PDA

View Full Version : Howcome there isn't any snowshoe hare posts?

brazen
08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Is hares for sissies or something? That's what I'm after and I'm not learning much on this forum! Did i miss some threads??!! 8-11 or any thereabouts! Both my targeted hot spots got LOGGED this year lol! Still hunting, never shooting, want to learn to feed myself!!

dana
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Took the kids out yesterday and only saw bunnies. Got another month at least before those little ones become shooters. ;)

anglo-saxon
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Howcome there isn't any snowshoe hare posts?

Maybe they don't have internet access!

bigslim
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I prefer hareless

happyhunter
08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't know what your hares are like but here in the kootenay the hares are tough eating. I asked an old timer once what was the best way to cook a hare. He said to boil it in a large pot of water with a rock. When it's done boiling you throw the hare away and eat the rock. Lol could be why u don't hear much about hard hunting.

kishman
08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Maybe they don't have internet access!

Beat me to it, started laughing as soon as I read the post:razz:. Seriously though, I've shot Hare's when the chance has presnted itself. But I can't say I've ever gone out specifically for them, the hunts I've watched online that involve guys chasing them with Beagles does look like a ton of fun though. Love to try that someday.

-km

Grousedaddy
08-03-2012, 04:45 AM
Did you try the small game forum?

riflebuilder
08-03-2012, 05:38 AM
We went on a spring bear hunt once and forgot the food box on the table at home so all we ate was hare broiled on a spit over the fire with no seasoning just smoke flavor. It got old after a while but we were eating 6 bunnies a day for a week. I havn't killed one since. They are fun to hunt with a bow. When you find an area with bunnies get out of the truck and slow hunt on foot just look for brown and movement. The bunnies when spooked usually just runn far enought to freeze once thry feel safe. Good luck they are lots of fun.

SR80
08-03-2012, 07:02 AM
whens the rut? i bet the big guys will come out then.

Rhyla
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I would love to try hunting snowshoe hare. Only ever seen one while out in the bush though, which doesn't give me much optimism. That was actually this spring while we were out looking for bear. Surprised the heck out of me. It was just sitting on the side of the road.

brazen
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
anglo and kish, would love to hunt with you folks. I only have so much time/gas money to get uphill myself, figured i had it made this year since i found out some places where they are already...but...those areas no longer exist! I am still just learning to work the .22, probly still will be when I'm 50, but hope to EAT SOMEthing by then lol!

I will check the small game forum, in case i haven't...

reach
08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Got one with the bow on Wednesday. Right now I'm contemplating what to put in the pot with it for dinner tonight.

ufishifish2
08-03-2012, 03:33 PM
There was a thread once..... then we kicked the guy off! :)
I remember helping the guy out for an area out near Princeton that I saw tonnes of hares, but that was a couple years ago.

ElectricDyck
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I saw tonnes around princeton this spring, a couple more years and I'll take the kids out for them. I've only had one roasted over the fire and it was terrible sour and tough. Probably make good sausage though.

rides bike to work
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
So I just read the regs and read the note that white tail jack rabbit and nuttalls cotton tail are protected species so I looked at some images of all the species not much difference really .what I noticed is the snow shoe hares have white feet but not white tail were the other ones have a white tail .any one have tips on identifying snow shoe hares. I'm heading to cold water exit area for the weekend and have a tactical 22 with laser site to pop some hoppers for dinner.

anglo-saxon
08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
anglo and kish, would love to hunt with you folks. I only have so much time/gas money to get uphill myself, figured i had it made this year since i found out some places where they are already...but...those areas no longer exist! I am still just learning to work the .22, probly still will be when I'm 50, but hope to EAT SOMEthing by then lol!

I will check the small game forum, in case i haven't...

