PDA

View Full Version : I Thought I Was Going To Die..

hunter1947
07-23-2012, 05:02 AM
On Friday evening I was set up in one of my blind around 530pm the wind started to pick up fast I was 10k away from my camp with my quad.
The heavy rain hail moved in with thunder and lightning like I have never saw before.

The winds became so strong I could harley stand into the wind I headed to my quad the trees started coming down snapping off larch trees 20 inches thick ,as I was running to my quad I looked back at about 20 trees that had been snapped off like tooth picks I thought I was going to get it from a tree :shock:.

I got to my quad I was soaking wet right to the bone I jumped onto the quad started it up head back down off the mountain I got about 1k down the road to find 2 trees across the road lucky me I always carry my power saw on the back of my quad I cut them out of the way continued down the old roads to find that I had to do this 4 more times :-(.

I finally got to an old logging road bridge and I got under this bridge stayed there for about one hour till the storm settled down I was a little cold but thank god OK :smile:.

I never saw a storm ever like this one in all my years on this earth I spent 15 years on the hi seas commercial fishing and never had bad winds like what I had encountered.

I never saw lightning or heard thunder as load as I had witnessed that evening ,I got back to camp at 9pm that night soaked to the bones I took my wet clothing off and jumped into my warm sleeping bag and thanked the lord that I lived to see another day :smile:..

I had my camera it got wet and would not work I tried loading it up and would not work after I got back I dried it and took the battery out opened it up and let it sit in my truck over night the next morning tried it and it worked thank god for this because I just bought this movie camera few months ago.

I did not sleep very good that evening thinking about my home and wondering if everything was going to be alright ??? I sent a spot message out to my contacts that evening to tell them that I was ok but they told me when I got home they never got the message from my spot ??? not very happy with that sometimes the spot works other times it does not work I do the same as always can't figure ???.

Next time I go back to this spot to check my trail cam I will film the trees that came down that evening ,I have some more trail cam pictures I will post up on my trail cam thread latter on today.. ..

swampthing
07-23-2012, 05:41 AM
I was out in the woods for a drive with the wife and kids and got caught in a windstorm too. Scared the crap out of me. Trees were coming down. I had my boys lay on the floor of the truck as I made a run for the open country. It was scary. I had no saw and was glad to make it out.

kennyj
07-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Glad you made it out OK Wayne. Good old mother nature. You just never know what she will through at you.
kenny

fearnodeer
07-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Sounds like an experiance and a half, glad you made it out.

5 spike
07-23-2012, 06:26 AM
I was wondering about you when i heard about that storm in your region.Glad your ok.Mother nature can kick you in the ass when you least expect it.

wrenchhead
07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
I got off the lake Right as the wind came up,( it camefrom the west so I had no warning). Putting the boat on the lift beside the dock when the water is being misted off the top of white caps is not easy. On the bright side we got the kayaks out to play.

Quesnel Kid
07-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah it was a doozy I was in hight of the Rockies park at 2400m in a tent. It was the worst alpine storm I have ever been in. The lighting felt like it was in the tent and the wind almost flatend us, glad we saw the storm coming and could get the tent set up properly. Saw some good game sign though a few mule deer and a nice moose. Oh and lots of grizzly bear sign.

Foxton Gundogs
07-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Glad you made it out ok, mother nature can be a tricky bitch at times. I once got caught in a blue norther while checking for strays in late Oct. even the most experienced of us forget sometimes that she can turn on you and try to kill you in a heartbeat. Thanks for posting good memory jog for us all.

Spy
07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Scary stuff glad you made it out in one piece! Freak storm for sure,it did a lot of damage even took the life of a young boy,very sad!
I am sure the pictures will tell the story !

coach
07-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a rather scary adventure, Wayne. Great to hear you made it out alright. Sounds like you made some very important choices that we can all learn from - such as packing a chainsaw and getting to a safe location under the bridge to wait things out. Sounds like you might want to be packing some rain gear an extra clothes on your quad for future trips. Looking forward to your pictures. Thank's for sharing your story. Stay safe - we all love seeing your pics and videos!

Philcott
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear the weather didn't get you Wayne. The wife and I were driving home from Edmonton on Saturday and we drive into the hardest driving rain I have ever been in. Went from 120 kph down to around 60 for close to an hour before coming out the other side. After that it was sunny for an hour or two before clouding over for most of the rest of the trip.

BlacktailStalker
07-23-2012, 10:49 AM
The trail cam gods decided it wasn't your time yet, there are still too many critters that need posting on HBC.

srupp
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Good to hear your OK..sounds bloody terrifying YIKES..common sense and survival kicked in and the bridge hideout was BRILLIANT.

