PDA

View Full Version : WCVI weekend July 28/29 2012

Johnnybear
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I fished the weekend with some relatives and had a good time visiting and fishing. We fished about 5 miles off of long beach and got easy limits of chickens. Lot's of coho around and we found the ratio was quite low for wild to hatchery so we didn't have to release that many which was nice. Still just smaller springs for us but we did hear of quite a few nice large ones being caught NW of us up around Tofino.

On Sunday my buddy came up for the day and after we dropped off the relatives we hit a couple a new spots we wanted to try in the rock piles near Ukee. We had a blast catching halibut and some nice lings before heading in.

I picked up an AVET JX 4.6:1 last week and got to try it out this weekend. I love it!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Coal_miner/Fishing%202012/IMG_2691.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Coal_miner/Fishing%202012/IMG_2696.jpg

We fished some steep walls and were drifting quite fast so I was reeling in like mad to prevent getting caught up on the wall. My grub and spreader bar just hit the surface as I looked over to see if it was tangled or not. Just then a BIG brown flash grabbed it right on the surface. It must of followed it up all the way up then smashed it. Pretty cool hit on the grub for sure.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Coal_miner/Fishing%202012/IMG_2694.jpg

It was a fun weekend and we are trying out some different things this year that seem to be working out. That's what makes fishing so fun.

Cheers,
John

07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice lingers!

YER GIVIN AWAY A TRADE SECRET THERE!!!! lol
Them white grubs are the bomb for halies as well.... When the OffShore first hit they were sold out steady,,, specifically white

Ruger4
07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
some good eats there !!

fuzzybiscuit
07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Beauty lings there Johnnybear! I actually prefer them to Halibut.

I just picked up a couple new Penn Internationals and can't wait to try them out. Holidays can't come soon enough!

d6dan
07-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Beauty Lings JB. :smile: I haven't seen lings that big since I fished the QCI's..

pnbrock
07-30-2012, 05:47 PM
nice lings fore sure,we got a few nice ones last week aswell.heading back on thurs hoping to smash some beutys.

browningboy
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Should have thrown those back, they are breeding stock and take a loooong time to get to maturity plus they are more likely to be full of worms?
They are nice size though, just my 2 cents.

pnbrock
07-30-2012, 07:05 PM
i agree with browning on one fish.sorry johnny

The Dude
07-30-2012, 07:05 PM
I thought the second one was a cabazon, til I realized it's the reflection off your blue cooler. :D

Sitkaspruce
07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Should have thrown those back, they are breeding stock and take a loooong time to get to maturity plus they are more likely to be full of worms?
They are nice size though, just my 2 cents.

Really??? Wow, who really cares if they are breeding stock. All fish are breeding stock, some get there later than others. If there is such a threat to the stocks, maybe they should have a max size on them. For John to take a couple nice ling for dinner does nothing to the over all stock. And I am sure the commies release all the big fish as well. As for worms, caught my fair share of 25 lbs + lings, never had a wormy one yet.......

Sorry John to Hijack your thread, but crap like this is another reason why us hunters and fishers will never be as one to fight the anti's etc.

Looks like a great weekend out there John, hope you keep posting picts, never mind the comments. We filled up on humpies this weekend to make some salmon sausages/pepperoni.

Cheers

SS

Johnnybear
07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Really??? Wow, who really cares if they are breeding stock. All fish are breeding stock, some get there later than others. If there is such a threat to the stocks, maybe they should have a max size on them. For John to take a couple nice ling for dinner does nothing to the over all stock. And I am sure the commies release all the big fish as well. As for worms, caught my fair share of 25 lbs + lings, never had a wormy one yet.......

Sorry John to Hijack your thread, but crap like this is another reason why us hunters and fishers will never be as one to fight the anti's etc.

Looks like a great weekend out there John, hope you keep posting picts, never mind the comments. We filled up on humpies this weekend to make some salmon sausages/pepperoni.

Cheers

SS

Thanks Ken. You have a good eye as it was 25 lbs on the nose. I am very aware of and acknowledge the suggestion that browningboy pointed out. You didn't hijack the thread either and I appreciate your comments as well (especially about unity). Don't worry I will keep posting. It's only the internet remember lol.

I actually don't keep very many lings at all during a year and I don't think we kept any last year. We decided to start hunting them a little more serious this year trying different things out etc. and it seems to be working.

Have a great time catching those humpies.

Cheers,
John

ncurrie
07-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Looks like a awesome weekend, thanks for sharing!

Tikka270wsm
08-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Very cool! Especially the one that followed the grub to the surface and then hit it.

browningboy
08-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Cheers

SS

Who really cares if they are breeding stock? You obviously don't have a clue, nice fish but what ever?..

Commies? Sound like a non- educated response, I fish and kill lots but you just don't havea clue?..

NaStY
08-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Well browning boy your not very well educated. It isn't the sport fisherman that kill off stocks. They barely make a dent in any population unless its a small lake stocked with hatchery fish.

Johnny, looks like a great day fishing. I'm chopping at the bit to go fish salt water. Never done it and hope to one day try it. Good luck out there and keep the pics and story's coming.

08-02-2012, 08:20 AM
lol,,,, i worked on a boat that targeted them part of the year.... You ever see 12,000 lbs of them on deck? average size was what is in those pictures.Crazy.
fishing is all about self regulation within the regulations. Rule #1 as long as it is legal its ok...

MB_Boy
08-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Who really cares if they are breeding stock? You obviously don't have a clue, nice fish but what ever?..

Commies? Sound like a non- educated response, I fish and kill lots but you just don't havea clue?..

Some people may question that big billfish in your signature line too. Just sayin.............;)