PDA

View Full Version : Range time with my Grizz shotgun!

Livewire322
07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFtVZgbBZQ

Well here's my backpacking shotgun! just a quick video of me putting it through the paces.

warnniklz
07-24-2012, 09:45 PM
I gotta stop licking the toads I find on my scouting trips...

pretty sweet rig. when are you putting slugs down the pipe?

BiG Boar
07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
What is a back packing shotgun used for?

Brew
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
"Hey mom stand down range of me and throw these clay pigeons.":shock:

Philcott
07-25-2012, 06:35 AM
You really ought to show that pretty blond how to use the clay launcher.

Looks like it was a fun day in the field. Did you have a couple of jams? It kind of looked that way.

Ruger4
07-25-2012, 06:37 AM

a pigeon thrower might be a tad safer too..................:shock:

Phreddy
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Not trying to piss on your parade or anything, but didn't you get the part in the CORE and PAL program where the first thing you do is ensure no one is standing to the front of you when shooting? Above posts are right on the money.

Laurence_Erickson
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Oh you guys need to lighten up the range is only twenty minutes from the hospital !! lots of time to get there if your working on the golden hour rule .. ;)

Livewire322
07-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I gotta stop licking the toads I find on my scouting trips...

pretty sweet rig. when are you putting slugs down the pipe?
That will probably be one of the last tests I run... I might just get a steel door the is destined for the scrap bin from work and some cinder blocks ! Should be cool :)

What is a back packing shotgun used for?
Well it's nice to have a small firearm when backpacking or what have you. I could just as easily pack a 18-1/2" barreled 870 but I like this one. It's a camp gun really, big bear or cat comes sniffing round my tent I'd rather not screw around throwing rocks at it, so one birdshot in the air then a slug off the port side of the intruding animal if I get charged after that well I've got 3 more shells!

"Hey mom stand down range of me and throw these clay pigeons.":shock:

The camera I was using (drift innovations hd170) has a fish eye lense so it looks that way but she was parallel with me. I edited out the part where she was using the chucker because she damn near broke my foot with the first clay! The ones she was chucking succesfully were so far out you'd need a full choke to hit them.

Looks like it was a fun day in the field. Did you have a couple of jams? It kind of looked that way.

they weren't jams, I'm trying to get myself in the habit of reloading the first shell over the to directly into the open action, and I had a brain fart and tacked it forward then tried to put the shell in... There wasn't a single jam in any of the footage that I got, and between my mom and I we got almost 40 minutes.

Ill be sure to let my mom know that she has a fan base!

Rackmastr
07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh you guys need to lighten up the range is only twenty minutes from the hospital !! lots of time to get there if your working on the golden hour rule .. ;)

Haha....the Golden Hour rule is for Cardiac emergencies.....not for trauma!!! :shock:

anglo-saxon
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I have a 12-inch DA Grizz. It's significantly heavier than my 18.5-inch Maverick 88 and less accurate. But it's a handy little gun for close-up work, nonetheless.

Livewire, I don't buy your "bird shot in the air" plan. You'd be better off getting your mom to bang some pots together! Nor are you going to be putting a "slug off the port side of the intruding animal if [you] get charged" (or the starboard side, for that matter - it's kinda hard to put shot into the side of an animal when it's coming straight at you). If I need to use my firearm, it is going to be used for keeps. Hence 3-inch 000 copper-plated buck (harder hitting and tighter shot pattern due to less deformation from rapid acceleration), alternated with sabot slugs (the buckshot comes out first). I'd be inclined to give the animal some space and maybe make some obnoxious noise to indicate it's not welcome. If it got honory, then all bets are off and it's going down. But I'd rather not kill an animal if I didn't have to, just because it wondered into my camp. I'd rather move my camp first if it came to that. But if I really need to defend myslef, then it's copper plated buck and sabot slugs for me if I'm using a shotgun.

