PDA

View Full Version : iPhone hunting apps

solo
07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Has anyone found any interesting/useful hunting apps? Just wondering if there are any non-videogame apps you have come across.

The Dawg
07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
BC Hunting Regs
BC Fishing Regs
Real Tree Archery
Qwik Calls

RENO
07-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Primos calls great learning tool
hunt calendar , moon phase, and prime hunting times
Ballistics app by swarovski
AB outdoors
learning calls for geese ducks
Deer tactics, the right calls to use at different times of the rut, great learning tool as well

showtime
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
istrelok
gps sometimes
sun rise and sun set for your exact location

Ry151
07-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Bullet drop+, elk huntin, Tim hortons most importantly in new areas

showtime
07-22-2012, 12:37 AM
oh i better mention that istrelok is a cool ballistic app

yama49
07-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Isnipe ballistic app, is very good

orangestepside
07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
cabelas recon hunting apps kinda cool

reach
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm working on one now that will show the BC MUs on the map and use your current location (or location you pick off the map) to tell you what's open. I'll post about it once it's available in the app store - hopefully before the main hunting season starts in September.

anethema
07-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I second Cabela's Recon. You can select areas and cache forestry topos, imagery, google maps, etc for later offline use, you can mark shoot impact, blood spot locations to aid in tracking, can mark waypoints which include pictures of sign or whatever else you want to keep track of good areas. All kinds of good stuff.

If you want it taking a continuous trail for you, get a battery case for your phone to double its battery life for the all-day hunts. Mophie makes several: http://www.mophie.com/iPhone-4-s/47.htm

Anyways no association I just personally use and enjoy this app.

swampdonkey
07-27-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm working on one now that will show the BC MUs on the map and use your current location (or location you pick off the map) to tell you what's open. I'll post about it once it's available in the app store - hopefully before the main hunting season starts in September.

Sounds like a neat app

kennyj
07-27-2012, 05:33 AM
I hear there is an app that allows you to see where you are going through your phone so you can use it while you are hiking along.LOL
kenny

reach
08-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Getting close to release. Anybody in the PG area with an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch interested in helping beta test? Shoot me a PM and I'll buy you a beer and get you set up.

zogg54
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Good on you for taking the initiative on this. I'll certainly be forking over my hard earned dollars if the app is good. The current BC regs on iphone are pretty bad, considering all one had to do was download the pdf to ibooks. Let me know if you need any help. I am a front end designer and information architect. This is a project that is ripe with potential as well as transferring the experience to the fishing regs.

weatherby_man
08-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Backyard scat and tracks was a good idea but is really incomplete. I wish they would update it with more game animals.

rcar
08-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Wind Meter (0.99) It is actually pretty accurate.

Lionhill
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Motion-x GPS. Allows you to create tracks showing where you've been, take photos at specific places (geotagged) and can download and cache maps to be used offline. If you have a cell connection, you can email or text your position a set number of minutes or hours.
I was thinking of getting the spot connector for iphone, but have resisted.

LH

reach
09-07-2012, 10:40 AM
OK the app is finally released. Here's the App Store link: Hunt Buddy BC (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/hunt-buddy-bc/id556737680?mt=8)

It's universal so it works on iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad.

A few people on here have been trying it out and have found it useful. Let me know what you think :D

longstonec
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Just bought it. Will let you know.

longstonec
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
The GUY ON A BUFFALO app is also a good use of time.

skibum
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Cabela's Recon - I like it

The Dawg
09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
OK the app is finally released. Here's the App Store link: Hunt Buddy BC (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/hunt-buddy-bc/id556737680?mt=8)

It's universal so it works on iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad.

A few people on here have been trying it out and have found it useful. Let me know what you think :D

I was one of the Beta testers for this app, and I can honestly say its VERY good.

Easy to use, and SUPER convenient. The GPS feature is great- it automatically locks on to you and tells you what region you are in, and whats open immediately.