Is it just me or does this sound a lot like Jelvis?

reach
08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
So I just read the regs and read the note that white tail jack rabbit and nuttalls cotton tail are protected species so I looked at some images of all the species not much difference really .what I noticed is the snow shoe hares have white feet but not white tail were the other ones have a white tail .any one have tips on identifying snow shoe hares. I'm heading to cold water exit area for the weekend and have a tactical 22 with laser site to pop some hoppers for dinner.
A quick Google shows both of those species were only ever found in the Similkameen and Okanagan valleys. The White-tailed jackrabbit hasn't been spotted since 1981.

tuffteddyb
08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
tried the wild hare ONCE,i go with the cook with a rock idea.
much prefer the ones i got out back,nice big,tender and damn tasty,marinated in
olive oil and greek spice then slooowwwww bbq.

brazen
08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Is it just me or does this sound a lot like Jelvis?

omigod no it's not just you, i just actually got laughed off another forum for being 'confusing', and when i re-read myself, i thought, gees, i wonder if i sound kinda like jelvis, however, i have read some jelvis on here, and, i like him and understand everything he says. I have google earth placemarks filled with his comments, too. I haven't read him enough to see why the above (normal???) post sounds like him?? but i guess i don't come off too normal in print for some reason. Very strange.

Edit: Actually to be quite honest i told a dude who invited me bear hunting on here when i was real new that i actually think i want to feel kinda like jelvis does one day...getting shunned on a forum wasn't what i had in mind! Careful what you wish for!

For the record, I am a normal person with maybe a quirky sense of humour. I guess someone will let me know if i am weirding readers out... :(

reach
08-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Got one with the bow on Wednesday. Right now I'm contemplating what to put in the pot with it for dinner tonight.
In case anyone is curious - I chopped up an onion and threw in the bunny with a jar of "Marsala Simmer Sauce" I had picked up at Costco a while back. 6 hours in the slow cooker = tender and tasty. Will definitely take another one if it's foolish enough to step out on the lawn. :)

horshur
08-03-2012, 10:20 PM
A quick Google shows both of those species were only ever found in the Similkameen and Okanagan valleys. The White-tailed jackrabbit hasn't been spotted since 1981.

I seen whitetail jackrabbit in the early 90's in the hills above ollalla when we lived there......

bosca
08-03-2012, 11:26 PM
is it just me or does this sound a lot like jelvis?
lol!!!!:-p

Ronforca
08-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Used to hunt the snowshoe hare a lot with hounds a long time ago.We would usually go out with several hunters.It is great sport.We used shotguns.as it is a bit scary when a few people start shooting around you with 22's.The lead usually really flies when guys start shooting at a rabbit running in front of a hound.
As for eating they are very good in a stew and even better with a grouse thrown in the pot with the rabbit.Have enjoyed eating many'especially when I was first married in N.S. and got laid off for the winter.That was our main meat.My wife got a bit tired of Rabbit.

keoke
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
On my way camping there was a rabbit on the road and thought I would try my first bow kill. Well I got the hair not the hare lol. The shot hit just in front of it and skipped under or over, im not sure.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/399525_10150958918031167_1423129658_n.jpg

Ioneth
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Get a greyhound or whippet if there are any rabbits or petty much anything moving they'll catch it for you :P The first whippet breeder we met told us that pretty much once a week there is a dead rabbit at the door a gift from one of her whippets. :)

brazen
09-08-2012, 03:19 PM
update, finally nailed me a snowshoe this morning! Gees, though, enough room in there to stuff with a few trout if the flavours matched...hmmm. Made a stew, just ate, yep, just like chicken. Adding red wine = good idea! Neighbor just told me one way to skin is stick a straw through a hole under the hide and blow it off, wow. Surprised they don't seem to realize you're there, neither do the roadside grouse who seemed to say to me 'see ya in a couple of days'...next up....So i guess i'm almost a seasoned hunter now, however smalltime, lol!

happy, satisfied, fed

RiverBear
09-08-2012, 05:40 PM
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/RiverBear21/032-1.jpg

