PDA

View Full Version : moose draw for 5-15 A

forestwalker
07-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi folks, new to the board. Was wondering if anyone has had a recent moose hunt in 5-15A or knows anything that may aid in the quest for a elusive swamp donkey. I've heard Eureka peak is a good place to start. Live in Williams lake and plan on going out one weekend soon for a reconnaissance of the area. My group has four bull draws for that unit and none of us have hunted that area before. Any help is greatly appreciated. One other question, how are the moose numbers in and around that area. If they are as low as everywhere else is I'll cancel my tag and stick to deer for the season. The low numbers aren't do to us hunters but we all have to do our part for the future.
Good luck on all your upcoming hunts
cheers

articcat
07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Not sure of your particular area but my region 5 hunt is being blocked, how far is that area from chilko?

Gun Dog
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
You should start by reading this thread: No Moose Hunting in Region 5 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?84338-No-moose-hunting-in-Area-5).

Dirty Steve
07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Meagan Meadows, across from Meagan Lake. Not sure if it's A or B. Start at the top annd hike your way down to Meagan Lake through all the swamps.

Trophyslayer
07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi folks, new to the board. Was wondering if anyone has had a recent moose hunt in 5-15A or knows anything that may aid in the quest for a elusive swamp donkey. I've heard Eureka peak is a good place to start. Live in Williams lake and plan on going out one weekend soon for a reconnaissance of the area. My group has four bull draws for that unit and none of us have hunted that area before. Any help is greatly appreciated. One other question, how are the moose numbers in and around that area. If they are as low as everywhere else is I'll cancel my tag and stick to deer for the season. The low numbers aren't do to us hunters but we all have to do our part for the future.
cheers

First post eh? Where the joke?

bighornbob
07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
What dates are your draws for?

Bhb

cheers

bcfirefly
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the site. 5-15 is a big area which used to hold a lot of moose. Almost harvested one daily with the front end of my truck while travelling back and forth to Likely. Last year they have been fewer visible from the road. Wolf, hunting, late season melt? lots of possible factors but if you explore around you'll find them easy enough. I have a draw for 15c cow/calf.
No need to worry about the FN closures as thats out in the clicotin. Happy hunting!

forestwalker
07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Out East of Williams Lake, towards Wells Gray and Horsefly, about about 2 hours

Not sure of your particular area but my region 5 hunt is being blocked, how far is that area from chilko?

forestwalker
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
October 15-31

What dates are your draws for?

Bhb

New hunter Clint
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
October 15-31
I'm going in there on October 1 thru 7th. I'll let you know the results when I get back. Talked to a guy who just got back. He saw 1 moose and it was a shooter. His report stated lots of wolves and Grizz. Caribou are there too for photo opportunities.
I went to the 5-15A last year. I was there for 2 in my hunting party to fill there LEH tags. 2 spike forks with no calling, just spot and stock. That was September 2011. I opted for my LEH to be October so I could catch the rut and do some calling. Last year I saw/heard of no wolves and didn't see a grizz track. The place was loaded with deer and black bear. Good opportunities. Good hunting.

Dirty Steve
09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
The only moose I've seen there in A was up near the top above crooked Lake. Way up high - eureka. Motor vehicle restricted though. Lots of guys drift the Horsefly river, there might even be a few plywood drift boats along the river. I wanted to drift the river and get back into the swamps on the south side of the river. Looks very moosey.