PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose 100 Mile House

NickS
07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Hey,
I put in for a few different LEH, and I drew a Bull Moose in Cariboo Zone 5-02 A. I'm kind of excited, but it would be my first Moose hunt, it's for the 1st to the 15th of November. Does anyone know the area, or any good spots they're willing to share? Any other pointers about moose hunting are welcome. Gear? Best ways to recover large game? Etc. :-o

sarg
07-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I took one out of there last oct (1-15 draw), I'll pm when I get he from work tonight :)

bighornbob
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey,
I put in for a few different LEH, and I drew a Bull Moose in Cariboo Zone 5-02 A. I'm kind of excited, but it would be my first Moose hunt, it's for the 1st to the 15th of November. Does anyone know the area, or any good spots they're willing to share? Any other pointers about moose hunting are welcome. Gear? Best ways to recover large game? Etc. :-o

Dont you live in 100 Mile House?

BHB

coach
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey,

Don't have my LEH book in front of me. Where is zone"A" located?

NickS
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I do live in 100 Mile but only since earlier this year and I only started hunting at the end of last year. Zone A is the west side of the highway 97, everything south of Williams lake.

russm86
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I'd be more worried about even being able to hunt region 5 this year at all if the government doesn't sort things out with the bands up there stirring things up....

NickS
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
True enough, I only found out I won this draw yesterday. I called the Cariboo regional district to get more info, I'll be dissapointed if I can't at least try to fill my first draw.

.330 Dakota
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
True enough, I only found out I won this draw yesterday. I called the Cariboo regional district to get more info, I'll be dissapointed if I can't at least try to fill my first draw.

Head up to the Hache, to the far north end, turn west on Wright Station Rd,, go over the tracks and keep going,,,check all roads on the right side on your way out to Snag Lake...moose country there for sure...pm me if you need more help,,glad to take you out one day or 2 in the fall.. we might even be able to drag Remington Jim along with us...Brad

NickS
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Head up to the Hache, to the far north end, turn west on Wright Station Rd,, go over the tracks and keep going,,,check all roads on the right side on your way out to Snag Lake...moose country there for sure...pm me if you need more help,,glad to take you out one day or 2 in the fall.. we might even be able to drag Remington Jim along with us...Brad
That would be great.

coach
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Good advice and a great offer! You can also head out Exeter road and connect through to roads than run behind 105, 108, Lac LaHache and all the way out to Williams Lake. No time like the present to start scouting..

sarg
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
That's the rough area I got mine last year,

shed-hunter1
07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
a group of 3 of us have 3 draws for oct in there there is moose but you have to work for it

NickS
07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
a group of 3 of us have 3 draws for oct in there there is moose but you have to work for it
How do you usually find them? Hike, quad? Do they like the high ground, dense bush?

The Dude
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
We need a new thread soon: Region 5 Moose photos.
I would love that.

coach
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I would love that.

We killed a few when I grew up there - but that was before cameras were invented. :smile:

shed-hunter1
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
How do you usually find them? Hike, quad? Do they like the high ground, dense bush?

cover ground just cover ground

olharley guy
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I would love that.

Howdy- mid-Septmber will post the first picture of the moose the wife gets. LOL Later

The Dude
07-30-2012, 06:27 PM
We killed a few when I grew up there - but that was before cameras were invented. :smile:

Cameras were invented after 1914? Who knew?
LMAO

coach
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM

November draw - the bulls will be recovering from the rut. They'll either be feeding in cuts or bedded on the edge of them. Some will still be with cows. Cover ground and look for tracks. Find a fresh set and you can usually catch up to them. If you can get a decent vantage point, scan the area for bedded bulls.

coach
07-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Cameras were invented after 1914? Who knew?
LMAO

Ha ha! Ok - I guess they'd been invented. But the thought of taking quality pics of our kills never entered our minds. Who knew this intraweb thing would eventually become so popular??

The Dude
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
It was different in the before time.
I remember wanting to set up really nice shots, and the old timers were like "screw that, we gotta go get another one!"
I always said pictures last a lifetime, a deer lasts a year.
Ah, the memories I don't have..........

coach
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I feel your pain, Dude. Sure wish I had pics of those early kills. I don't even have the antlers. It was a different time..

NickS
07-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Lol, I'll be sure to get myself a camera and take some shots of my first kills.

Orangethunder
07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
I hear there are more horses than moose there now. Last year there were wolf tracks from Ainsworth to the breaks above the river. Still some moose around but a bit more scarce than 5 years ago. Usually a few hanging around that sweet ford pickup. Good luck!

CHEAM
07-31-2012, 07:54 AM
I've seen a few at Nielson lake(?). The lake across the road from Gustafson lake. Look in the swamp on the south side of the lake.hope this is in your area I do not have map at work with me.

rides bike to work
08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I dont know the 5-2a area but i got one in 5-1 last year and our tactic was to hunt a 5-8 km radius around our camp on foot we saw 5 cows 2 calfs and 3 bulls in 5 days one died . The road hunters we talked to hadnt seen a thing. I liked the stands of aspen always found beds at the hight of lands .

curt
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Just to get you off on the right foot you better ask your friendly neighborhood indian band for permission to hunt moose in region 5 or anywhere else for that matter!!! :)