PDA

View Full Version : Moose 3-30A

tobertuzzi
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
So my sisters boss got a moose draw and needs someone with gear to take him. My brother in law and I said we would. I have never hunted that area, any info would be greatly appreciated. Its for 3-30A in october.
Thanks in advance

I will be scouting in august, just looking for a starting point. Im thinking the NE corner up bonaparte river, on the A-B border.

tobertuzzi
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Or should I just take the fly rod instead.....lol

Downwind
08-08-2012, 08:45 AM
There are moose up there. The last time I hunted that area was a few years back now but we saw a bunch of moose, including a few big bulls but we were only hunting the immy opening. Lots of big mule deer in that area too and it's any buck when you're heading up there. Weather is the only thing that can be iffy. You could still get a warm spell that could make things tough. Oh and definitely bring your fly rod, lots of good fishing. I have always liked the Bonaparte lake area for hunting and fishing.

tobertuzzi
08-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah Ive heard the fishing is good there. I will be looking for immys and mule deer and I dont have the bull tag, so thats good to hear there are animals up there. Im thinking we should head up at the end of october so we can hopefully avoid any warm weather. Thanks alot for the info Downwind

burger
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Eagan lake area has some good spots for moose. Lots of cuts up there that are in that 2-3 year range now. Just spent the last 10 days up there and came across a few big bulls. Was watching two on Monday night feeding when all the lightning was going on when all of a sudden a big boom of thunder and I have never seen two bigger animals move that fast ever. They busted it for the thickest brush!!

tobertuzzi
08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Wow that must have been quite the thing to see, would be awesome to get something like that on video eh. You were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully it works out for you when the season opens.
Cheers for the info
T

tobertuzzi
08-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately Eagan lk area is in 3-30B.....does look like a great spot on google earth

Machinist
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I have hunted the north side of Bonaparte lake quite a few times over the years and we allways get at least one Bull outa there , and without LEH we were lucky enought to find immy's in there. We camp at the FSR on the west end of the lake , then go down the lake in the boat and hunt the aspen stands on the north side , there is no road acess on that side once you get past the old Thunderbird resort just a quad trail, if you hike high up off the lake you hit the cut blocks on the back side , Hope this helps.

tobertuzzi
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks machinist, the bull draw is for 3-30a which is from the highway east along bonaparte river to about young lake so we wont be able to hunt bulls on the lake but ims going for immys so I might look around there.
Cheers