The Dude
09-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Congrats! I used to raise rabbits as a kid. Grew up on the culls! Used to hunt them later with a pal, European varying hares.
Mom had chickens and ducks, dad had a massive garden. We didn't buy a lot of 'outside' food. :D

If you have a crock pot, look up recipes for rabbit, I love the stuff! :D

ruger#1
09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Mix a rabbit and grouse together. Makes a great stew.

brazen
09-08-2012, 08:43 PM
lol! friend tole me add two squirrels, boil 2 hours for a meal lol! Hey, was plenty for 3 of us on a bed of noodles! I'm not real clear on what seemed to be a whole nother membrane layer after skinning...left it on, seemed fine, didn't notice it anywhere after cooking - is that part of the meat or what??

The Dude
09-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it's like a protein-based casing. You'll notice it if you grill a rabbit, esp if it's older, (Like a plastic wrapper melted on) but if you stew or crock pot it, it breaks down nicely.
As you noticed.
I love wabbits.
They're tasty.

Allen50
09-08-2012, 08:54 PM
maybe the snow shoe hares computer is down and they cant post and pic or info about them selfs,,,,,,:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-08-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hare_hunting_2012_001.jpg (javascript:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Hare_hunting_2012_002.jpg (javascript:;)

Mishka
09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
When you put it in a stew or crock pot, do you bone it out and cube it or leave the bones in?

brazen
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I plunked it in whole, slid the meat all off when it was cooked, returned the little drumsticks intact :)

kishman
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Well done man! That Hare in her right hand is real beauty.:mrgreen:

Jetboat
09-10-2012, 01:44 PM
We used to shoot a LOT of bunnys back in the late seventies when they were peaking in the north. My neighbour and his buddy filled the box of his Toyota pickup to the top in one afternoon! They used to call the Alaska Hiway "the Fur Line" due to the thousands of snowshoe hares flattened on the road. Back in those years, I was working in Wonowon and living in Fort St John. On a typical drive home after work, we would splat a dozen or so with the dually one ton, they were so thick. We didn't hunt them, more like we shot 'em like gophers in Saskatchewan! The lynx were thick as fleas on a bloodhound's back in those days. Then suddenly, seemed like nearly overnight, they were gone. The lynx population crashed along with the disappearance of their number one food source. As for eating, my favorite way was to take a pair of shears, snip off the lower legs, pull the skin off, then snip off the head. Tear open the belly and pull out the innards. Then toss the cleaned carcasses in the pressure cooker. We'd cook them for 10 minutes once the weight started to rock. After cooling, the meat would fall off the bones when ya remove the lid. Chop up the boneless meat, mix with some chopped up sweet pickles (or dill pickles, your choice) some chopped onions and Miracle Whip and voila, rabbit salad. Serve on buttered toast and enjoy. Bon a petite :)

juiceterboost
09-11-2012, 03:44 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/154893_464476461575_1174253_n.jpg

seanps
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
After three seasons of hunting Region 2-6, saw my first bunnies this week. All were on a particular road at high elevation. Got off a few shots at one, but didn't do any better than just scaring him really badly.

For some reason, my dog couldn't pick up its scent -- or any of the other rabbits I saw. He can follow bear, deer and grouse trails (and squirrel, of course), but didn't get anything from the bunny. Wonder why?

Grousedaddy
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Why hasnt this thread been moved to the small game section LOL

ElliotMoose
09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
They sure are fun during off season, good practice for pups too. We usually boil em and make home made irish stew with some guiness thrown in. Turns out nice

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/chrisbrien/037.jpg

Fishgutz
09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Now that's a nice brace of rabbits!

Husky7mm
09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I heard of a good snow shoe reciept the other day...... put it in a pan of bowling what with a rock, when its done cooking drain, throw the hare away and eat the rock! LOL

RiverBear
09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Got this guy on the weekend
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/RiverBear21/020.jpg