PDA

View Full Version : freezer full, now what??

browningboy
11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Now that most have their frezzers full, whats your favorite dish / game to cook? There are many and winters coming so I have time to cook with my moose!
My 2 favorites:
1- moose spaghetti ( replace cow for moose, add mushrooms, onions etc)
2- Rotissorie moose roast- add favorite spices, insert garlic cloves inside, and marinade for a few hours to tenderize naturally, then cook over BBQ, use drippings to reflavor and whammo, man I should have made that for dinner tonight!:lol:
With all the success out there, time to enjoy.

Krico
11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Mooseburgers!

Mix burger with crushed "Cheddar Cheeze Ritz Crackers", 1-2 eggs, crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire (spelling?) sauce. To do them justice, you must cook them on the BBQ, even if it's 30 below.

browningboy
11-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes Krico, moose burgers do kick ass, I'm liking your way of making them, will try out tommorow, moose kicks ass!

beeker
11-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh yes........ Moose Burgers mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mr. Dean
11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Tonight its gonna be BBQ style Moose Ribs that were done overnight in the shloooow cooker. :mrgreen:

Just whip up enough of your favorite (home-made) sauce to mostly cover the ribs in the crock.....Crank it up for 8-10 hrs on low......Strap on the ole feed-bag....And ENJOY!!!!!!!!

My ALL TIME fave would be a grilled Deer Burger. I blend mine for this purpose when I do the butchering using Beef fat. Gives em a beautiful shmokey flavor. Just add an egg and a pkg of onion soup mix, then get in and get your hands messy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One caution though, w/ both dishes.......There is NEVER enough, even for them folks that don't eat game.

Noth'n wrong with a nice Deer steak on the grill with nothing fancy to enhance (read; change) it's taste also. :wink:

dime
11-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Try this recipe for moose in a two minute gravy:
Salt and pepper lightly, while heating pan (not non stick) to medium heat. Pan must be fairly hot before you add the chops.
Throw chops in dry - no oil or fat.
Cook to your liking-medium rare in my house, remove from pan.
As you added no fat, there should be a lot of browned bits stuck to the pan. This is the good stuff.
Pour in about a half cup of wine, scrape up browned bits and boil on high heat until only a couple of tablespoons remain.
Pour in about a half cup of cream, boil until gravy starts to thicken up (reduce gravy volume to a few tablespoons), and add salt to taste.
Remove from heat, add a tablespoon of butter or so and stir until smooth.
Pour over chops and potatoes.
mmmmmmmmmmmm

browningboy
11-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Man I shouldn't have started this thread, it makes me hungry each time, one question, how much beef fat do you guys mix in with your moose, I did 10% and seems a little dry (watch it so doesn't burn), I heard 25%, is that too much??8)

Will
11-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I find that if I soak my Tags in water for abit before cooking they are much easier to chew..........:|

Bugsy
11-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I find that if I soak my Tags in water for abit before cooking they are much easier to chew..........:|

Yeah but there are still a little tough to swallow!:mad: :rolleyes: :wink:

Murder
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Tag soup....lol, didn't go for moose this year, and still haven't found the island blacktails I want. I was thinking of taking a doe as well this year, just to see the difference in meat.

NightOwl74
11-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Hungry Bachelor Chops

My slow cooker is bubbling away right now. Heres what I made. Three deer chops 1" thick. Brown Chops in pan with 2 med chopped onions, in oil with your fav. steak spice rubbed into the meat. Use med high heat to sear the meat and caramellize the onions. Meanwhile chop 3 carrots and 3 potatoes. When chops are done layer them on top of raw potataoes and carrots in slow cooker. Add 1 tablespoon peanut butter in center along with 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 quart beef stock. season to taste. If a thicker sauce is desired add less stock. I like to use the Presidents choice steak spice from Superstore. It has good stuff like cumin and dried ginger etc. This meat falls off the bone and cooked this way you get 1 meal and 2 for the lunchbox!. :)

Will
11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah but there are still a little tough to swallow!:mad: :rolleyes: :wink:
I dunno.......salt, pepper, Ketchup, What's not to like ? :lol: