PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer elevations?

Bc Deer Hunter
08-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Quick question, i have been seening quite a lot of mule deer in lower elevations, do you think they will stay down low come september, and october or head up for the hills? ......Thanks

Buckmeister
08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I see your from Kelowna, are you refering to deer in the Kelowna area? While I'm not familiar with hunting the Kelowna area, I have been told that heading up hwy 33 you will find mule deer down low, and the whitetails up higher. Why? Not sure.

Maybe the grub is better down the hill? Maybe the population #'s are up, thus pushing the deer around? My guess is that there are deer down low and up high. What are you hoping to hunt for? Any buck, or just the big boys? Typically, the bigger boys are up higher and are more reclusive. However, I have seen some big bucks right in the valley bottoms too.

So in other words, just keep you eyes open, and take what you feel comfortable with.

snareman1234
08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Seen a 4pt yesterday at 1000 feet, and it hit 32 degrees yesterday afternoon.... Anythings possible.

Bc Deer Hunter
08-05-2012, 03:45 PM
No just region 8 deer in general. I have seen plenty of mule deer lower this year so far, so they must be going were the green's are!! thanks for the tips!
and snareman thats sounds about right!! Deer are down low low and lower, but it always seems that as soon as season opens they are no were to be found??? Illusive mulies i tell ya!

lineofsight
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
When I'm out there they are generally in the second growth 12' pines where you can see sign but no deer...

Brambles
08-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Every year is different and every area is different. Last year we couldn't pay money to see a deer in the alpine. And I suspect with the second year in a row with late and Wet spring we are gonna see a repeat of the same. Some area's faired better then we did. Only way to know is get out and see for yourself.

Buckmeister
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
X2 what Brambles wrote, every year is different. Two seasons ago I was always seeing deer in one particular meadow up in our back 40 every time I passed it, all year long. Then last season, I think I only saw 1 deer the whole year in that meadow. Now this year, in the last month, we have had bucks passing through our yard, heck, there was a 30" wide rack that was spotted 2 days in a row not 100 yards from the house! But with this heat wave, and as is usual for August, the deer seem to be more scarce lately. All I can say is that I always have my eyes open wherever I go cause you never know where you will see one.