PDA

View Full Version : does any one know the story behind the anderson river elk

rides bike to work
07-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I have hunted up anderson river north of hope a few times and have run into elk sign every time the last time there was a short section of road with over 30 piles of scat no sightings yet.
Just wondering if anyone knows the history behind this herd .
Have they always been there?
Were they transplanted?
Have they moved into this area from a nother range mabey from south reg 8.
I find this kind of info very interesting and trying to read through government papers is like searching for a needle in a hay stack .

ps good area for bears some colour phase havent seen a single deer up there though

Trophyslayer
07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
They come from Lytton there's a bunch up there

Boner
07-29-2012, 07:52 AM
A great big target on that herd now.:sad:

rides bike to work
07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
why would there be any kind of target on this herd now? There is no open season in the area and no limited entry. What exactly are you implying?

On another thread about elk transplanting they mentioned elk being transplanted to boston bar and getting hit on the highway.Would these be the same elk?

If so how many animals were transplanted and from where rosevelt or rocky mountain.

This country is thick and steep even if there ever was a leh there I probably wouldnt apply for it because it would be an extremely tough hunt

Big Lew
07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Although I haven't hunted in that area the last couple of years as thoroughly as I have in the past, I also have seen elk spoor and droppings in the top valley. I have also seen both cow and bull moose....and you're right....it is a pretty rough area to hunt or retrieve game.

ruger#1
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I used to hunt up the end of the Cattermole Main, Would see Elk , Moose crap. And lots of deer and bears.It Could also be a herd from Princeton. There are a few around Sunday Summit, Not a far distance for them to travel.

cliff
07-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Boston bar elk are from the lytton herd. I was there the day they were released and 2 had to be put down right away and a couple ran n down crossed the highway at the air port and swam the tompson river. They are rocky montain elk, I believe captured in Jasper park. There was a open season and there were some great throphy's taken. The season has been closed for years now and there was at one time a leh cow draw. They were shut down at the same time. I believe very few animals are takin by the local natives, probably more killed on the highway. Years ago when the season closed, i went to MOE to ask why the season was closed, the answer was that the natives were doing a number on them. At the same time the rocky mountain elk foundation were gathering info, thru out Nicola valley and surouning area's, (mainly rancher's) and I believe it was 100% no to any transplant's. So I believe the MOE closed the season to allow the elk to spread out, naturally. From what I was told by the MOE,. the elk counts at the time showed about the same number of elk each time. I believe two counts were takin, roughly around the same time, 38. It was some of the coldest weather lytton had seen in decades when these counts were takin. There were a way more elk, than 38, you count that many down by lytton lumber saw mill. anderson creek is not far from nichomin valley(back side of lytton mnt.) which has a good number of elk . Not far for elk to migrate.

yukon john
07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Not saying you cant tell the difference, but there is a lot of moose droppings on some of the anderson spur roads, I have hunted up there 30+ days in the last 5 years and havent seen any elk but I have seen moose. If there are elk up there I would guess they came in from lytton.

Boner
07-29-2012, 08:24 PM
why would there be any kind of target on this herd now? There is no open season in the area and no limited entry. What exactly are you implying?

Nothing against you. Just that not everyone follows the hunting regs.