Got a few extra grouse that way this week :)

DEFINITELY a must have .

ct874
09-07-2012, 12:01 PM
just got hunt buddy app looks like it will be handy.cant wait to try it for real. hope it gets updated when needed. not like bc hunting regs app. maybe leh zones could be handy as well. thanks for a great app

huntcoop
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I was one of the Beta testers for this app, and I can honestly say its VERY good.

Easy to use, and SUPER convenient. The GPS feature is great- it automatically locks on to you and tells you what region you are in, and whats open immediately.

Got a few extra grouse that way this week :)

DEFINITELY a must have .

Only if you have cell service, correct? Won't work in the middle of no where, will it?

ravensfoot
09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Just downloaded HuntBuddy BC too, Looking forward to using this tool. Yes it would be nice to have an LEH version.

reach
09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Only if you have cell service, correct? Won't work in the middle of no where, will it?
The GPS works in the middle of nowhere if your device has one. (most iPhones & 3G iPads; not older iPod Touches or wifi-only iPads.) Maps aren't stored for offline use (yet), so unless you were looking at that area before you went offline, you'll only see the MU outlines. But I'm hoping to add topo maps that'll work without being connected to the cell network in an update.

ct874 - download of LEH zones will be available in an update as well. It's high on the "to do" list.

Any other suggestions are always welcome too :)

huntcoop
09-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Reach, if I am in the middle of no where, with my iPhone, and do not have cell service, can I get the map info telling me which MU I am currently standing in etc...?

reach
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Reach, if I am in the middle of no where, with my iPhone, and do not have cell service, can I get the map info telling me which MU I am currently standing in etc...?
Yes. You do see the MU outlines and know what MU you're in, and see all the open seasons, vehicle restrictions, and everything else from the regulations book that's related to your MU. The only thing you wouldn't see is the map data (Google satellite imagery or road maps).

The Dawg
09-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes. You do see the MU outlines and know what MU you're in, and see all the open seasons, vehicle restrictions, and everything else from the regulations book that's related to your MU. The only thing you wouldn't see is the map data (Google satellite imagery or road maps).

Yup, I was WAAAAAYYYYYYY back in the mountains on Wednesday and it worked a treat!

reach
09-07-2012, 10:25 PM
25% Commission....???
He might've had 25% of the pulled pork sandwiches at the BBQ... :D

xfactor
09-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Bought the app...looks great in my limited use so far, look forward to using it in the field.

Btw this is one of those that I talked about with friends...well voila here it is!!!

Well done seems very user friendly

caper321
09-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Is this only for the I don't understand phone? aka I phone. Or can you use it on android aswell?

yama49
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Just bought it, will give it a whirl..

reach
09-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Is this only for the I don't understand phone? aka I phone. Or can you use it on android aswell?
Just iOS for now. I'd like to do an Android version but I don't know if I have the resources to do it properly.

caper321
09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Just iOS for now. I'd like to do an Android version but I don't know if I have the resources to do it properly.

ok thanks .

Whonnock Boy
09-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Is it going to update if there are in season regulation changes?

reach
09-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Is it going to update if there are in season regulation changes?
Yep, I'll try to keep it as up to date as possible. Right now it's up to date as of mid August. I'm working on a minor update to include the last changes they made on Aug 28. They had an incorrect wolf regional bag limit in region 5, and Waterfowler Heritage Days correction in 7B (history already for this year).

I actually was the one who brought the wolf issue to their attention a month or so ago so the app contains the correct season info already - I'll just add the updated page in the PDF regs. (IMHO the wolf bag limits are still clear as mud, but I don't think they're going to fix it until 2014. Most of the places where the seasons table shows NBL don't specify a regional bag limit; therefore you'd expect the provincial bag limit of 3 to apply. But no, in the wolf case, the seasons table is intended to override the provincial bag limit.)

Since it's so minor I was planning to hold off on submitting an update until I hear if anybody has found any bugs that need fixing... please let me know if you all find anything :)

The Dude
09-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Wolf limit is not NBL, and it's not NCS, neither is it GOS or LEH.

Wolf limit is ALL!

:D

yama49
09-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Cool app, well worth the money..

bowhunterbruce
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
i got it last night and gave it a whirl today,great app for sure, it would however be nice if the map was as per google earth but ive got that as well so its no biggy. ill use it often.
thanks reach

yama49
09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
can change map to google if you tap the folded page in bottom right corner..

bowhunterbruce
09-09-2012, 09:33 PM
can change map to google if you tap the folded page in bottom right corner..

sweet, thanks yama

Tarp Man
09-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Bought this and will pass it on to a few people. Great app, very thorough. Too bad the government is so busy with politics to actually do things like this, imagine the revenue? Anyway, great job Reach.

solo
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Great app Reach. Just bought it, and it looks fabulous. Keep up the awesome work.

MRP
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
is the Fish Buddy comming next spring

skibum
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Bought this and will pass it on to a few people. Great app, very thorough. Too bad the government is so busy with politics to actually do things like this, imagine the revenue? Anyway, great job Reach.

WHAT??

Ya too bad the government can not squish the small entrepreneurs of the province??

By the way it is a pretty cool app.

2slow
09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
This is a fantastic app Reach. Hope you have the time to keep it up to date.

sparkes3
09-10-2012, 06:21 PM
just got it sweet app so far

BuckEye
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Bought it and found it works great from the couch..Next day off I will test in in a more taxing and outdoor manner.

farwest
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Good work , got it last night !!

weatherby_man
09-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Nice! Just bought it.

rcar
09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the work you put in Reach!

I'm heading to the Kootenays tomorrow for 10 days and will give it a good workout.

Clint_S
09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Sucks that it only works for iOS 5.
Guess my 3g is obsolete.

solo
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
One thing I always forget to check is the time of sunrise and sunset. Would be a cool update. Am really loving the app.

reach
09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Yes I'm sorry Clint_S - the newest development tools from Apple (which are REQUIRED if I want to support iOS 6 and the new iPhone 5, about to be released) no longer support the old armv6 instruction set used by your 3G. I'm afraid there's not much I can do about that :(

solo, great suggestion about sunrise/sunset. Thanks. I have it on the wish list of features for future updates.

cmarrie
09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
There's a free app to go along with the SPOT Connect. Have to buy the SPOT Connect model first, but when paired with a smartphone allows for alot more messaging options than the traditional SPOT units. More info here: http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=116

G.A.
09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
great timing for the app. was just searching for some of these for past few days. downloading now.

ravensfoot
09-14-2012, 12:07 PM
RE: HuntBuddy App

Any other suggestions are always welcome too :)

Great job on this app. A couple of suggestions:

• Add regional bag limits to the seasons detail page. Would make it easier than trying to locate it scrolling through the standard page view of the regs.
• Add a link to definitions. Ie: 4point Buck - Links to the detailed definition for 4 point Buck. Or, you could add the image and definition within the page that shows the details of the species. (helpful for new hunters)
• Cant seem to locate and go to the bookmarks I have created.
• In Regulations View, add a Zoom out feature to go back to full page view.
• Mark regulation Changes in green like it is in the printed version.

reach
09-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ravensfoot. I have some of those things on my "to do" list for an update already (didn't make the cut for the first release - I figured it was better to get the app out there in time for the season so people can use it). I'll take a look at the rest too.

For zooming out on the PDFs, as it is now you can either two-finger double tap, or pinch.

I agree it's kind of lame that it doesn't save your bookmarks between app launches. If you leave the app running in the background they stick around but if you kill it they are not saved. I will be fixing that for sure, and maybe adding a better way to go to each region in the regs. To get to your bookmarks right now you use the thumbnails view (the four squares icon in the top left corner of the PDF toolbar). When you tap that, in the upper right you can then switch between all thumbnails or just your bookmarked pages. It does seem like it could be improved. I'll see if I can figure out a way to make it better while still keeping it easy to use.

ravensfoot
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Feel free to send me any beta testing you want done. I am in the web design business and have worked on a few iPhone apps. Happy to help.

redneckmedic
09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Great app! Even learned there is a immature moose season where we are going! (missed it somehow)

reach
09-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Just an FYI for those who might be considering the upgrade to iOS 6. The road maps & satellite imagery are completely different in iOS 6 (supplied in-house by Apple instead of from Google) so if that's important to you, you may want to check it out at an Apple store or on somebody else's phone first. Once you upgrade you cannot go back.

The Dawg
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Just used the App in the wayyyy back woods. Worked amazing buddy, was able to get an ID on lakes I had no idea from.

sparkes3
09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
just going through this years regs and i see that the calf moose season in not in the app for reg 7 .

The Dawg
09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
just going through this years regs and i see that the calf moose season in not in the app for reg 7 .

Yes it is? Forward the calendar to the correct opening date and it shows up.

Im looking at it right now.

snareman1234
09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Are the BC hunting regs available for android?

The Dawg
09-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Are the BC hunting regs available for android?

Regs no clue...this app, not yet.

reach
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes it is? Forward the calendar to the correct opening date and it shows up.

Im looking at it right now.
Yes if you're wondering what open seasons are coming up, you can tap and hold the + button and the date will go "fast forward". Keep your eye on the list of open seasons and you can see when it changes.

Andrewh
09-19-2012, 07:37 PM
cool app, told all my buddys about it....

great work.

sparkes3
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
kool thanks guys now i got it .didnt check t that way i just look at the screen for today

BuckEye
09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Had a look at the online ios6 reviews and see that apple has acknowledged that the mapping is a work in progress. Having a iPhone 4 (not 4s) there are many new features that wont work on these phones.
I have just started enjoying hunting buddy, and don't want to mess up my (it's) current mapping setup.
Reach, can you give us an idea of how the app works with the new ios6 system when it comes to mapping in hunting buddy and how the regs show up. Any insight on what to expect or do we read between the lines of your post yesterday.

upcomer
09-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Any word on of this app will work or will be working soon with ios6? Just got that and don't want to download this app if the maps won't work. Any clue on a possible timeline?

reach
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Any word on of this app will work or will be working soon with ios6? Just got that and don't want to download this app if the maps won't work. Any clue on a possible timeline?
The app works fine in iOS 6. It uses the same imagery as the built-in Maps app. So you can check out the road maps and satellite imagery there to see what it looks like in the areas you hunt.

My earlier post was just to give a heads up that the imagery has changed from what you see in iOS 5. In some places it's just as good as it was; in others it's lower resolution and/or black & white. As BuckEye says, Apple is well aware of the many complaints and I expect improving the maps is one of their top priority issues. It's quite usable now; it's just not quite as good as the Google imagery was (in my personal opinion).

upcomer
09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Ok perfect, thanks for the quick reply; I will be downloading your app shortly.

If i may add for anyone else reading, i have found that the new iOS 6 maps are more updated than the google maps. There are several new cut blocks in the area that i hunt that were not shown on google maps, which is now shown on the new apple i0s 6 maps.

pipe-it
09-21-2012, 12:16 AM
try map my tracks by outfront

PointMan
09-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Reach, great app, can't wait to try it in the field!

mikeboehm
09-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Anyone try the app. Hunting buddy bc

it cost $3.99 but i bought it and so far its pretty good

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2012, 09:16 AM
yes mike ... Hunting buddy BC it a good app

Designed and Implemented by our very own RedTechhy "Reach" ...

J_T
09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I recently picked up the app for my iPhone after reading about it on here and I've been using it. Great app. I've recommended it to a number of iphone hunting buddies. Reach, well done.

whitetail2009
09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Just uploaded hunt buddy to my I phone 5 . pretty sweet app. thanx :)

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
as much as I love my Droid ... I am seriously considering going to iphoneys based solely upon Reaches app ......

reach
09-22-2012, 06:24 PM
as much as I love my Droid ... I am seriously considering going to iphoneys based solely upon Reaches app ......
:grin: Glad you guys like it. And it's only going to get better. I have a long list of features on the wish list...

