PDA

View Full Version : Costco Gun Safes?

RoscoeP
07-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Anyone own one of these safes? How are they quality wise etc? I am looking for a slightly bigger safe. The one I own is supposed to hold 8 guns but I can only get seven into it, and that is tight. Two rifles have large scopes and one shotgun has shellholders on both sides so these guns are taking up extra room. I was thinking of the Costco 14 gun safe, figuring it would hold maybe a dozen. So I would have room for a couple more.

Any other safes out there that you would recommend? Cheers Roscoe

Singleshotneeded
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Whatever is cheapest, the cheap boxes with a key lock are gun lockers, not safes. I've got two of the Cdn Tire
gun lockers that I picked up on sale...my house keeps punks out, so I don't feel the necessity of a multi-hundred-dollar safe.

MDG3
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
I have one of the Costco safes, and ya if you have scopes on your rifles (who doesn't nowadays) then it won't take the suggested amount of rifles. 😠😠

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
just got one and i like it

Jonas111
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I like mine.

BiG Boar
07-26-2012, 06:56 AM
I had a costco gun safe but I sold it.

ActionJackson017
07-26-2012, 07:27 AM
I bought one about 8 weeks ago.. Happy with it thus far. It bolted to the wall easily, and is quick to customize your passcode, etc. The only thing I am a bit suspect about is when you go to toss the bolts by turning the wheel on the outside of the door, there is some play that I wonder over time will become problematic. Overall, for the price I'm satisfied.

07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Whatever is cheapest, the cheap boxes with a key lock are gun lockers, not safes. I've got two of the Cdn Tire
gun lockers that I picked up on sale...my house keeps punks out, so I don't feel the necessity of a multi-hundred-dollar safe.

Same here........works and is legal.

chromie1
07-26-2012, 07:58 AM
BiG Boar, you can always return things to costco it doesnt matter how many years you had it. you can call in advance to make sure

huntcoop
07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
I like mine, for what it is you CAN'T beat the price.

RoscoeP
07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a costco gun safe for sale. I believe it is called the protector. Make me a fair offer and its yours. I don't think I can return it anymore.

I'am on the Island so it would end up costing to much and be a PITA. Cheers Roscoe

Boner
07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
I just checked my Costco Honeywell safe. It's tight, with my 7 rifles/shotguns in it. Biggest hurdle is the adjustable shelves. If you can get away with just one shelf up high, longer 26" barreled rifles won't be as sprawled across the bottom and taking up extra room. I have 2 shelves out of the 3 set up, and it's not really working that great for me. But that's my fault.

That being said, I'd buy another Costco gun safe in a heartbeat. If the price was right...Just so that I could spread the load, and buy more guns.

*Edit: Mine is the 14 gun safe. But looking again, i'd be lucky to organize 10 rifles in there. Even with just 1 shelf installed.

RoscoeP
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I bought the Costco safe today, overall pretty happy although the extra shelves are pretty useless unless you have really short guns. The top shelf comes with a small lock box and the electronic door was easy to program. Looks pretty solid and about $200 less than anything that looks close. Hopefully I can get all my guns in and have room for a couple more. Take care, Cheers Roscoe.

RoscoeP
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Well I bolted the safe down in a closet and went about putting in the guns, what a pain! The two extra shelves I can't use or I could not put in any guns. The top shelf that has a slot for a small lock box was about 3/4" to low for my longest gun a Benelli shotgun. I turned over the brackets that held the shelf and that just gave me enough clearance to clear the gun, but that made it a tight fit for the lock box, not a really big deal. I had to use a piece of velcro to get the last gun in a Browning T-bolt. I had to put the bottom of it right against the wall so it leaned inward and would fall over, but the velcro holds it well.
It is supposed to hold "up to" 14" guns, and I just barely got 8 long guns in it. Still a pretty decent safe, really heavy, took two of us and a dolly to get it up the stairs. Cheers Roscoe

Good2bCanadian
07-31-2012, 06:58 AM
I like mine. I built a lockable closet in my man cave and keep my safe and all my shooting stuff in.