Livewire322
07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Well then that's what I'd do! Who cares! The point of this thread isnt to discuss what one should do in the event of a bear charge, it was to showcase my video...

ruger#1
07-25-2012, 01:02 PM
You should have put in your video the part where you picked up all your shell caseings and put them in the garbage.

Philcott
07-25-2012, 01:02 PM
they weren't jams, I'm trying to get myself in the habit of reloading the first shell over the to directly into the open action, and I had a brain fart and tacked it forward then tried to put the shell in... There wasn't a single jam in any of the footage that I got, and between my mom and I we got almost 40 minutes.

Ill be sure to let my mom know that she has a fan base!

I just wasn't sure if it was a jam or just you getting used to the new shotty. Keep playing with it.

I also now can see the fish eye effect. Glad your Mom wasn't out front and that you were practicing safe shooting practices. Good for you.

She does seem to have a fan base doesn't she? It's nice that your Mom likes to go shooting with you, mine never did.

untilthelastbeat
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Not trying to piss on your parade or anything, but didn't you get the part in the CORE and PAL program where the first thing you do is ensure no one is standing to the front of you when shooting? Above posts are right on the money.

Are you kidding me?? are you slow or were you too busy staring at his mom to see the text in the middle of the screen saying that the lens on the camera makes it apear that she is infront of him when realy she is parrallel...

Nice gun buddy that thing looks sick. i miss my mossberg...

Gateholio
07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Some of you guys need to give your head a shake. He's out having fun shooting with his (good looking) mom, showing her safe gun handling ( They are shooting at safe targets and you can hear him say "Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire") and there is text included in the video about the camera lens and how it makes it look like his mom is in front when she really is to the side. (Although if you watch the video carefully it's pretty clear that she isn't' in the line of fire, even without the text) And I am sure he picked up his trash, although it probably was not interesting enough to film it.

Good video of some fun shooting in the woods.

huntcoop
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
And we wonder why some people never post pix or vids :roll: . N

Livewire322
07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
I did actually take a video of me picking up my shells but it was edited out... Like gate said too boring!
The upload time on this video was well over 8 hours as is so I wouldn't want to think how long I'd have been waiting if I left 5 minutes of shell picking up in it!
They weren't grown away though... I'll load em with buck once then when that's been fired I'll toss em in the trash!

ruger#1
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Good job. I just want to make sure you are one of the good guys. In one weekend in back of Sylvester road I picked up four garbage bags of shells. Some idiots on here blame the locals. I have saved receits from gun shops west and south of Mission. Now you can see why I get so pissed off. If you picked them up I apologize. And thank you for doing so.

Livewire322
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
no thank you for bringing it up I will probably add that as a note to my video description on youtube. I did not take any offence to what you said, dont know why anyone would!

07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Looks good livwire,,,, i saw no problems at all. you did yer best too explain it..... only one thing......shoulda been usein''' 3" 000!
it is a 3" chamber isnt it?

Livewire322
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Yes it is but I wanted to test it out with birdshot first... Will move on to buckshot next time I'm out.

mike_b
07-25-2012, 06:30 PM
And we wonder why some people never post pix or vids :roll: . N

No kidding!! And I agree with Gatehouse's comment as well.....:roll:

07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
When you get the 000 it will "light up yer life" With that mini 12!
hang on and let the good times roll

Philcott
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Some of you guys need to give your head a shake. He's out having fun shooting with his (good looking) mom, showing her safe gun handling ( They are shooting at safe targets and you can hear him say "Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire") and there is text included in the video about the camera lens and how it makes it look like his mom is in front when she really is to the side. (Although if you watch the video carefully it's pretty clear that she isn't' in the line of fire, even without the text) And I am sure he picked up his trash, although it probably was not interesting enough to film it.

Good video of some fun shooting in the woods.

Just as an explanation.

When the video was first put up there was NO text explaining the fish eye lens and that the view was distorted. When viewed without that knowledge it looks like his Mom was standing a little more forward of the firing line than she should have been. Out of concern for his Mom this was mentioned and now with the new info all is well.