PDA

View Full Version : 6-08 moose?

MichelD
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
My buddies got a bull moose draw for 6-08 starting September 25.

They were fortunate enough to have that draw 8 years ago and I went along as chief cook and bottle washer, wood cutter, skinner, butcher, packer, third driver and psychological counselor.

Anyway, on that occasion they hunted up on Chapman Road north of Topley but the spot we were in was getting pretty grown up even then and moose were hard to spot except in particular crossings if you found them.

We were wondering if there were some areas in the region that were logged more recently, say somewhere in the 3 to five year ago range that might make it a bit easier to spot a moose.

Any private messages in reply would be welcome if you know the area a bit or were there in the past several years.

Thank you.

porcupine
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Hunted the GOS last year up there on the east side of Babine. First time in 11 years of our moose hunting party that our group did not get a moose. I spoke with the G/O for that area and success was way down last year. I'd try west of Babine and up at the northern end.

silvicon
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
No moose in 6-8!
Hit hard by indians from Moricetown, Smithers, Houston and Babine.
Plenty of wolves and bears to kill during calving and rest of year!
Best is you stay home and not go looking for trouble!

Wild one
08-05-2012, 08:26 AM
There is still plenty of moose up there seen lots this spring. I have family up there and yes last season was tough for most.

Topley would be an area to stay away from as it is a bit of a dead zone in my opinion. Get away from the towns and the crowds you will find moose. I would not be looking for clear cuts my self but instead more open timber

Can't give you anymore than that because the areas I know I was asked not to tell people by the people who showed me

MichelD
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Thank you for the advice.

ryanb
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
The harder the area to access, the better luck you will have...read between the lines here and you will do well. Bulls will come to calls late September, don't concern yourself with clear cuts.

Cordillera
08-08-2012, 09:09 PM
There has been a fair bit of logging in 6 8
in the part three years but a few years before that it wasn't that busy so you'll not find so many clear cuts of that perfect age. The harvest was concentrated south of burns lake and Houston for that period. There are lots of good moose areas but generally they mean getting off the main roads a bit in the way you most prefer. I like a canoe others like quads or.... The tag you have drawn is prime. Best of luck.

MichelD
08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Any other tips please?