The Dude
07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
From what I've experienced, a "12 Gun safe" is about as roomy as a "Four Man Tent."
Deduct 30-50% of the optimistic claims, and be happy.

RiverOtter
07-31-2012, 03:58 PM
If'n a guy ain't afraid to stack half his rifles barrel down, you can get more guns in.

Me, I'll just buy another safe, or a bigger one outta the gate........

SingleShot
02-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one;

Considering purchasing a tumbler style gun safe. Can anyone explain how the combination is revealed to person purchasing the safe? How is it kept private until the safe is sold? I'm not buying anything Costco offers as research indicates it is , how shall I say..... less than quality.

The Dawg
02-28-2013, 11:50 PM
It's on the inside of the door panel usually. If its already locked, it will come with it supplied in the instructions

SingleShot
03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
I dont follow you? Suppose it's a floor model or the safe has been removed from its shipping pallet and wrapping, whats to protect the buyer if the public or store staff have access to the combination? I don't mean to sound fussy, however if I'm paying large large dollars for a quality safe I want to be absolutely confident that I'm the only one that knows the combination. As far as I know the tumblers are set at the factory and only a locksmith can reset them.

I've searched and searched and can't find anything on this subject. I wonder if some manufacturers ship them locked and once sold you contact them with the serial number and they provide the combination? That would make sense to me.

Boner
03-01-2013, 04:53 AM
The honeywell costco safes all have the same combination. You change it after you get home. It's digital. Takes AA batteries.

They're not large dollars. In fact I can't find cheaper ones for the quality that they offer.

bighornbob
03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
The honeywell costco safes all have the same combination. You change it after you get home. It's digital. Takes AA batteries.

They're not large dollars. In fact I can't find cheaper ones for the quality that they offer.

X2

I think it comes from the factory with a code of 1-2-3-4-5 or something. When you get it home you read the instructions on how to change it. So you pick out your own combination. Also come with override keys incase the batteries crap out or something.

If you dont trust Costco buy another safe for 4x the price and you still end up with the same type of problems.

BHB

huntcoop
03-01-2013, 09:33 AM
The Costco sold Honeywell safes are the best bang for the buck bar none.

biggyun68
03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
You can order bigger safes from COSTCO:
http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&keyword=Gun+Safe

I have been trying to find a water resistant/proof safe because most damage is caused by water not fire - at least in the city:

ruger#1
03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
You can buy these safes from the USA costco and no problems bringing across the border. They are also a couple hundred dollars cheaper.They are clasified as a saftey safe. As you do not have to use it as a gun safe. My brother in law has bought 4 of them across the line. Take a truck or a trailer. John Deer dealers also sell fire proof safes and are cheaper then other brands. They are heavy and very good quality.

Piperdown
03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
what he said

The Costco sold Honeywell safes are the best bang for the buck bar none.

SingleShot
03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
There is a reason Costco and other big box store safes are "inexpensive".

I have done a lot of research by talking to locksmiths, some of whom have no interest in selling me a safe as they don't carry them and on the internet. You only get what you pay for.

There is a reason the Costco safes have 1 year warranty.
Costo safes are built in a far off land by people that never have to answer when the safes fail to provide the advertised security and reliability.

Imo they are glorified lockers that can be defeated so fast it would make your head spin. Nothing is impenetrable, however a quality built safe will take so long to "crack" that most will cause the thief to flee with what is easy to grab.

How many people have not secured their 300 lb tin can to concrete? Thieves can simply carry them out and open at their leisure. Pre- drilled provisions allow for two attach points to the floor on most of the budget savers. Two attach points is useless.

Look at the fire ratings. Most are also insufficient to protect your valuables. The doors look thick and solid but they are not. You can drive a punch through them like a canned ham.

I appreciate quality and plan to own my safe for the rest of my life and pass it on to my son. I'll pay more now and will reap the rewards for decades.

How many people would knowingly put a low end scope on a fine rifle and expect good results for years to come?

My view is that I only want to purchase once and I don't buy cheap stuff.

Boner
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
We get it, you researched it, and don't like it. You don't have to convince those of us that bought them that you think they are shit.

