PDA

View Full Version : First Fly-in Hunt approaching....

Vital Shock
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey all,

I can't believe July is almost over. I am now getting excited for my first fly-in hunt!!!

My dad and I are doing a fly-in moose hunt north/west of Fort Nelson. It is not guided, fly-in only.

I am looking for any advise/helpful tips regarding preparation and what to expect....?!:idea:

I look forward to your replies...

Thanks

07-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Expect me to be jelous when you post pictures!!!
i've never done a fly in,,, good luck

MuleyStalker
07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Congrats on your first fly in!! It will be the trip of a life time. Seeing as how I have never done a fly in, I have very little advice to offer. Just make sure you bring enough lube,.... For your gun.....

big game chaser
07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Its totally worth it ! when you going early hunts can be tough for moose as you dont want the meat to spoil ! but flying in you will see alot more game also can be tough as you may see moose you would love to shoot but theres no roads quad trails just back packs so best to stay near lakes ! ive learned that the hard way!

Vital Shock
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Good point. My hunt is planned for end of Sept into Oct.

shallowH2O
07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
take a small inflatible with 4 hp motor in to get around the lake in.

d6dan
07-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Good point. My hunt is planned for end of Sept into Oct.

Watch out for bears as they will be loading up on Carbs for their hibernation. Have a Safe hunt. :-D

Buck
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
take a small inflatible with 4 hp motor in to get around the lake in.

Good advice and bring good food some chairs and tarps to make a nice comfortable camp.

Krico
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Late Sep/early Oct up there could get some real nasty weather. Make sure to bring lots of warm clothes, and I would have nothing less than a sleeping bag rated for -20C along with a good pad. Nice thing about that though the meat will be fine hanging until the plane picks you up.

quadrakid
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Expect to have a great trip. Bring quality gear to stay warm and comfy,lots of good food as well. Be patient,just because you flew in does not mean you will see a critter around every corner.You will have a great trip.

srupp
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
done that lots tons of fun..lots of game..practice calling...persistence..good gear..Spot..inflatable boat is ghreat advice..

steven

Foxton Gundogs
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
A small spinning rod and some lures and tackle fresh fish is always a great change in camp fare. I always carry a ....don't laff:oops:.... pocket fisherman in my saddle bags on pack trips. Had it for years it has provided lots of fun and some mighty tasty fare over the last 30 yrs.

buck nash
07-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I'll be bringing an inflatable kayak. It's easy enough to get around without the extra weight of the motor and fuel.

Also want to make sure you have a fairly advanced first aid kit and the knowledge to use it. Help's a long way off if anythimg goes sideways.

I usually carry a s.p.o.t. device but for this trip I'm considering a sat phone.

If everything goes according to plan I'll have way more weight coming out than going in. There was a thread on this a couple days ago and it got me thinking. I'm gonna be bringing as much food and drink as I'm able to. Plus a big bag of charcoal and any other consumables to make camp more comfy.

olharley guy
07-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Howdy, have also done fly in hunts many times-my advise is to take a LOT of extra food, just in case you get weathered in and the plane can't make the pick up at the arranged time. Been there a few times-only took once to run low on food, sitting around in the fog for 5 days. Good luck on the hunt. Later

afflicted 1
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
take low carb beer, the bears hate that crap

Vital Shock
07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
thanks everyone, great advise! I can't wait....stay tune for pics sometime in October... :)

Philcott
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I've gone in on three fly-in moose hunts and they were all exceptional trips. We brought rolls of poly and built our shelter which was much more comfortable than tenting but tenting is fine too. The wood stove made evenings around camp enjoyable and allowed us to dry out our gear each night. Bring a backup tent just in case something happens to your primary shelter. Shelter is your most valuable survival tool next to thinking smart.

We went about the same time as you and we had all sorts of weather from sunny, clear, t-shirt days to snow on the ground. It's all on foot so a boat is an invaluable tool (the kayak might be a bit small for transporting quarters from one side of the lake to the other) to getting a little farther afield.

Where we went there was also caribou and goats so check and see what game you might run into. Don't want to be short a tag or two.

An extended first aid kit is a must and in this day and age I'd rent a sat phone too. Don't forget your SPOT. If you don't own one, borrow one for the trip.

Hang your game near the lake or a creek in a breezy spot. Not by your camp. Ont of the pack alarms might be nice to have up there in case something wanders into camp in the middle of the night.

Visle
07-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Be sure to observe the no shooting reg until after 6 hours of being on the ground.A few years ago a guide complained to a CO that someone shot a sheep before the 6 hours was up and then flew in the CO who confiscated the sheep but charged no one. All BS.

hunter1947
07-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Hunt hard and shoot straight and have a good time with your dad.

44inchStone
07-28-2012, 07:20 PM
expect BIG ARSE mosquitos and moose travelling as buddies!! Good luck to you. Shootem near the lake and watch for the big brown critters.

Trapper
07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
That time of year could be plus 5 one day and the next day you could wake up to a foot of snow....also don't forget it will cost you extra $$$$ to fly out any game you get. good luck

nature girl
07-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Make a little journal of your trip so years down the road you can read your journal and relive the trip and take lots of pictures.
And take some magazines or a book for the fogged in days.

argyle1
07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
yup that journal will be pretty special in 30-40 years when you fly your grandkids in there to hunt rutting moose---wish I had written more

coglark
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Who are you using,if you don't mind me asking? I'm also considering a fly in (next year)... Have a good time