whitetail2009, that's great to hear. I don't have an actual iPhone 5 to test on here (only the simulator) so please let me know if you find any issues. That goes for everyone else with other devices too.

muleychaser
09-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I bought the app last night and love it, showed it to a bunch of guys at work and 4 of them were looking at buying it by lunch time today, Thanks for creating this one reach I can definately see this being usefull!!!!

yama49
09-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Just spent 2 weeks in northern bc with the app.. cached all maps of area before leaving fort nelson. Had maps of the whole area everytime i went in there. The only thing is if you turn your phone off (save battery) it wont find you.. but i just purchased the inreach unit, so when i would go in that app it my signal would b found agian in huntbuddy. Truly an awesome app. worth alot more then 3.99 to me, have google maps in the middle of nowhere, and knowing whats open in tat mgmnt unit at that time is nice

thx Reach

reach
10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks Yama. Yeah I experienced that same bug myself in the Tunkwa area yesterday. I had to go into a different maps app to "wake up" the GPS signal. I'm still on the road right now but I'll find and fix that bug ASAP in a few days when I get home.

skibum
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
.. cached all maps of area before leaving

How do you get the maps into the cache?

I was having a problem of access to the maps this weekend

xfactor
10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Can this be loaded onto an iPad?

reach
10-02-2012, 08:04 PM
How do you get the maps into the cache?

I was having a problem of access to the maps this weekend
The only way I know is to scroll around the area you're planning to hunt before you leave cell / wifi range. Then the maps MAY be cached. Unfortunately there's no control over how much or how long they will stay on the phone - it's up to the OS to decide when to delete them. If you're not doing a lot of other things with the phone then they're more likely to stick around.

Offline storage of topo maps is high on my to do list for an update.

Can this be loaded onto an iPad?
Yes actually it looks a lot better on the iPad. You can see the list + the map or regs at the same time, so I can do things like highlighting all the MUs if an open season detail is being displayed.

reach
10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I see the "other" hunting regs app, "BC Hunting", has now been updated with this year's regs. But if you open region 7 it crashes. Oops... :D

I feel for them though. As a developer that's your worst nightmare, to miss a major crashing bug. No doubt they'll get it fixed ASAP.

huntcoop
10-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Once again, thanx reach!

marcus44
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Great app Reach, thank you!

i am looking for an GPS app that actually enables use of the phones internal gps system and use it when out of cell range. Does anyone know of any?

Clouddog
12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Simply the best BC hunting app around..... bar none!! Knows you location, date and tells you what is in season.

http://www.huntbuddybc.com/

reach
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Great app Reach, thank you!

i am looking for an GPS app that actually enables use of the phones internal gps system and use it when out of cell range. Does anyone know of any?
Thanks guys.

All location enabled apps should be able to use the GPS when away from cell service. It's a bit (okay, a lot) slower to acquire the signal, but it should work to determine the location. Maps are another story - most apps (including Hunt Buddy) download the underlying maps "as needed" over cellular data and don't store them for offline use. (The OS caches some but the app has no control over how much or how long they will stick around.) Things like the MU boundaries and the dot showing your location still work fine when out of cell service, but the map detail may not be there if you zoom in.

My favourite mapping app is MotionX GPS. The interface is a little odd sometimes but it has lots of features. It does tracks and waypoints and for the moment allows you to download Bing satellite image map tiles for offline use. (They're bending the rules from Bing's terms of service so it's unknown if that will always be there, but for now it works.)

A very simple one (and free!) that shows raster topo maps is called "Topographic Maps Canada".

marcus44
12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys.

All location enabled apps should be able to use the GPS when away from cell service. It's a bit (okay, a lot) slower to acquire the signal, but it should work to determine the location. Maps are another story - most apps (including Hunt Buddy) download the underlying maps "as needed" over cellular data and don't store them for offline use. (The OS caches some but the app has no control over how much or how long they will stick around.) Things like the MU boundaries and the dot showing your location still work fine when out of cell service, but the map detail may not be there if you zoom in.

