intended in my post. I was offering advise that I have learned from personal experience. Let me re-word by saying, if "I" want hunt from my truck, in my personal experience, I think that "I" would be less inclined to find a buck. I also tend to think that if I get out and hike, I am more likely to find bucks that are hiding in areas where there is less hunting presure. This is solely my opinion and may not apply to you. It seems to make sense to me. If you have your own opinions, formed by your own experiences, by all means pls share them with us.

untilthelastbeat
08-08-2012, 10:41 PM
thanks for all the input guys. i apreciate it

trophytom
08-08-2012, 11:13 PM
There are a few Key things that you will tag out each year, if you follow them.
#1- Time of year Ideal Oct 26 (pre Rut) to Nov 20 Rut.
#2-Note Book, jot down all the sign, sitings of everything you come across, review it the night before and KEEP GOING BACK if you find a hitter, or it's sign
#3- Fir Ridge habitat, though out the province mule deer dwell in the mature fir stands, all the way to the alpine.
#4- Cover scents, load it up drench yourself.
#5- Cammo match your terrain, hide your face and hands.
#6- Get Out Of The TRUCK! go 100 yards into the tree line look for sign as you go, if yes continue if no, new fir ridge.
#7- Still hunt, walk super slow in the timber, look for legs and ears, if you make noise stop and wait a few moments and continue.
#8- In the field before daylight, leave at dusk.
#9- Ask where to go in the field, the best fella to ask...the grader operator, sport shops, anyplace people love to brag take it with a grain of salt, but use it if it sounds good.
10-most important good binos, and glass all the openings you can see, constantly, this is paramount good optics, a must, scan scan spot spot you get the idea.

This has changed my game to 100% success rate in spotting game, pass up lots, and my freezer is full every season

untilthelastbeat
08-09-2012, 06:45 AM
awesome thanks trophytom. exactly whta im looking for. i realy apreciate you guys that take the time to help others out. it means alot and it gonna help me get that bigbuck on the ground :) thanks again guys and havea great season

redwards92
08-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I was not generalizing at all! My comment in my post was targeting the "lazy hunter" that perpetually goes driving out along the backroads hunting conveniently. In no way was I implying phisically challenged people should not have their fair share hunting. I have a handicapped person living in my household. Maybe you should read posts a little more careful before sounding off. :-)

lol I don't even. . . .
let me quote you real quick bud.

"but I have NO intentions on joining the leagues of lazy, lard a$$ed pseudo "hunters"
that are trolling for deer from their vehicles. "

That's quite the generalization in my opinion. Looks to me like you were the one who "sounded off" and need to read your own post more carefully. The other poster just helped you realize not everybody has the ability to do otherwise [hunt outside of truck/hike mountains].

just sayinggg. . . ..

BigfishCanada
08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
i love all hunting including road hunting, Yep, laughing, talking, listening to the radio, heater. Yep love that also... lol (Ive seen some big ones road hunting, just never tagged one)

BUT !!!!!!!

If you want a big one, just my experience, its to find doe sign during the rut, well off the roads, then get a tree stand or blind. In my case I went to my blind where it had a ton of fresh sign, and my buddy said see you in an hour and off he went walking from my blind area. Right before dark, a trophy came running in front of me, one whistle had him stop within 20 yards where I took him. I think he knew my friend was walking that mtn, he didnt know I was sitting waiting for him.

This is purely my opinion and experience, I am not a Sr. person on this, just a guy that likes to shoot deer. But this year, Im sitting my ass in a tree stand a hell of alot more than road hunting :)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426385_10150586651541523_2055096877_n.jpg

dave_83golf
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
redwards92 - couldnt have said it better myself...

mikeman20
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
i have found the further i am away from other people, the more i glass and the slower/quieter i walk the more mulie bucks i see.

hunter1947
08-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Like you said you will be doing lots of hiking this is good this would be first on my list ,as for lots of glassing looking for deer sign and rubs ...