RoscoeP
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I like mine but you can only get about 8 long guns in it. Also unless they are all really short you won't be able to use all the shelves. However there are threads out there maybe Cdngunnutz showing how people have modified the shelves to get them in. I still like mine dispite it's short falls and the price is right. Cheers Roscoe

SingleShot
03-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Point taken Boner.

Truth be known, I'm only trying to encourage people to look into the details and know that they may not be getting the security they think they are. Liberty Safes, made in USA, have an interesting website with lots of detail regarding construction. It's worth looking at for those that are interested.

huntcoop
03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
I have NO interest in spending many thousand dollars on a fancy 'box' to hold my guns. The only reason I have one to begin with is to keep them out of prying eyes and to make my wife happy re: the kids. If a thief wants them, have at 'er, I'm insured.

As I said above, the Honeywell safes that Costco sell ARE the best bang for your buck. They look good and the door locks.

Gateholio
03-01-2013, 12:34 PM
The best part of a gun safe- even the easy to defeat ones like Costco- is that they meet our silly storage requirements, and keep wives happy. :)

Boner
03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
The best part of a gun safe- even the easy to defeat ones like Costco- is that they meet our silly storage requirements, and keep wives happy. :)

Funny, the whole top shelf and the little lockable box are filled with my wife's crap. Mind you, it's better in there than a 40 pound safe that some ****** can pack away.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Anyone have one of these...or are/were they only available in the States??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtsbXPf81wQ

SSS

ruger#1
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Point taken Boner.

Truth be known, I'm only trying to encourage people to look into the details and know that they may not be getting the security they think they are. Liberty Safes, made in USA, have an interesting website with lots of detail regarding construction. It's worth looking at for those that are interested. You can also buy Liberty safes in OK Falls.

SingleShot
03-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone have one of these...or are/were they only available in the States??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtsbXPf81wQ

SSS

As far as I can determine, Costco brings in a line of safes based on their cost and what is readily available in sizeable quantity. When those sell out they look for their next cost effective and readily available line. The product line is continually changing and what someone bought there 6 months ago may no longer be carried. Costco's online catalogue is not always an accurate reflection of what may be available in any given store. In some cases they don't show gun safes at all. Probably best to visit the store in person or phone. Sometimes its difficult to get a service rep on the phone there that is even familiar with those particular products.

Superdeuce
03-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up on these. Just picked one up. Half the money and just as good as the one I was looking at. Good grunt to pack it in... seems pretty solid to me for sure.
I like it but it's not fitting the 14 guns it was rated for. Doesn't have enough depth to stack on both the back and sides, atleast neatly - I don't like them touching :???:. Luckily, but unfortunately, I only own 5...maybe 6 in the not so distant future... with the money I just saved I think I can justify another rifle?

papaken
03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Bought one from costco and had some problems with the electronic lock, already had it mounted so called the manufacturer. They sent me some new parts to install but still didn't solve the problem.They asked me to send them the handles off the safe and the new and old electronics and told me to do whatever with the rest of the safe. They then shipped me at no charge a new safe that works great. I call that good customer service. Installed heavy duty padlock on old safe now have 2, one for ammo one for guns.

2chodi
03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Sale ends today (http://www.costco.ca/Winchester®-Fire-and-Theft-Resistant-Executive-Safe.product.100025978.html?cm_vc=Home_7&cm_sp=CommerceRecs-_-CAROUSEL_2+home_7+(Activity+2.1)-_-Home_7&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-CAROUSEL_2+home_7+%28Activity+2.1%29-_-Home_7-_-135985). This is a Winchester branded safe but it looks like a Liberty to me.

ruger#1
03-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Here is a John Deere safe http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/home_and_workshop_products/security_safes/security_safes.page

blaker_99
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
my brother and i both have the costco gun safe. I still use mine anchored into a concrete foundation but my brother wasnt so lucky. His was not bolted to the wall or concrete and some punks broke into his house stole his electronics, and also took crow bars to the gun safe. It is amazing how fast they must have gotten into the safe. If you look at what the dead bolts lock into its nothing more than some light duty angle steel. not the best at keeping the thieves out but its definettly better than nothing. If they want the belongings inside they will get it somehow......for the price these safes are average.