PDA

View Full Version : castlegar walleye

dave_fras
07-27-2012, 05:18 AM
has anyone been fishing walleye in castlegar this summer?... im thinking about heading there next weekend!....any updates would help!
thanks!

Good2bCanadian
07-27-2012, 06:09 AM
I would wear pink and use the most flamboyant lure you have.

.300WSMImpact!
07-27-2012, 06:37 AM
I have not been there for fishing in a couple years, I found it tough fishing but I did not know where to go either

d6dan
07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
I used to fish the lower end of the Kootenay river, where it joins the Columbia. Used to get there through the old mill site and orchard on the north side of the river. My buddy and I fished after dark using rapalas cast from shore. Deadly back then and if you fish until daylight, 2 days limit.

Brez
07-27-2012, 08:42 PM
First, pink and flamboyant, you're thinking of Nelson. Castlegar - bring some rolling papers. Just busted a 700+ plant operation so it could be slow.....er. The water is still ridiculously high in the Columbia/Kootenay rivers, so it will be a challenge. d6dan has the right spot

Canadian Dad
08-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Options are just below Keensley Dam, off of Rock Island and where the Pend D'Oreille comes into the Columbia. But like stated before, the river is crazy high right now. It is dropping finally.
Let us know how it goes tho.

dave_fras
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
ya i didnt end up goin.... i called the tackle shop out there and he said not to waste my time hahah....... looks like ill be waiting for next year now!.... ive got too muhc hunting shit to do this month haha

Rackem
08-20-2013, 08:27 AM
First, pink and flamboyant, you're thinking of Nelson. Castlegar - bring some rolling papers. Just busted a 700+ plant operation so it could be slow.....er. The water is still ridiculously high in the Columbia/Kootenay rivers, so it will be a challenge. d6dan has the right spot

Yeah the police exaggerate, they count tiny clones as "plants"...

LOL @ CastleGAY, new nickname? Yes more of a gay population in Nelson that C-gar, C-gar is more redneckish.

paw325
08-25-2013, 08:41 AM
the walleye are there, regardless of high water or resident sexual orientation. fish the bite, stay on bottom and lots of bling. high water means turbid water and poor visibility. bright scented worms and soft baits from Berkley with a high vis spinner is a killer. pic is from the afternoon bite on Aug 20th. 2 of us fishing from boathttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/IMG_00000168.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/peter338/media/IMG_00000168.jpg.html).

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2013, 09:11 AM
the walleye are there, regardless of high water or resident sexual orientation. fish the bite, stay on bottom and lots of bling. high water means turbid water and poor visibility. bright scented worms and soft baits from Berkley with a high vis spinner is a killer. pic is from the afternoon bite on Aug 20th. 2 of us fishing from boathttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/IMG_00000168.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/peter338/media/IMG_00000168.jpg.html).

darn I was just there didnt think it was worth the try

Brez
08-27-2013, 09:55 PM
If you are coming for the walleye, gear up for the northern pike as well. They have finally acknowledged the problem are are now trying to control their spread. There are a bunch of tagged fish and there is a $500 bounty on all tagged fish. Gotta bring the heads into the office in Castlegar. I hear that there are some that will reach 20 lbs.

paw325
08-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Damn, I 'm Jealous, we were using scented worms, but no spinners, and what do you mean bye "fish the bite"? - are you referring to solunar tables?

Walleye are sensitive to light and move into deeper, darker water as the sun comes up. The bite is generally at dawn and dusk on their way to and from shallower water where they forage. Fishing all night in shallow bays with little current and lots of prey is also excellent. If you can locate them in their daytime haunts you can drift or jig overtop of them. With the high water and poor visibility right now, the best fishing is dawn and dusk as the fish are active and feeding. Fishing during the day can be pretty frustrating, if you aren't aware of the above. We did manage to catch a few dandies during the day last week but it was slow and patience was a virtue.

.300WSMImpact!
08-29-2013, 03:12 PM
If you are coming for the walleye, gear up for the northern pike as well. They have finally acknowledged the problem are are now trying to control their spread. There are a bunch of tagged fish and there is a $500 bounty on all tagged fish. Gotta bring the heads into the office in Castlegar. I hear that there are some that will reach 20 lbs.

sweet I will be that way for some hunting, after I get my bull (lol) maybe I will fish the rest of the time, nothing like catching a 20lb jack

Brez
08-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Now THAT sounds like the right kind of holiday! Bring a boat and good luck.

Canadian Dad
09-03-2013, 10:45 PM
I love that $500 reward signage all over the place. Being a total pessimist I am pretty sure that they caught and "released" those pike, realized how much it would cost to continue and then posted the "reward" so that we would catch the rest. I would so love to be proven wrong tho!
BTW I caught and lost (at the boat) a real monster pike in the Pend D'Oreille reservoir this summer. I imagine that was a US Box Canyon pike tho.
Nice bunch of walleye, PAW