Would Rather Be Fishing
10-22-2018, 03:25 PM
thanks dave. i kno its alot to ask but im not looking for secret spots or anything like that. just trying to be as prepared as i posibly can be so when i do get up there i dont miss an oportunity. id hate to come home and regret doing something stupid because i "didnt know better". so i apreciate all the information more than you realize. cant thank you enough.

I know this is an old old thread, but maybe I am in luck: Any book recommendations on the subject? Please don't say "read the amazon reviews" :-)

boblly1
10-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Remember though that a mule deer buck must be a true 4 point eye guards do not count in areas that the restriction applies

Downwindtracker2
10-22-2018, 04:45 PM
When it comes to mule deer, you are living in an area where a lot of the successful hunters know a lot more than the writers. A writers most important skill is writing ,not hunting.

dana
10-23-2018, 05:21 PM
The Edge by David Long and Mike Duplan. Both guys are as hardcore as they come and are incredible DIY giant muley killers. New book so you should be able to find it online. David Long has a couple more books including Public Land Mulies.
Mike Eastman Hunting High Country Mule Deer is an absolute must read.
Val Geist Mule Deer Country is by far the best book out there for learning about the mule deer species.

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2018, 05:58 PM
The Edge by David Long and Mike Duplan. Both guys are as hardcore as they come and are incredible DIY giant muley killers. New book so you should be able to find it online. David Long has a couple more books including Public Land Mulies.
Mike Eastman Hunting High Country Mule Deer is an absolute must read.
Val Geist Mule Deer Country is by far the best book out there for learning about the mule deer species.

I know this is an old old thread, but maybe I am in luck: Any book recommendations on the subject? Please don't say "read the amazon reviews" :-)

As dana says above best books/must read on the subject, I own and have read them all........

blackbart
10-23-2018, 06:09 PM
This may have been mentioned previously, possibly even by myself. Walt Prothero has a few good ones on Mule Deer and Hunting in general.

REMINGTON JIM
10-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Kirt Darner ! :grin: RJ

Husky7mm
10-23-2018, 07:36 PM
This may have been mentioned previously, possibly even by myself. Walt Prothero has a few good ones on Mule Deer and Hunting in general.
X2, great mule deer books. The loop methods is my go to.

dana
10-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Kirt Darner ! :grin: RJ

Hahaha!!! How to Poach Giant Bucks.

butcher
10-23-2018, 09:08 PM
No kidding. Go buy a chute plane while you’re at it.

dana
10-23-2018, 09:27 PM
No kidding. Go buy a chute plane while you’re at it.

No one uses chute planes any more. That's too old school. Now it is Drones. ;)

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2018, 09:35 PM
Hahaha!!! How to Poach Giant Bucks.

Yes and I have autographed copies of his books..........:oops:

dana
10-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Yes and I have autographed copies of his books..........:oops:

Best chapters are How to steal racks out of barns and How to break in to a Taxidermist Shop. :)

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Best chapters are How to steal racks out of barns and How to break in to a Taxidermist Shop. :)

to funny andI came within a few minutes of booking a hunt with that poacher but Jack Atcheson Sr was very diplomatic when I asked about booking a hunt with him.......he said well Don his ethics are in question, I can't recommend a hunt with him try this guy or this guy.....thankfully I listened to Jack.

REMINGTON JIM
10-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Kirt Darner was my HERO ( Remingtons Too ! -Remember the Ads ) and then the SH*T hit the Fan :shock: Not just Poached & Stolen Deer but Sheep too ! WTF ! :twisted: RJ

dana
10-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Kirt Darner was my HERO ( Remingtons Too ! -Remember the Ads ) and then the SH*T hit the Fan :shock: Not just Poached & Stolen Deer but Sheep too ! WTF ! :twisted: RJ

Was my hero when i was growing up too. But seeing the old stolen buck side by side with his buck, 2 deer can never be that exact. In more recent times he stole a bunch of live elk, trucked them in horse trailers and was going to release them on his ranch. Did some serious jail time but last I heard they released him early due to him being in very bad health.