PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first bow!!

enron
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys, I have recently been looking into getting a bow, as it will be my first and have no archery experience I was wondering what to look for. I am 6'1 should I look for an adjustable draw? Anything would help thanks.

BiG Boar
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Adjustable bow draw length are nice for a few reasons.

1. When you decide you really love it and are willing to put $1500 into a bow, you will be able to sell your bow easily to many different sized people.

2. As you're just starting out you will be able to make changes to your draw length if you want. Once you have shot it for some time you will know what exact size to order next time (if you go with a fixed draw length bow)

For beginer archers, I would say go lighter draw weight for your first bow, (50-60) it will get you drawing correctly, and its plenty to kill just about anything.

The 3rd factor to consider is brace height. What this is, is the distance from the string, to the handle, when the bow is not drawn. The larger the brace height, the more "forgiving" the bow is. I would recommend a 7 inch brace height to start. You will usually get the best accuracy out of one that is longer like this. Sure a 6 will be faster a bit, but every little mistake you make will be amplified.

I would recommend a PSE axe 7 as a good place to start. Look to buy in the states, cheaper and no boarder issues.

keoke
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I just bought a strother sx1 and love it. Going to get a month of practice and hope to put something on the ground.