PDA

View Full Version : Skeena water levels and fishing update

rafike
07-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Anyone from terrace have an update on Skeena water levels and how is fishing thinking of heading out Wednesday
Pete

warnniklz
07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
skeena is still high. People are snagging sockeye at the top of ferry island. Some bars have re-apeared in the last couple of weeks. I guess it's a pretty bad sign when there's only a dozen or so boats launched at Fisherman's memorial park at this time of year. However I have heard of some springs being caught. I can post pictures of water levels tomorrow.

Kitimat is high as well, some chinook being caught, pinks and dogs are starting to show up pretty heavy.

Kalum
07-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Skeena's the highest I've ever seen it at this time of year and pretty dirty. It is dropping again though and the Kalum is starting to run green. Picked up 2 nookies yesterday just above the hog line. Sockeyfishing is great with a huge run coming in and some biguns. Fisherman's was packed when we went and had to park up on the highway. coming back we had to surf for a little bit while the albertans figured out how to load their boat:) Trailer was sideways on the ramp and he jammed the jet full of sand... weird

islandarcher
07-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Ferry Island was shoulder to shoulder the last few days. Fly fishermen seemed to be doing well. Water is certainly high, but even a bad day on the river is hard to beat.

2stroked
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Just came back. Lots of sockeye at ferry island, Skeena is going down. Never saw any chinook, but some caught by Copper, all dark. Lots of pinks in Kitamat and some chum, never saw a spring caught but saw one jump. Heard there were some caught at the pumphouse, but also 30-40 rods out. Apparently some guy from smithers kicked a old Portuguese guys rod into the water twice and the old guy whacked him along side of the head with a gaff. Split his head open, cops etc. Too many people for me. Pinks were fun on a fly rod.

warnniklz
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Lots of people at the Kalum river boat launch now on the free side, Tempo Gas station side still lots of space... But you gotta pay

warnniklz
07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Sanderson? rest stop just east of terrace

across the river
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318756_10151940890525387_1270147714_n.jpg
Up River
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388998_10151940890255387_603041045_n.jpg

Down River
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/488021_10151940890100387_2086188782_n.jpg

gerrygoat
07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Skeena West in the pics. The sockeye run has been really good been working really hard so don't have much time to go out other than weekends.

2stroked, I like to avoid the big crowds for just such reasons, I saw a drunk guy guy at the Lakelse bridge loose it and smash a guys windshield with his rod then was wandering around holding a big knife in a psyco kind of way, we were all in shock so I missed getting his licence plate for the police.

Kalum
07-25-2012, 07:07 AM
the bar just up river from the bridge is a good flossing spot, not this year though... river's still cranking. Hot weather's bringing down the last of the snow melt so it's not going down that quick. When it cools off it'll drop fast.
Chinook is still slow but starting to pick some up around the hog line. Sockeye still strong and should be for another few weeks. Nice to fish them now before the pinks show up.
Get a boat and stay away from the loonies...

BimmerBob
07-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Kalum, what's the Remo bar like? Lots of wading and bushwacking to get out to it or is it accessable?

Whonnock Boy
07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
A friend just posted photos on FB. They limited out on Sockeye in 2 1/2 hours. Where? I do not know.

Kalum
07-25-2012, 07:56 PM
BimmerBob, by Remo bar you mean the one on the south side of the river across from New Remo? One of the best spots on the river. It's where I usually hang out at this time of year. Never hiked in and looking on GE I'm not sure if you could or not. The backchannels are full right now and I think you'd need scuba gear if you wanted to wade them.

BimmerBob
07-25-2012, 08:28 PM
BimmerBob, by Remo bar you mean the one on the south side of the river across from New Remo? One of the best spots on the river. It's where I usually hang out at this time of year. Never hiked in and looking on GE I'm not sure if you could or not. The backchannels are full right now and I think you'd need scuba gear if you wanted to wade them.

Yes, that is the spot, about 19 miles (maybe kms memory is not there at the moment) out of Terrace toward Prince Rupert. There is/was a place you could drive off the side of the highway and a bush trail out to a long bar, lots of wood debris. We used to wear shorts and running shoes and wade through the back channels if the water was up too high, but sounds like you might be even too high for that.

Great spot for Steelies in the winter too! Had many a day with 10+ to the shore... Used to be lots of jacks when the springs were running. Sure do miss that river and the Kalum bends were a great spot too.

warnniklz
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Don't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd hijack this one.

Water is low obviously. Ooligans have been running for the last couple of weeks (seagulls, eagles and other birds have been working the tidal area). From what I understand the springs are usually not far behind. However seen a couple boats launching on the Kalum on Tuesday and today heard of a spring being caught on the skeena yesterday.