PDA

View Full Version : Need to take kids deer hunting

atvone
08-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I am looking for a place fairly close to the lower mainland to take my kids deer hunting. I normally go north moose hunting and haven't really hunted deer but this year I am looking for a spot to take the kids deer hunting. I don't want anyones secret spot just a little info on where my kids can have an opportunity at a deer. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Ioneth
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm currently working at Stave Lake and have been seeing lots of deer there not sure how it would be this hunting season the water would be low then and the mud trucks probably out on the flats making lots of noise. There is also pit lake if you got a boat, chilliwack?

Steeleco
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Are your kids hunting the youth season? If so then I'd suggest anyone of a number of exits up the Coq north of the toll plaza complex. You pick the one, there's not just a few.

natebavis
08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Agreed, kingsvale exit, go thru brookmere you can beanch off so many roads hikes sitting ponds all over there, good luck with the kids

coach
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Are your kids hunting the youth season? If so then I'd suggest anyone of a number of exits up the Coq north of the toll plaza complex. You pick the one, there's not just a few.

Good advice! No point staying in the Lower Mainland. Doesn't take much longer to get to Merritt than some of the areas around Stave or Harrison. You'll see more deer and less people. Good luck to the kids. Make sure you post up the pics and story.

bugler
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Just a thought, take em out of school and take em up north for a week. They'll learn more!!!!

yota
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Just a thought, take em out of school and take em up north for a week. They'll learn more!!!!

X2 I used to love missing the first week of school to go hunting with my family. I learned more in that week then I did all year at school lol jk

atvone
08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Thank you all for the information, I was thinking of going up towards Merritt. As for taking them up North for a week, the both play rep hockey and one is going into grade 9 so it is hard for them to miss a full week. A couple of days is doable though.

Thanks for the replys.

Trophyslayer
08-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Anywhere around Princeton is good in youth season

pg83
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
my brother and I missed some school every year in the fall. Just plan it around tests is you can and the kids will be fine. I used to study on the drive home until it got too dark to see. Butcher meat when we got home(not all the time though) and then off to shower and bed. I'm not yet 30 so it should be doable!!! I know I loved those trips possibly more then my dad did.

TheProvider
08-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Check the regs and look for times where there's no antler restrictions and also if a antlerless season over laps with it. Kids will be happy just seeing deer and learning about them. The bang, flop in the truck method isn't very educational

bugler
08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you all for the information, I was thinking of going up towards Merritt. As for taking them up North for a week, the both play rep hockey and one is going into grade 9 so it is hard for them to miss a full week. A couple of days is doable though.

Thanks for the replys.

Ya, my kids played rep hockey too. In hindsight, I think maybe I should have taken them on more trips to the woods instead. It is too bad that our hockey culture doesn't really allow for it.

The kids loved their hockey and learned a lot from it too, but I do feel that they missed out a little bit on true adventure.