PDA

View Full Version : B.C. moose ravaged by salvage logging of beetle-killed pine forests...

lawlu
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's a link to a story about the "missing moose"...

Let the comments fly.

http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/moose+ravaged+salvage+logging+beetle+killed+pine+f orests/6972933/story.html

wlbc
07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Oh brother, I live in the Cariboo. Of the options listed I would choose unregulated hunting as the biggest cause. I personally know four individuals who shoot cow moose year around without restriction.

Everytime one shoots a cow I would think that is like killing six moose because of the offspring to come.

The Dude
07-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Subject of several contentious threads already, but thanks for paying attention.

RENO
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Nice comment he/she is spot on! except we knew about this story before it broke to news, and now it's shifted from blocked access/to region 5 moose, and FN band letter, to fat cat politicians, reforestation and broken promises, by Gov to taxpayers. One of the lead people on this has since retired, that's nice hey!
hang around for 35 years in a job position, when the dung hits the fan you retire, a key person who can explain and was in charge as head forester is no longer there to state the true facts on what happened, and know one is accountable, business as usual, I think I am going to call the news paper my self and give them the real story, I sick of this ...... news stories hitting the paper and the public getting the wrong info,
This is how I read this ad now, the Gov did a poor job, did not do what they promised, the forest companies did not maintain the forest and habitat, why didn't they plant trees, poor animals, the logging has destroyed their habitat , the tree huggers will be on alert! and it will be the FN' crying we have no game and the whites have raped the land and of course we will be the bad guys again shooting all the poor defenseless moose just sitting in the open.
I think it is time to set the record straight and tell it like it is .

Brew
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Oh brother, I live in the Cariboo. Of the options listed I would choose unregulated hunting as the biggest cause. I personally know four individuals who shoot cow moose year around without restriction.

Everytime one shoots a cow I would think that is like killing six moose because of the offspring to come.

RAPP line 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)

The Dude
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
There are three threads on this

black mountain
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

You should make a call why havent you ?

The Dude
07-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Three.........threads..........on this ............subject
Three.......

Count them

bearvalley
07-23-2012, 08:03 AM
FNs have been eating cow,calf and bull moose in the Chilcotin for 80 +/- years.That factor has remained pretty much constant although it is more obvious today because there are more of us RESIDENTS out there witnessing it. Its a combination of several problems/changes that are dropping numbers the same as ideal conditions brought moose in and allowed for expansion of numbers.Remember , ONCE the Caribou/Chilcotin was habituated with elk,deer and caribou.Historically there is NOT even a NATIVE name for the word moose.By the way, elk numbers are on the increase in the Region 5. Ask MOE what thier plans are for them and who's involved in the planning.

Ozone
07-23-2012, 08:14 AM
This thread sucks..........

I will haunt this until it's locked......

Thread die.

That and we need to ban the banned :-P

The Dude
07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Look up the word "Stalker" on Google, Ozone.......take your time.

srupp
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM
hmmm yes natives have been hunting moose for decades..however not with high powered snowmobiles, 4 x4 diesel trucks, 700 cc atvs, 1 million candle power night lights..modern technology...

the allocation of "reasonable " sustanance and ceremonial purposes MUST have numbers put to them and accountability ..trusted numbers IF not, shut it down, in protection of the moose untill we have the numbers to be certain..and yes those investigating and having decision making responsibilities and authority should be made public .

We obviously cant allow unrestricted harvest of game , unnatural and unhealthy harvest of cow moose severly impacting reproduction abilities, AND a sudden spike in the 4 legged predators...ie wolves and bears..It is interesting that I was approached by a first nation individual who wanted me to share a black bear with her for the fat and the paws etc for ceremonial purposes, me because "most natives on her reserve were not into harvesting bears "

add to these pressures the abnormal deforestation of the area... with the easy all year long access issue AND the ability to aid predators spot moose at considerable distances making them much more vulnerable...serious situations demand serious solutions..

cheers

SRUPP

Bowzone_Mikey
07-23-2012, 11:40 AM
You should make a call why havent you ?

Probally because there is nothing to report as its the Natives "rights" to shoot anything they see fit

bearvalley
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
hmmm yes natives have been hunting moose for decades..however not with high powered snowmobiles, 4 x4 diesel trucks, 700 cc atvs, 1 million candle power night lights..modern technology...

the allocation of "reasonable " sustanance and ceremonial purposes MUST have numbers put to them and accountability ..trusted numbers IF not, shut it down, in protection of the moose untill we have the numbers to be certain..and yes those investigating and having decision making responsibilities and authority should be made public .

We obviously cant allow unrestricted harvest of game , unnatural and unhealthy harvest of cow moose severly impacting reproduction abilities, AND a sudden spike in the 4 legged predators...ie wolves and bears..It is interesting that I was approached by a first nation individual who wanted me to share a black bear with her for the fat and the paws etc for ceremonial purposes, me because "most natives on her reserve were not into harvesting bears "

add to these pressures the abnormal deforestation of the area... with the easy all year long access issue AND the ability to aid predators spot moose at considerable distances making them much more vulnerable...serious situations demand serious solutions..

cheers

SRUPP

And don't forget the swarm of RESIDENT ,modern day Daniel Boones with the same high powered rifles,700cc quads,GPS units so they can get back home, 2 way radios so thier buddies can come find them and every other two bit gadget someone could dream up. Gee... but things have changed since grandpa's day of the 30/30 and saddle horse. Same old boys that knew how to drop matches and create moose pasture. They kinda had the predator thing figured out to...with out spending a few years on studies. And I wonder why there is less game ?