PDA

View Full Version : Going for Elk in Elkford!

Wackman
07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
This is my first season of hunting and I was invited to join
an elk hunt in the kooteneys 4 23. Being 48 years of age, I did
not think that I could get this excited about things anymore,
but I feel like I am 10 years old again and waiting
for christmas :-)
How many more sleeps 'til October???
Anyone care to share a little advice or ideas?
Going for 10 or 12 days early oct and staying at a private cabin.
Usin a sporterized 303 with 3-9x50 bushnell. Thinking of using
150 grain federal ammo.
Thanks for any input!!

07-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Do you fly fish?
If so bring a rod, the elk river is a great river. You might score early and need some entertainment! Or a way to kill an afternoon.
I dont know much about loads for the .303 but it will do just fine if you do your part.

yota
07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I feel your pain I'm counting down the days till the archery opener in September.... tick tock tick tock

Bear Chaser
07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Get a few different cow calls and learn to use them well.
Be patient when calling as some bulls will come in quiet as a church mouse and bust you if you move to soon.

As far as your weapon goes practice dryfiring as often as you can. Try to visualize the correct placement of the crosshairs on the animal of choice when doing this. It might sound hokey but it does work and will help if you get an opportunity to fire on a live critter.

Good luck.

Wackman
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Good idea about the fishing and the cow calls, never used
any calls before. Bear Chaser, can I dry-fire on a spent shell
without doing damage to the firing pin?

Aheny
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Last fall I walked the gas line from Sparwood up to the Fording River Mine, and I have to say, it was some of the most beautiful country I have seen in a while, rivaling Pink Mountain. There was a MASSIVE herd of Elk up there, I would just sit and listen to them calling some days. Definitely a great place to do some fly fishing, like 835 said.

07-31-2012, 12:22 PM
I guess i should add,,,,,
The Elk River is Classifyed water and Fly fishing only....... But i am here to tell ya it is awesome fishing....... I'll be back there for the 4th year in a row this September!

Dutch Ppoacher
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
watch youtube helps a bit. good videos

gwillim
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Make sure you're in good shape before you go! Forty-eight isn't old, but it's not so young either.

Bear Chaser
07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
can I dry-fire on a spent shell
without doing damage to the firing pin?

Shouldn't be a problem with a centerfire rifle.
I have also removed the spent primer from an empty brass and stuffed some plastic wrap into the flash hole to give a little cushion.

Downwind
07-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with a centerfire rifle.
I have also removed the spent primer from an empty brass and stuffed some plastic wrap into the flash hole to give a little cushion.

Or you can just pick up some Snap-Caps.

sawmill
07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Get a mine sight map before you wander around.My mine(Elkview in Sparwood )has almost 30 thousand hectares closed to hunting.Fording is almost as big.Lots of places you can`t hunt legaly.You can get maps of off limit areas from the head office,Google Elkview operations,they will have maps.

blaine
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
try the end of ewen creek rd and hike up into what the locals call the ace of spades, its a tough hike but once in there you will think your in hunting heaven, elk ,sheep, goats and lots of bear

d6dan
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
try the end of ewen creek rd and hike up into what the locals call the ace of spades, its a tough hike but once in there you will think your in hunting heaven, elk ,sheep, goats and lots of bear

I'll toss in Dry Ck.. Big Mulies in there also.

Bigbullsh$tter
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
If you're in for a hike or have access to horses, head up Cordona/Abruzzi (spelling?) Creek drainage.

d6dan
07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
If you're in for a hike or have access to horses, head up Cordona/Abruzzi (spelling?) Creek drainage.
Yeah, but your in for some competition with Anne & Co.

Wackman
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the great tips, going to look into all of 'em!:-)

ufishifish2
07-31-2012, 10:52 PM
I see you are living in Kamelpoops. As others wisely recommended, go to Wholesale Sports and buy the Snap Caps for your caliber of rifle before you practice repetitively dry firing it.

