PDA

View Full Version : how do u guys finish off a wounded deer

olympia
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
how do you guys dispatch a wounded deer that you have shot with your bow and now have just walked up to it and its sitting under a tree bleeding? do you wait for it to bleed out? do you shoot it again with the bow?

1980skywalker
08-02-2012, 05:25 AM
If you have walked up to it after shooting it with a bow then you havn't waited long enough. Let your arrow fly and walk away for at least a half hour before very cautiously proceeding to try and track it. If you push a wounded deer too early your chances of recovering the animal will be drastically reduced and your next post will be 'how do you find a deer?'

Ron.C
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Valid question, and it has happened to me twice. Both times becuase my shots were nothing that I am proud of. The first was on my first ever archery deer. A little blacktail spike buck . I knew my shot was too far back, maybe liver gut. We waited over 4 hours before following up, and it was still alive. I shot it again. My second was a young elk that dropped hard on the shot an I spined it. It went down on the spot like it was shot wih a rifle. I waited what I thought was an appropriate amount of time, better then 30 minutes to return and see it lying there alive. A shot it again. Both second shots dispatched the animals quickly and both instances were from early archery season mid day-early afternoon where the temps were quite high

BiG Boar
08-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I went Bow-hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?

Shooter
08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Somehow I just KNEW a shovel was coming into this thread...lol

digger dogger
08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I went Bow-hunting once. Shot the deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?
I witnessed it, it actually took an hour and four mins.. for such a big guy BB doesn't swing a shovel like i woulda thot..
Boy was it messy..:-)

ruger#1
08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I witnessed it, it actually took an hour and four mins.. for such a big guy BB doesn't swing a shovel like i woulda thot..
Boy was it messy..:-) Was it one of those kids plastic shovels you get with a pail and siffter? That would make sense.

huntcoop
08-02-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWl85DaJqj4

ruger#1
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
That is the same excuse Bigboar is trying to use.

digger dogger
08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I do know his wife was pissed that he took her shovel. Sorry Corey:-)http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/daveshuntingshovel.jpg

Lozzie
08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
A guy I know grabbed a buck he had shot by the antler, he presumed it was dead. The Buck stood up and started to thrash his antlers to wards buddy's face. He pulled his knife while still holding the deer's antler with one hand, just then it bucked knocking the knife from his hand. The thought in his head was" What the F**K do I do now? Just then he remembered he had a small pocket knife, he pulled the knife and slit the animals throat. It died shortly there after. I think the moral of the story is " Two knives are better than one" or " A deer in the hand can still kick your ass!"

bugler
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
If you get a clean shot to the chest shoot him again. If he lets you get close enough he is nearly done as it is, but a well placed arrow will finish him off quickly.

todbartell
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
nunchuks :D

gamehunter6o
08-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Now if you were using a .223 this would never happen.:roll:

cameron0518
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
nice to hear an honest response. good on you.
Valid question, and it has happened to me twice. Both times becuase my shots were nothing that I am proud of. The first was on my first ever archery deer. A little blacktail spike buck . I knew my shot was too far back, maybe liver gut. We waited over 4 hours before following up, and it was still alive. I shot it again. My second was a young elk that dropped hard on the shot an I spined it. It went down on the spot like it was shot wih a rifle. I waited what I thought was an appropriate amount of time, better then 30 minutes to return and see it lying there alive. A shot it again. Both second shots dispatched the animals quickly and both instances were from early archery season mid day-early afternoon where the temps were quite high

91Jason91
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
targ shoot with your bow more or dont take as far of shots so that you will get a kill shot.....

Wild one
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
If you spine a deer you will need to finish it and another arrow can do the job.

A little off on your yardage or a deer trying to duck your arrow and you have a spine hit it can happen even at close range to anyone. I don't care how well you shoot foam animals can move.

bigslim
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Always one shot instant kills, have taken advice from all the self proclaimed super marksman on this site. Thank all of you for your uncanny insight into ballistics, angle of shot, moisture content of air and windage. A great help when I am winded heart pumping and full of buck fever, but most of all wearing the correct underwear

Cheers BIGSLIM

jmo
08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
targ shoot with your bow more or dont take as far of shots so that you will get a kill shot.....

Its stupid answers like this that reck this site.

