PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Outfitter

Roughneck Country
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I am concidering a Stone Sheep hunt, and am looking for a reputable outfitter. I know the asking price is upwards $35K - $40K. Does anyone know if there is a decent outfitter that does a backpack style hunt (thus lower overhead) that has a more reasonable price? I don't care if I get a booner just a nice representative species.

If there are any outfitters looking at this please feel free to PM me. I know most outfitters are willing to work with you to come up with a reasonable price, just not sure what the market is like for Stone sheep. $40K seems kind of high to me concidering you can hunt a Dall for $10K in Alaska.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

As a side note I am a non BC resident so i can go with an outfitter before someone goes down that path.

bighornbob
07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
The costs of the hunt are based on the availability of the tags and not the overhead. Supply and demand sets the prices. So if you use horses or hike the cost will be the same.

You could try and constact the ministry of environment and find out quotas for the outfitters and see who does not sell all their tags. They may be open to lowering the price a bit, but you wont see it come down too much.

BHB

I am concidering a Stone Sheep hunt, and am looking for a reputable outfitter. I know the asking price is upwards $35K - $40K. Does anyone know if there is a decent outfitter that does a backpack style hunt (thus lower overhead) that has a more reasonable price? I don't care if I get a booner just a nice representative species.

If there are any outfitters looking at this please feel free to PM me. I know most outfitters are willing to work with you to come up with a reasonable price, just not sure what the market is like for Stone sheep. $40K seems kind of high to me concidering you can hunt a Dall for $10K in Alaska.

As a side note I am a non BC resident so i can go with an outfitter before someone goes down that path.

bigwhiteys
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
You might want to also look into an outfitter in the Yukon.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
. $40K seems kind of high to me concidering you can hunt a Dall for $10K in Alaska.

It does seem high but at the same time the dall sheep hunt in Alaska is low. That's because guides in Alaska don't own guiding territories. You might be on a hunt with your guide and have another guide guiding a client in the same drainage hunting the same sheep. Guiding pressure can be much greater in Alaska.

SSS

deeks1989
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Dustin Roe. BackcountryBC and beyond.

big game chaser
07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Dustin Roe. BackcountryBC and beyond.
yup! Dustin roe is a good choice! 250 919- 6240

Hunt'n Guide
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
It does seem high but at the same time the dall sheep hunt in Alaska is low. That's because guides in Alaska don't own guiding territories. You might be on a hunt with your guide and have another guide guiding a client in the same drainage hunting the same sheep. Guiding pressure can be much greater in Alaska.

SSS

That is true. I had a client tell me that on a dall sheep hunt in Alaska he got dropped off on a gravel bar where his guide had camp set up and they didn't move from camp the whole ten day hunt. There were camps up and down the valley from them and on the other side of each mountain. Basically the way he described it they couldn't move without walking into someone else because they were surrounded. Sit and wait and hope the rams get pushed into you was the plan.

I'd look into the Yukon if it were me. Way less crowded than BC.

Roughneck Country
07-27-2012, 07:14 AM
The Yukon right now seems to be approx $10K less from the looking I did last night, but I know there are other costs like travel, charter flights etc... to concider. Thank you to the people who PM'd myself as well.

blackbart
07-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I would consider going with Heidi G. if I were you. She is a real character and might be able to provide you with a few stories. #1 all time ever goat shot by one of her clients last fall. She knows a good horn for sure! I think the sheep in her territory have very dark capes, which make for a nice Stone's Ram mount should you get one.

Te Anau
07-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Try GUIDE OUTFITTER ASOCIATION BC and they have a link on there that you can advertise what you are looking for with the registered bc outfiters.Could be worth a try then I'd be doing some home work(contacting past clients of the outfitters that respond etc) and go from there.Good luck,what a trophy to hunt.

elkdom
07-28-2012, 05:47 PM

anyone with the cash can "go with a BC Licensed Guide Outfitter" non-resident or resident!
Sheep season starts Aug 01, most 2012 sheep hunts were booked and paid deposit a year or more ago,
as for finding a "discounted BC G.O.sheep hunt ? " GOOD LUCK with that ! lol

ryanb
07-28-2012, 10:55 PM
You're probably going to get what you pay for. You can likely find cheaper sheep hunts, but you likely have a much lower chance of success and/or more likely to shoot a dink. Anyone charging significantly less for sheep hunts is usually doing so for a reason, and that reason is likely lack of demand because it is a sub-par area or a sub-par outfitter. If I were paying 30,000 for a sheep hunt, I think I would just spring the extra 5-10,000 to hunt a premium area with a good chance at a big ram, and a reliable outfitter. Big Nine, or Collingwood Bros would be my first choices if I were paying to hunt sheep.

stoneguide
07-29-2012, 07:18 AM
If your looking at getting a discounted hunt in BC you will need to contact a bunch of outfitters and get on their canclation lists. These are far from guarenteed to happen. You will have to be able to come up last minute and is usually the last hunt of the year but I know guys that have gotten smoking deals (as low as $10,000 ) on stone hunts with some of the best outfitters in the buisness this way. Other than that its booking at full price usually at least one year in advance.

porcupine
07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Barry Tompkins http://www.bignine.com/

blueboy
07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Dustin Roe look him up ,you can,t go wrong

2chodi
07-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I have heard that Dustin Roe is a good guide, but the Stone's area he had access to (or maybe had) is not where I would be spending a bunch of $$$ to go hunting Stone's.

358mag
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Discounted Hunts for immediate sale due to unexpected illness of hunter-
1. Dall Sheep in Nahanni with Jim Lancaster (10-11 day hunt- beginning about August 13, 2012)- Paid $27,000- looking for $19,000 (negotiable)
2. Stone Sheep in Kawdy with Bart Lancaster- (10-11 day hunt- beginning about August 24, 2012)- Paid $35,000- looking for $25,000 (negotiable)

Contact Gerry at gkoppes@satx.rr.com for more details