PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing an ATV Thumb Warmer.

bassplayer
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I just bought a new ATV and i have a hand warmer/thumb warmer kit to install. I have installed thumb warmers before but they were the ones with the rubber pad that you glued to your throttle. This one i have now is a metal strip that you adhere to your throttle and cover with a piece of shrink tube. My question is, do i remove the original plastic cover from the throttle and adhere the strip right to the bare metal or do i just attach it as is over the plastic throttle cover? It's a Honda 420. Thanx.

Gary
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/DSC06561.jpg

WKCotts
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Good timing! lol I just installed mine this morning, i left the original rubber on the throttle, stuck the thumb warmer to that then placed the shrink tube over everything. Hit it with a heat gun for a few seconds and boom! all done. Shrink tube actually makes for a nice finish and grip on the throttle.

huntcoop
07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
If memory serves mine also went directly onto the original rubber thumb without removing anything. Those heated grips are the best invention ever, can't believe I waited so long to get them.

bassplayer
07-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanx WKC and HC. Yeah those grips are a life saver HC. I got the Moose ones that are a hand grip/thumb warmer combo kit.

Singleshotneeded
07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I've got the four channel heater on my quad, one channel for throttle, one for grips, one for an electric vest
I bought that plugs in there for really cold mornings, and one is left over...you can get foot warmers or a
heated pad to sit on if you want...

bassplayer
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I've got the four channel heater on my quad, one channel for throttle, one for grips, one for an electric vest
I bought that plugs in there for really cold mornings, and one is left over...you can get foot warmers or a
heated pad to sit on if you want...
There's not much you can't get for a quad nowadays is there SSS? These seem easy to install, only two wires. Then again, we're talking about me here hahaha.

coast 1
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
i put my heat strip over the plastic on my old kawi i found it did not work so well it got realy hot in just one small spot,on my honda i instaled it right to the aluminin with heat shink over that the bare metal next to the heat strip acted as a heat sink and heated the whole throtle i found it work much better

Drillbit
07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I take the rubber cover off first.

Pink Wire on Hondas for RUN 12v power.

Another nice touch is to put the end caps back on on Hondas.