PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Muncho Lake?

Fox
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Has anyone hiked in off the highway at Muncho Lake for Stone Sheep? What was the country like, how much hunting pressure? Trying to plan something out for next year. Don't know where to start really just trying to get some ideas together. Any help greatly appreciated.

mfarrally
07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Do a search on here for different stone sheep threads. All the info you need gets thrown around here a couple times a year. Good luck

BCRiverBoater
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Can almost say 100's do it every year.

big game chaser
07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
ya lots of threads on here! just search around! ive been in off the hiway in a couple spots around toad river ! lots of pressure early season!

stoneguide
07-22-2012, 08:40 PM
From the Lake north off the east side of the highway gets a pile of guys hiking in. The west side you have to cross the trout and if there is much rain this can fluctuate quite rapidly(had it where we couldnt get horses across just from one nights rain). Guys still hike in here but not near the numbers. The outfitter to the west only really hunts one small area but ive heard that area isnt near what it used to be but im sure there are still decent rams around. Biggest issue is crossing the river then getting up the willow choked drainages to the alpine. Used to be a good horse trail up the one creek when I worked in there but now its pretty bleek to find from what I saw last fall.
A few guys go in up mile 458 Prochniak Creek to the west and access some decent country. Seen a few guys up there last fall but not sure what they were hunting. There is a horse trail that goes a little ways in but then swings to the right and heads to Forcier Lake. Used to be good sheep hunting if you continued up Prochniak but heard the hunting in there isnt what it used to be.
South of the lake gets lots of guys early as the access is good going up the outlet portion of the Trout and Lue Creek plus off the highway and then as you get very far south it gets you down towards the north Toad and Moose Lake area and such which gets hit really hard and is the base Camp for Gundahoo River Outfitters.

sizedoes matter
07-22-2012, 09:04 PM
nice to see someone actually give a decent answer to a question asked so often

07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Lots of area in the vicinity that can does and will hold Rams, it's like a race at the beginning, as many either Locals or those living at least closer then us L/M landers and get to watch, plan and execute come opening. Lots of sheep are taken within one day hike of the high way u just have to e lucky too. That said, once they get pushed and the season wears on they move about and get taken. Cool area, beautiful, lots of Rock and as mentioned thick stuff depending on where your hunting. It's all a ton of work, lie any where though, generally further back is better.
Good luck to ya.

CT

squeege
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
You can glass right from the highway and be successful. I know of a few people (including myself) that have done it. Most times if there is a vehicle parked at the bottom of a drainage there is hunters in there so pick one that appears empty and keep your fingers crossed. Ive always wanted to go hunt off the highway for the last week of the season and see what the snows bring in. Dont let all the dreaders dread and have fun and enjoy.

Fox
07-29-2012, 01:28 PM
what does everyone do with there food in the alpine? No trees to pull a cache up into. In particular if you are out from your camp for a day or two.

Jamiko
07-29-2012, 11:51 PM
what does everyone do with there food in the alpine? No trees to pull a cache up into. In particular if you are out from your camp for a day or two.
One occasion in spatsizi i just brought an extra day pack and put all food i didnt take with me and stuffed it under an large overhang rock. Somehow the mice chewed thier way in, so next day i put it in the tent while i was gone. I came back and the tent was destroyed. Now i would seal it in a dry bag and put rocks on it, if a bear decides he wants it, not much you can do. If you have a dry bag and sure it wont leak you can submerse under water, might work.

07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
One occasion in spatsizi i just brought an extra day pack and put all food i didnt take with me and stuffed it under an large overhang rock. Somehow the mice chewed thier way in, so next day i put it in the tent while i was gone. I came back and the tent was destroyed. Now i would seal it in a dry bag and put rocks on it, if a bear decides he wants it, not much you can do. If you have a dry bag and sure it wont leak you can submerse under water, might work.

I bought a UDAP electic food fence this year. However, we use horses to get in, otherwise it would be a bit heavy for a backpack hunt.

Fox
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Anyone find the freeze dried food much of an issue for bears? Cant imagine someone packing a weeks worth of food with them on every stalk. Experiences with bears and food in the Alpine?

bestofthewest
07-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Ive always wanted to go up there and hunt sheep im in the same boat never been befor good to hear all the tips

leadpillproductions
08-06-2012, 04:54 AM
X 2 nice to see somebody give a guy some sheep info. I will be takin a note pad with me this time
And takin notes of all the drainages all the way to Yukon

kgriz
08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Have put in well over 100 days in the alpine with a mixture of freeze-dried food and a bit of pepperoni and cheese....never had a griz problem. Have had some game meat stolen though....obviously bears think the same of freeze-dried as me....always a good idea to take a slingshot for ptarmigan just in case though

Orangethunder
08-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone find the freeze dried food much of an issue for bears? Cant imagine someone packing a weeks worth of food with them on every stalk. Experiences with bears and food in the Alpine?

I've never had an issue with them in camp or getting into food. I usually cache my food 100 yards or so from camp in a spot that you can tell if its been disturbed. Keep camp clean and don't leave stuff laying around and you should be fine.

I usually carry a spare days worth of food with me in case I have to spend a night away from the tent. Its been handy to have in the past.

I've done the same thing with meat. Cache it in a snow patch or along a creek in a conspicuous spot. The only time I had an issue was friggen gulls getting into it along a lake.

Good luck!