Aheny
08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgEhtFIqkjE&feature=plcp

Here is a herd I was working around up that way last year

brenden
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Try the elkford golf course about october 15th. No Golfers and tons of bulls. Resteraunt near by as well as a hotel. don't worry about those other places thay don't have any resteraunts.

budismyhorse
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I guess i should add,,,,,The Elk River is Classifyed water and Fly fishing only....... But i am here to tell ya it is awesome fishing....... I'll be back there for the 4th year in a row this September!Since when is the Elk Fly Fishing only? Check your regs again.....Early Oct expect lots of rain and wet snow.... The bulls also have done most of the breeding so lots are found on their own then.... Cow calls work best....Most of the other info is pretty much useless .... Figure the areas out for yourself. Lots of room and the elk are found throughout the area. To head into a specific spot like the upper Ewen you'd be going past a ton of good spots that time of year......

budismyhorse
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
And oh ya.... Watch how you throw the term private cabin around.... Remember it's illegal to hunt out of a trapping cabin...... So be careful cause people get jealous and let CO's know about things they see and hear...... I own a trapping cabin so I know all about it. ;) Cheers! Have fun.

d6dan
08-01-2012, 05:07 PM
And oh ya.... Watch how you throw the term private cabin around.... Remember it's illegal to hunt out of a trapping cabin...... So be careful cause people get jealous and let CO's know about things they see and hear...... I own a trapping cabin so I know all about it. ;) Cheers! Have fun.

BS. Its not illegal to use a trapline cabin for hunting if you have permisson from the owner.
UNAUTHORIZED USE OF
CABINS
While in the back country you may have
occasion to encounter cabins of various
sorts. These belong to someone engaged
in a legitimate business such as trapping
or guiding. They are private and are not to
be entered, damaged or disturbed. Hunter
ethics, courtesy and respect are relied upon
so that additions to the regulations imposing
severe sanctions are not necessary.

riflebuilder
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
This is my first season of hunting and I was invited to join
an elk hunt in the kooteneys 4 23. Being 48 years of age, I did
not think that I could get this excited about things anymore,
but I feel like I am 10 years old again and waiting
for christmas :-)
How many more sleeps 'til October???
Anyone care to share a little advice or ideas?
Going for 10 or 12 days early oct and staying at a private cabin.
Usin a sporterized 303 with 3-9x50 bushnell. Thinking of using
150 grain federal ammo.
Thanks for any input!!

For Elk with a 303 I would use 180g bullets not 150's. You will need the extra mass for penetration to the vitals elk are a tough animal. The difference in point of impact within practical 303 range is minimal. Good luck and have fun

budismyhorse
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
BS. Its not illegal to use a trapline cabin for hunting if you have permisson from the owner.
UNAUTHORIZED USE OF
CABINS
While in the back country you may have
occasion to encounter cabins of various
sorts. These belong to someone engaged
in a legitimate business such as trapping
or guiding. They are private and are not to
be entered, damaged or disturbed. Hunter
ethics, courtesy and respect are relied upon
so that additions to the regulations imposing
severe sanctions are not necessary.

Doesn't really say my point is BS here..........

So why do trappers in my family get letters STATING it is illegal and people have been "curious" of the goings on in the said trappers cabins............ HMMMMMM??

Private dwellings (such as a cabin on a lake) are different all together. Just have to watch it isn't a Trapping cabin.

d6dan
08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Remember it's illegal to hunt out of a trapping cabin...... .

So where is this written?.....No where.

I've stayed in a trapline cabin In the elk valley lots of times while I was hunting. I had permission and hunted with the trapper.

08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Since when is the Elk Fly Fishing only? Check your regs again.....Early Oct expect lots of rain and wet snow.... The bulls also have done most of the breeding so lots are found on their own then.... Cow calls work best....Most of the other info is pretty much useless .... Figure the areas out for yourself. Lots of room and the elk are found throughout the area. To head into a specific spot like the upper Ewen you'd be going past a ton of good spots that time of year......

wholly crap! thats funny. Your right.
i guess i ,,,, i dont know. Class II no fly only. HUH.
i stand corrected

Wackman
08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Great information guys, very interesting!
Keep it coming :-)
Thanks y'all

TommyGuitar
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
We as trappers are most certainly not allowed to use our trapping cabins for hunting. However, if we are "maintaining" our cabin and happen to shoot an animal, then it is a different story. :)

j270wsm
08-02-2012, 07:20 PM
For Elk with a 303 I would use 180g bullets not 150's. You will need the extra mass for penetration to the vitals elk are a tough animal. The difference in point of impact within practical 303 range is minimal. Good luck and have fun

BS, I have shot all my elk with a 270win using 130tsx's. Furthest one was 280yds, bullet went 3/4 the length of the bull and out the other side.