Allen50
08-02-2012, 09:42 PM

what,,,, why did you not shot it again with the bow,, hummmm...makes one wounder, you carry a shovel while bow hunting,,,

olympia
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
i do target practice twice a week for about an hour each time, my question was more geared toward a situation if i was to make a bad shot and now i have a wounded animal on my hands and i would like to dispatch quickly and humanely, people giving me answers like ie:a shovel, nunchuks, why do you wanna know? dont actually do me anygood.

The Silent Stalker
08-03-2012, 12:30 AM
I know shovel and nunchucks don't really help but they really make for some giggles. Now, back to the question..... Just pull out my 357 magnum and put one in it's head, then..........

The Hermit
08-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Always one shot instant kills, have taken advice from all the self proclaimed super marksman on this site. Thank all of you for your uncanny insight into ballistics, angle of shot, moisture content of air and windage. A great help when I am winded heart pumping and full of buck fever, but most of all wearing the correct underwear

Cheers BIGSLIM

LOL thanks needed a morning smile!

Yes, if possible fling another arrow (or two). You won't be spoiling much meat and it will end the suffering more quickly.

springpin
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Nun chucks rule!! You could also hire the A-Team to find the deer and kill it...if you can find them that is...

ElectricDyck
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
We slit the throat of a buck that dropped right in front of us (rifle) , I don't think it ended it any quicker, we had a good shot on it the first time, next time I think i'll just give it some time.

Krico
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I've had great results with the rear naked choke, or a Hulk Hogan leg drop. One bear this spring needed an extra arrow though...

bugler
08-03-2012, 09:01 PM
We slit the throat of a buck that dropped right in front of us (rifle) , I don't think it ended it any quicker, we had a good shot on it the first time, next time I think i'll just give it some time.

You are braver (or dumber!!) than most. I would not get near the head of a deer that is still alive. People have been killed trying to cut the throat when it still has some life.

J_T
08-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Back in the day I was hunting with a young guy who shot his first elk at about 50 yards. The elk went down (not completely dead but probably imminently about to die) and this young fella dropped his gun and in one motion dove on that elk and pulled his knife. It was primal and exciting as hell as he secured his first elk kill. But I wouldn't recommend diving on the neck of a live elk.

The Dude
08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Holy Anti-Fodder this thread is.

If you make a clean shot, as you have a responsibility to do, you let the animal lay down and die a peaceful end.
If not, and you can follow it, you make another shot, and make sure the animal doesn't suffer one more minute than it has to.

End of thread.

REMINGTON JIM
08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Now if you were using a .223 this would never happen.:roll:

LMAO ! :smile: the 223 ferternity will love that ! Cause it would never have happened using a killer deer ++++ cartridge like the 223 is ! :wink: LOL RJ

In reply to your question If it were my deer laying there still alive i would try and arrow it again to kill it ! :smile: RJ

Barracuda
08-04-2012, 10:41 AM
it really depends on the situation. if an animal is mortally wounded and it is just a matter of time before it slips away then letting it slip away may be your choice .
if it is anchored and in distress then a mercy shot from a safe distance is another option .

happyhunter
08-04-2012, 12:16 PM

If you make a clean shot, as you have a responsibility to do, you let the animal lay down and die a peaceful end.
If not, and you can follow it, you make another shot, and make sure the animal doesn't suffer one more minute than it has to.

End of thread.

Couldn't agree more. If for some reason you do not have another arrow to make another shot and you must resort to your knife, put the blade between the ribs aiming for the heart. This is quicker and more humane then going for the throat. Better still, take extra arrows!!

s0ylentgreen
08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
here is a related question:
you hit a deer with an arrow in archery season - is it then legal to finish it off with a rifle?
what would the CO's say?

cloverphil
08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
you hit a deer with an arrow in archery season - is it then legal to finish it off with a rifle?
what would the CO's say?

is it even legal to carry a rifle during bow season, would be the next question for the CO

Personally if you missed vitals when bow hunting, you should ethically obviously go with another arrow to end the animals pain ASAP from a safe distance

Barracuda
08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
if its archery only season then thats exactly what it means.

cant use a firearm to dipatch said critter.

REMINGTON JIM
08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
what would the CO's say?

No rifle ! Archery ONLY season ! :wink: RJ

gamehunter6o
08-04-2012, 06:32 PM

End of thread.

Hunters don't KILL deer, we just put them to sleep don't we. Go around any grave yard and the head stones will say ASLEEP or AT REST.

Gateholio
08-04-2012, 06:35 PM
LMAO ! :smile: the 223 ferternity will love that ! Cause it would never have happened using a killer deer ++++ cartridge like the 223 is ! :wink: LOL RJ

In reply to your question If it were my deer laying there still alive i would try and arrow it again to kill it ! :smile: RJ

what is a "ferternity?"

