PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Hunting Techniques

Crimson Viking
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
So more and more we are hearing about the high wolf population causing havoc with game population , especially moose.

It seems to me that most hunters dont actually target wolves (me being one of them), How do we change this??:?::idea::idea:

Please share; What are your productive methods of hunting wolves, other that running into them by chance while hunting other game.

Maybe we can all get some valuable knowledge and take a day off chasing deer or what have you, on your trip, and see if you can bag a wolf or two.:razz:

CV

whitetailsheds
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Call for moose.

RENO
07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6NgARStns :idea::-P

killman
07-26-2012, 07:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/1080_Poison.jpg

gcreek
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Go back to your gut pile in the evening or early next morning and sit quiet at 150 yds+. Calling will work also. ( Not, Here Wolf, Here Wolf!)

If one doesn't kill every wolf seen you are sacrificing 6 to 10 moose from your LEH draw every year.

Drillbit
07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Two Tips;

Even if you despise road hunting, keep your rifle handy in case you see a wolf.

Shoot first, take pictures later.

So sick of hearing, "didn't have my gun ready" and "got some nice pictures of a wolf today"

hunter1959
07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
take you female dog that is inheat and you will see wolfs lol

Good2bCanadian
07-27-2012, 06:08 AM
I shot mine this year as a result of calling and hiking the roads. Saw her at 225yards. Good night .

Philcott
07-27-2012, 07:10 AM
What are you doing for calling? Do you use a fawn bleat? A rabbit in distress?

Wild one
07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Hunters do take wolves by baiting, calling, or luck.

I have said it before if you want to see some help with wolf numbers support getting trappers back out on BC's traplines. Snares and footholds work 24/7 and in the hands of a good trapper they will do more than any hunter can.

thehammer
07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
"take you female dog that is inheat and you will see wolfs lol "

Glad there was a LOL following. I knew an old guys years ago before I was an older guy who used dogs, made me sick when he told me.

steelheadSABO
07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
This year my goal is to get a wolf weather it be trapped or shot I will get one.

.330 Dakota
07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I have heard that howling will bring them in fast,,,as they perceive a rival pack in their territory,,not sure if it works or not,,any input is welcome

Tenacious Billy
07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Call for moose.

Completely agree. I am by no means a seasoned wolf hunter, but last year I had wolves come in when calling moose on numerous occasions. The dog in my avatar appeared shortly after a session of calling on an evening moose hunt in late September....

proguide66
07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
You can call em with your mouth , mimic them.Look up a vid on youtube with tem howling and mimic them .I have called in a lot of them by mouth up north and wacked em. Sometimes they come runnin without making a sound so you want to be on a vantage point.
As well , they ALL seem to have a 'barrier' at the distance you can fool em. I have rarely mouth called em closer than 150 yrds , they ALWAYS shut up or the lead lets out a sharp 'bark' and thats IT , it over.
When you have one answering , start mimicking him , cant find a better teacher.Also , interupt him with your call , show no respect.( I do the same with elk).

If you can find a kill and its fresh , they will be laying near digesting.Go to a good vantage point , 9( obviously with wind favour) and call away , they come runnin.

DONT MISS......if you hit one , get onto the next...if you dont recover a hit wolf , the pack will take care of him for you.:twisted:

Ron.C
07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Hunters do take wolves by baiting, calling, or luck.

I have said it before if you want to see some help with wolf numbers support getting trappers back out on BC's traplines. Snares and footholds work 24/7 and in the hands of a good trapper they will do more than any hunter can.

I thought it was illegal to feed dangerous game "wolf/cougar/bear". Does baiting constitute feeding? I know it is illegal for bear. Anyway is sitting 150m from a gutpile not considered baiting?

Gateholio
07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
You may legally bait wolf, cougar, coyote etc. Just not bear. No, it doesn't break the "feeding dangerous game" laws.

gcreek
07-27-2012, 03:33 PM
You may legally bait wolf, cougar, coyote etc. Just not bear. No, it doesn't break the "feeding dangerous game" laws.

Are you sure about baiting cougar? I was under the impression it was illegal to hunt them over bait also. I've been known to be wrong at times though!

to intentionally feed or attempt to feeddangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolfand bear) except when lawfully engagedin hunting or trapping where baiting isauthorised.

The way this is worded makes one think there may be a legal time for any hunter to trap a bear or hunt one over bait. Is this the same case with cougar? (The 4 legged specie!)

Gateholio
07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
We've discussed this several times.

The only big game animal that we cannot bait for is bears.

Ron.C
07-27-2012, 04:31 PM

cool, thanks for the clarification Gate

Good2bCanadian
07-27-2012, 05:25 PM
When I shot my wolf, we returned 2 days later and the remains had been devoured.
We left the remains 30 paces off the road.
What was odd, was that another wolf had come to the spot on the road and crapped right where she had dropped.
That second wolf had also walked straight down the center of the road vs the she wolf I dropped was walking along the side of the road.

We where using a loud distressed high pitch call for 30-45 min. Nothing was happening so we started to hike up the road and within 5 minutes that's when I saw her.

My avatar shows her wolf track in front of my 30/06 round.

gcreek
07-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Thank you.

BearSniper
07-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Godd work on those shots. I'd love to get one this fall myself. I've even herad Rabbit distress calls also have brought them in.

Crimson Viking
07-27-2012, 08:23 PM
After I started this post I also found this web site http://www.huntwolves.com/wolf-hunting-tips/. Thanks for contributing, I figured it may be lots of calling and such. I am glad to hear real life experiences and techniques from the HBC crew. Keep em coming !!!:razz:

hunterdon
07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
You can call em with your mouth , mimic them.Look up a vid on youtube with tem howling and mimic them .I have called in a lot of them by mouth up north and wacked em. Sometimes they come runnin without making a sound so you want to be on a vantage point.
As well , they ALL seem to have a 'barrier' at the distance you can fool em. I have rarely mouth called em closer than 150 yrds , they ALWAYS shut up or the lead lets out a sharp 'bark' and thats IT , it over.
When you have one answering , start mimicking him , cant find a better teacher.Also , interupt him with your call , show no respect.( I do the same with elk).

If you can find a kill and its fresh , they will be laying near digesting.Go to a good vantage point , 9( obviously with wind favour) and call away , they come runnin.

DONT MISS......if you hit one , get onto the next...if you dont recover a hit wolf , the pack will take care of him for you.:twisted:

Excellent advice PG66. No doubt you speak from experience.