PDA

View Full Version : Blacktails in Reach of Lower Mainland

CooperSscat
11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Any thoughts/tips on the Skagit Valley/South Hope area for blacktails. I was up the Chilliwack Valley yesterday and saw a few tracks down low, mainly does but a few bucks. Any road/weather conditions to report would be great as the Chilliwack River system has been hit hard with all the rain we've had lately (roads washed out). I'm hoping to get out tomorrow after this storm blows through. Thanks!

stixnstones
11-15-2006, 11:46 AM
hey neighbor if you want a partner for tomorrow let me know. i know where they are.

CooperSscat
11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey sorry Micheallw my power was out late afternoon yesterday until early this morning, so no computer. hehe

I went out to the Skagit Valley this morning. Road closed. :-( Then I went to Jones Creek FSR. No deer sign, although I bumped into another hunter and he said he saw deer tracks here and there a few weeks back, high up and low down. After my long morning hike I went off to Bridal Falls FSR. Road closed. I then went to my back up spot for the 'afternoon hunt'-Harrison West FSR. I saw limited deer sign as my loner car is 2WD and I could not breach the snow level. I yapped to a fellow day hunter out there and he said he's seen a few bucks up high in years past. That's it for now.

CooperSscat
12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I'll be heading out tomorrow towards Harrison Lake or Chilliwack Lake or Hope area. Which area is best option for late season blacktail hunting? Any snow/road reports? I'm hoping the bucks have moved lower down and are in full rut mode now!

Steeleco
12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Good luck, I would suspect those roads are just about done. I know for sure the Mystery creek road is washed out at the Chealis end. There's no way around it, I tried two weeks ago. Let us know how you make out.

CooperSscat
12-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Steelco, I agree that this may be the last go around town. I did the Harrison-Mystery-Cheahlis loop last month. The new bridge was still under construction then. It's sad to hear it's been washed out. I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow. The 15th is fast approaching.

stixnstones
12-02-2006, 09:15 PM
i would try up chilliwack lake or 20 mile bay area if you can.it is a shity drive in two wheel though.

mr eagle
12-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I hunted the slopes towards Chilliwack Lake today, saw two does and lots of tracks but not until I was a 45 minute walk from the truck. Tough slogging through the snow but good in a way because it forces you to slow down.

CooperSscat
12-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Good work on getting away from the main roads Mr. Eagle! And yes you should always move sloooooooooooooow when hunting any game. Walk a little and look/listen a lot! That's how I was taught. Although it's real tough in the crunchie snow that we have now during these daily thaws.

CooperSscat
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Well I went out for the last go of the season. I only saw 2 animals. They both had quads though. :-( Those two guys didn't see any deer or fresh sign up by Foley lake. I saw nil there and up Thurston mountain FSR. It was still nice to get out and stretch the legs and eyes, but I need better luck next fall!

4pointer
12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I just got a buck up Stave Lake. Should give it a try. Not much deer but you may get lucky though like myself, by accident. I got pics up in my gallery.

stixnstones
12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
why dont you keep somethings to yourself.

Steeleco
12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
WOW!!! Stave you say?? They're in there but are tough to find. Good going!!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/combination.jpg

4pointer
12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
People have told me they are there but I hardly seen deer there. Some people(even on here) have told me they've seen this guy around the area and others like him. I guess it was just my lucky day but he caught me by surprise. As for location, I won't tell you the exact spot but I don't mind "offering" help to those in need or those deserving:) . I want everyone to enjoy our sport. I already have several heads on the wall and I'm actually "out of room", for now.

CooperSscat
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Wow.........Stave Lake is 20 min away from me......hehe Don't you need a Fraser Valley special licence and insurance to hunt in MU 2-8?

Oh I just checked........you have to hunt up the North West and East end of the the lake without the permit! I've also heard that there are tons of 4X4's and boozie kids up there. Hmmmm