PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu vs sitka

Fullcurled4point
07-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Hey guys.... Im about ready to buy so
e new gear right away but im pretty torn about wich to buy... I like sitka and also like the kuiu....can anybody gimme a little insight on this stuff...done lotsa research but cant decide....lol...also ive only got a 33 inseam and i herd kuiu is pretty long...thanks for ur help

sakofinnlight
07-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Hello there, I have been hunting in sitka gear for 2 years now, I know this gear is pricey but in my mind it is worth every penny and more, I havent had a single stitch come apart or any signs of wear and I put alot of miles on it. The past 2 years ve been wearing 90% and stratus gear. This year I splurged once again and purchased mountain pants and a Jetstream coat. I have ever worn such comfortable clothing in the bush and its also the best camo pattern in my eyes. If you have any questions or want to pick my brain on this product feel free to pm me!

pg83
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Depending on which particular article of clothing you are after one brand might beat the other, but all in all they are both fantastic. Sitka is more expensive, but more readily available. Certain items from Kuiu are hard to get unless you are made aware of it before release. Lots of their stuff is continually on pre-order status and gets sold before it even shows up on the website. You won't go wrong with either choice.

BlacktailStalker
07-30-2012, 12:17 PM
The fit is what sells me on the sitka. Cant speak for Kuiu. Clothes that fit better seem to wear better, I've had a 90% jacket and celcius jacket and they both last about 2-3 years before being very 'worn'
I have a sitka stormfront goretex shell that 'may' have been leaking under the shoulder straps to my pack last trip out, if so not impressed with an article of clothing at that price that saw such limited wear to be failing already.
The traverse shirts are comfy, nice lining on the inside and the ascent pants are great early season pants.
If everything is wore out, I guess thats reasonable for what I have got out of them but surely there is equivalent lasting products at a slightly lesser cost.
Maybe try kuiu if they ever drop that hideous camo pattern.

BiG Boar
07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I have the full kuiu set up. I am not sure if sitka is still gore tex. That was why I went with kuiu at the time. I spend a lot of days in the rain, and I wanted something better than goretex. My old gore was okay, but the new stuff kuiu uses is ten times better. Best thing to do would be call kuiu and ask them what is different about their product. The owner Jason was one of the original sitka guys, and he will be able to fill you in on what upgrades they made to the product.