PDA

View Full Version : First Moose!

7mmWSM
11-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Well after much anticipation I headed up to region 5-15C for LEH moose last weekend. We stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge on Quesnel Lake (my uncle Walter works there). By the way Skeed and Sharon (owners) are extremely nice and if you are looking for a place that caters to hunters and fisherman I can highly recommend them to you (nllodge.com). All the hunters we met hadn't seen moose in 7 days (or deer) which was kinda spooky. We spent the first day getting the lay of the land, and taking a look in some clearcuts.That evening we spotted two moose in a steep cut full of snow. I stalked to within 30 yards, but turns out they are both cows. Missed a coyote on the way back to the lodge. The next morning we headed back to the same area, only a few minutes after turning off the main gravel road we encountered very fresh tracks in the new snow. 400 yards later there he was standing in the middle of the road! The first shot took him through the heart, and the second put him down for good. Very young bull, but I figure it’s a good way to start moose hunting and man were those tenderloins ever good. All that snow was beautiful. Thanks to chinooker for the advice, sorry I didn' t make it up the Cariboo River, we were saving that for when things ran dry in the cutblocks! Don't know how to post pics yet, hopefully soon.

Steeleco
11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Congrats, looks tasty!!!

Gus
11-16-2006, 04:02 PM
That will be a gooder eater, good job!

beeker
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Right on! Congrats on your first moose kill.

bsa30-06
11-16-2006, 06:03 PM
congrats on your first moose kill.

luckynuts
11-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Awesome !!! congrats on a great hunt

W.

meat hunter
11-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey , that will be some gooood eating.

Mr. Dean
11-17-2006, 01:11 AM