Davey Crockett
08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Bayonet and/or the 'people's elbow'

lorneparker1
08-04-2012, 07:58 PM

yes!!!

Lorne

gamehunter6o
08-04-2012, 08:03 PM
what is a "ferternity?"

fert = dung/crap ternity=forever

180grainer
08-04-2012, 08:36 PM
how do you guys dispatch a wounded deer that you have shot with your bow and now have just walked up to it and its sitting under a tree bleeding? do you wait for it to bleed out? do you shoot it again with the bow?
Generally, I slap it while saying loooooossssserrrrrrrr.

180grainer
08-04-2012, 08:38 PM
what is a "ferternity?"

Maybe it's like when you and your wife want to have a child.....and you have to screw forever......just saying.

REMINGTON JIM
08-04-2012, 09:28 PM
what is a "ferternity?"

LOL ! :smile:

The Dude
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
A "Ferternity" is the time between planting and composting your garden......
....... and actually EATING something outta your garden.

Rhyno
08-05-2012, 08:15 AM
what would the CO's say?

This is a no-no......while dropping off an elk at the cutters, the butchers informed my buddy (a CO) of a moose that came in shot during the archery season with a bullet hole in it. The guys said it was a finishing shot....he lost his moose and got charged.

The Dude
08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Stop feeding the trolls, please.
That would be great.

rem338win
08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
what is a "ferternity?"

If you have to ask......

Its the only thing Roseanne Barr is good at.

olympia
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
so are you allowed to carry a firearms for "animal defense" while you hunt with a bow? i was hoping to go bowhunting but also carry my 303 in case mr bear showed up.

BiG Boar
08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
so are you allowed to carry a firearms for "animal defense" while you hunt with a bow? i was hoping to go bowhunting but also carry my 303 in case mr bear showed up.

Simply put, no. If you are seen "pursuing game" with a firearm, in a bow season, or zone, you are going to have to a lot of explaining to do. I asked a CO that exact question last year, and he said do not do it.

bugler
08-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Since grouse are open during bow season where I live you might get away with packing a shotgun, but who needs the extra weight. I carry spray, which statistics show to be more effective anyway, and generally can't be bothered to worry about bears.

J_T
08-08-2012, 09:19 PM
We used to always carry spray, but after some far to close encounters both on downed elk and in search of downed elk, we're all packin the big stick now. Our last occurrence, two of us had pepper spray and the wind was blowin hard into our face. We were at about 4 yards from the Grizzly. Didn't even pull the trigger on the spray.

bugler
08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, when retrieving game more than an hour or so after a shot I take a smoke pole, but can't be bothered while hunting. But I don't hunt the same griz country as you quite so much...

hunter1993ap
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Simply put, no. If you are seen "pursuing game" with a firearm, in a bow season, or zone, you are going to have to a lot of explaining to do. I asked a CO that exact question last year, and he said do not do it.
can you hunt coyotes and deer at the same time? while carrying a bow and rifle. i would see it causeing some trouble if you had a deer down and a rifle in your pack, but it would be so evident what you shot it with it should not matter.

J_T
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Ourea, gotta clean out your inbox.

Sorry for the sidebar.

Peter Pepper
08-09-2012, 08:00 PM

I don't agree. You ca carry a non-restricted anytime in a legal shooting area. Target practice ect

Iron Sighted
08-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Yes, because in the real world things always go perfectly to plan and everyone who spends lots of time practicing never, ever ends up making a less than perfect shot....

wsm
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
375 h&h to the back of the head @ 3 yrds

J_T
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
375 h&h to the back of the head @ 3 yrds I guess that makes for an interesting european mount.

afflicted 1
08-16-2012, 04:28 PM
I usually use reverse..

Bowzone_Mikey
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Peoples Elbow followed by a Master lock

walks with deer
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
For deer prviously shot shhot again in lungs or slit the throat (do not use a gun)

In regards to packing a gun while bow hunting you are fool not to in bear country.

olympia
08-17-2012, 05:43 PM
For deer prviously shot shhot again in lungs or slit the throat (do not use a gun)In regards to packing a gun while bow hunting you are fool not to in bear country.i would like to take my .303 with me in case of bear/predator attack but some guys on here say it is illegal, i dont want to break any laws, i will call the co office and ask them when i get a chance