I am indeed disheartened to say the least about your experience with SPOT.

Please contact the toll free # and speak with Technical services to have them go through your unit

If you do not recieve satisfaction, and a "fix" whatever that is..PLEASE contact me via PM , I have the ability to bypass a few levels and take it to someone authorized to solve it.period.

Again genuinly happy you are physically unscathed..

cheers

Steven Rupp

SPOT REP CANADA

and your friend..

d6dan
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
The trail cam gods decided it wasn't your time yet, there are still too many critters that need posting on HBC.

HaHa.... I was thinking that too Andy.. I'm glad the ol' boy is safe to upload another day.........:smile:

dave_fras
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
it sure was crazy on the weekend!... i drove out to spokane on friday and it was nuts!!! a full sized chevy and a 24ft trailer got blown over on the hwy right in front of me!...thank god for under ground parking!!...there was golf ball sized hail coming down for about 5 min!!

anglo-saxon
07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Scary stuff indeed. Glad you're OK. Sounds like you handled it just fine, though!

Jelvis
07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Cranbrook hit hard by a tornado type winds, I hear yah, another I know in Cranbrerrybrook had the roof blown off and water dripping in, like wham bam thank yah man.
Jel .. Hey Wayner .. Glad Momma Nature likes yah .. for some stange reason lol. Glad your ok Wayne .. :shock: .. :razz:

hunter1947
07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks very much for you nice words ,the one thing that scared me was all them big larch snapping off all around me I thought I might get it from one of them trees headed back out to my quad from my set up blind and yes next time I will have the rain gear in the box on the back of my quad ,good advice ,the weather can change in a few minutes anywhere even when you least expect it......

ruger#1
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Well Wayne, I for one am happy you are safe and sound. I love your stories and the pictures of your adventures. With all of those fallen trees. You could build a small cabin.

ruger#1
07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Well Wayne, I for one am happy you are safe and sound. I love your stories and the pictures of your adventures. With all of those fallen trees. You could build a small cabin. Blacktailstalker said you had to leave your underwear under that bridge. Ha Ha

rocksteady
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear you are safe and sound old timer... There was people wondering about you....

I was out of town when it happened but still have seen video and pics of the devastation in town..

ruger#1
07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks very much for you nice words ,the one thing that scared me was all them big larch snapping off all around me I thought I might get it from one of them trees headed back out to my quad from my set up blind and yes next time I will have the rain gear in the box on the back of my quad ,good advice ,the weather can change in a few minutes anywhere even when you least expect it......Throw a couple of candles in there also. They will start a fire when things are wet.

gamehunter6o
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Great to see lots of kind wishes from the guys on HBC and also from me that you are safe and well.
Be careful Wayne.

rides bike to work
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
There was a freak storm lik this a few weeks ago at boss Davis lake off the cold water exit trees came down all over a full campsite totalled 5 vehicles and one person was seriously injured and heli vac out the hail was so loud the people couldn't hear the trees snapping it took nearly 24 hours for emergency crews to clear a path to get everyone out We were up there the weekend after it was still a mess

Good to hear you made it out safe good thing you don't have beetle kill in your area you would have been screwed

scoutlt1
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Reminds me of the wind storm that blew through while I was hunting in the Clinton area in 2006....scary stuff!!

Glad to hear you made it out relatively safe and sound!!!

Moose Guide
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
An 11 year old boy died at a camp in Grand Forks when big pine trees crushed the cabin he was in on friday, the wind took down so many trees(snapped off 30 ft. up) I couldn't recognize the camp! Glad to hear you made it out safe!!!

Jagermeister
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Blacktailstalker said you had to leave your underwear under that bridge. Ha Ha
On the contrary, I think his sphincter is so tight, it will be like he ate a block of cheese at one sitting and it will be a couple of weeks before he can poop. LOL
Anyhow Wayne, glad you made it to another day. At our age, every day counts from here on in.

rides bike to work
07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
heres some pics from my scouting trip this weekend to help calm your nerves a little

wish i could be out scouting where you are but sounds like it was a little safer where i was
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july418.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july437.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july418.jpg
these guys stayed pretty still so i could snap some picks
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july408.jpg
i called in this herd mith my amercan express
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july432.jpg

I find these guys quite theraputic

rides bike to work
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
couple more

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july405.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july406.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july434.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/duaneantifaeff/july436.jpg

hunter1947
07-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for sharing the pictures some very nice looking animals you shot with the camera.

nature girl
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Glad to hear you are okay Wayne.

Phreddy
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Good to see you survived for another day Wayne. Would love to get out to your area one day, as my family pioneered the area southeast of Cranbrook. An old mill town called Wardner. My grandfather was the first millright inthe area around the turn of the century (1800/1900)