PDA

View Full Version : Any info on 3-41 Would be greatly appreciated

biggyun68
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi Folks:
My friends and I got a limited entry moose group hunt for the upcoming season and we just got back from a couple of good days reccee up in 3-41.
We saw lots of moose sign and even heard a couple around some of the high lakes.
Our draw is for November any Bull.
This our first moose hunt after 3 years of deer hunting and any information tips, hints for our second reccee trip would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Biggyun68

Jelvis
07-31-2012, 04:26 PM
You will do well in MU 3-41 for any bull. What lake were you thinking about hunting by or what creek drainage? Any in mind?

cameron0518
07-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Drive around, look for them, see bone, shoot. Just like hunting deer but they are bigger and easier to see. Do not overthink it.

biggyun68
07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
We scouted the Skyline lakes, Graffunder Lakes, the Bench above the Thompson from Vaveny to Avola and the Finn Creek drainage

Jelvis
08-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Finn Creek is good for moose. That area is known by the Kamloops guys who've hunted for decades.
Moose hunters like it because as you drive in, the road goes up into little benches with water, a slam dunk for creatures who need water by the gallons.
I would try Finn Creek area in November near the snowline or in the knee deep stuff and down.
Pro rut means the bulls hold up in some thicker patches resting and munching and drinking.
Jel .. Finn Creek with the moose .. and fishing is good too. Hah. Mule deer is a plus.
.. Take a spin up Finn

beni
08-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Will be seeing you around! A few family members have draws during November as well. Found moose, just nothing with bone during shooting light. There can be a LOT of snow in those areas heading up the main haul road towards Graffunder and Skyline. I went up and over to Adams through there last year in November and had to take the long way home (Barriere then back to Vavenby). Bring chains with you if you are planning on going up there in November ;)

mac
09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Excellent info, Thanks guys. We drew a cow/calf there in November as well. If you see a charcoal dodge diesel, stop us and we'll have a chat. Our first scouting trip only covered the vavenby area (caribou road, adams lake road etc). Lots of active logging/road making in progress. Some very large equipment in there. Lots of wolfs have been spotted when we chatted some loggers there. Next scouting trip will be for the finn creek area.

beni
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, I just found out about all of the logging that has been taking place... I haven't seen it for myself yet, should be able to post more info later on.

Jelly is correct on Finn Creek, lost of the buggers in there. Our camping spot was occupied last year so we had to change our strategy. Mid-Late November would be good to check the lower area's for sure. (Each FSR basically)

biggyun68
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the information... When we were scouting in July we found mostly bear sign - both black and grizzly - some that were minutes old which was a bit exciting:
We found plenty of fresh road building and one of the main lines that connects Finn main to Adams main was closed because of this activity: Does anyone know if it is open now?
We also saw a fairly large buck up Finn main and lots of deer sign.
I am planning on taking my Tundra with snow tyres and chains

butcher
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Be aware that Graffunder Lakes are in 3-42 so shooting one there is probably not a good idea.

TIKA 300
09-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Had a November cow calf draw in Vavenby 4 years ago,like said,bring chains if up high !!! B E A U T I F U L country in there !!! :)

dana
09-25-2012, 04:45 PM
A ton of new logging going on in that unit. Both for Canfor and Interfor. Very active road systems. Make sure you have a 2 way radio and call your kms especially if you are on plowed roads in Nov. Quite common to get rain on snow at that time of year making the roads plenty slippery. Chains are a good thing to have with ya. 2 sets better than 1.

biggyun68
09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
The whole lake system is in 42?

butcher
09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Skyline is okay and even the very bottom of Graffunder. But you don't want to push your luck, that area is well patrolled as ther are a lot of guys who don't bother to bring a GPS and check their location.

dana
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
17 km on Road 2 is the height of land and the boundary of 3-41. The access to Graffunder at 18 km is in the adjacent unit. Graffunder itself drains out towards Vavenby so it is in the unit but just barely. :)

dieselhunter
09-26-2012, 08:10 PM
We got a cow/calf draw there also, well be drivn a red dodge diesel and we got chains haha good luck guys

biggyun68
09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info: we use GPS and old school maps too: We figured we would start at the edge of the boundary and work back into the unit: I personally like Skyline better but my buddies like Graffunder: We heard Moose in both areas in July:Spooky hearing something so big coming at you and then they go so quiet.

Would it be advisable to bring some sort of car top boat or canoe?

biggyun68
10-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey Folks:
Have any of you been hunting this area and how did you do. We leave November 8th and will be in a Black Tundra and Light coloured Tacoma.
Any news is good news

beni
10-29-2012, 07:35 PM
We should be up there around the time as well, driving a Steel blue 1 ton Chev and/or Black ranger. I'll be the one with the red beard

My family has been staying out of that area for now. :twisted: Will find out soon for myself if the boss says it's still alright for me to go! (Not the wife... she doesn't have any say in it :D)

biggyun68
11-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Well the trip is over and no moose in the freezer. We had 3 days of great hunting and 1 day fixing a flat tire in the Finn Creek Valley. We saw a cow calf pair who came with in 50-70 metres of us while we were eating lunch on our first day and another huge Cow just of the highway outside of McMurphy coming back from Finn Creek. Locals say the wolves are eating everything but the only wolf we saw had been shot by someone and not many tracks either. On our last day we found where a bull was living but alas could not extend our trip to dial in on him. Lots of lessons learned and we all felt it was very successful for our first moose hunt.