My favourite mapping app is MotionX GPS. The interface is a little odd sometimes but it has lots of features. It does tracks and waypoints and for the moment allows you to download Bing satellite image map tiles for offline use. (They're bending the rules from Bing's terms of service so it's unknown if that will always be there, but for now it works.)

A very simple one (and free!) that shows raster topo maps is called "Topographic Maps Canada".

I do have the "lite" version of MotionX, I'm thinking you mean the full version?

I hope one day the makers and cell companies will come together to allow the full use of a smart phones capabilities(maybe a bit of a conspiracy theory lol) but it seems that way.

I just downloaded the topo maps one, Ty once again.

Lionhill
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM

I just did an update to my motionX and the google maps are now gone, and replaced by the black and white Apple maps. Far less detail. I find the bing maps lack clarity so this is really a step in the wrong direction. I wish that you could download a satellite map the same way you download their topo maps.

I have your app too, it is usually on, but I find the battery plummets when you run more that one GPS app at a time.

LH

reach
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah continuous GPS tracking does do a number on the battery. If you have the phone locked (app in the background) Hunt Buddy shouldn't be using battery though. Apps like MotionX (or Apple's turn by turn navigation) that keep the phone "awake" will definitely use a lot of battery if they're continuously using the GPS.

There were (are) a lot of complaints about the Apple maps in iOS 6. In fact there was quite a fuss raised at Apple... public apologies, corporate shakeups etc. It's quite a fiasco. It will improve over time, I'm sure, but I agree it was a bit of a step backwards for those of us who need good satellite imagery as opposed to glitzy 3D "flyover" views of urban areas. Most of their effort right now is being directed at improving their POI search (which definitely needs improvement) but that doesn't help us either.

The change from Google maps to Apple's was done with the update from iOS 5 to iOS 6... I didn't think MotionX was ever using Google maps on iOS 6, was it?

Lionhill
12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I didn't think MotionX was ever using Google maps on iOS 6, was it?

It still used google maps while in iOS6. After the last, or 2nd to last motionX update the maps changed from google to apple.

When I'm in the bush, I force close all apps except for the GPS and hunt buddy. That buys me a day's use. I normally like to track my route and elevation changes, then download the tracks to google so I can annotate if I saw any game trails, and where I'm hunting the next year. It's an amazing capability when you compare to even 5 years ago toting around a garmin brick that you need 3 pieces of software to even download a waypoint!

Love the software Reach. Anyway you need some testing or testimonials - colour me in.

LH

Foxtail
12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Any word on possible android app Reach?

new trigger
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Not being i savey, can hunt buddy be used on a wi fi only i pad and add a gps like like spot connect (or another you might suggest) and download google maps for offline use.
Don't mean to ask if this info is already posted, but didn't see the info yet on this thread.
all my mapping needs will be done from the truck while driving, to be able to ID my location, locate roads and terrain.
Thanks in advance.

reach
12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Any word on possible android app Reach?
I did buy an Android phone for development but haven't made much progress beyond that yet. So no release date yet - sorry.

Not being i savey, can hunt buddy be used on a wi fi only i pad and add a gps like like spot connect (or another you might suggest) and download google maps for offline use.
Don't mean to ask if this info is already posted, but didn't see the info yet on this thread.
all my mapping needs will be done from the truck while driving, to be able to ID my location, locate roads and terrain.
Thanks in advance.
There are some external GPS units that work with a WiFi only iPad, but honestly it might cost the same to sell your old unit and get one with a GPS built in. Then it would Just Work (TM) without any hassle of plugging in multiple devices. Here are a couple of links I found:

http://bad-elf.com
http://xgps150.dualav.com

Unfortunately Apple crippled the iOS devices by not including support for garden variety (read: cheap) external GPSes so those linked above cost $100+. If you jailbreak your iPad I think you can add Bluetooth support for other GPSes (Holux etc.) but I wouldn't recommend that unless you really enjoy technical problem solving. :)

As for downloading Google maps for offline - I don't know of any products that do that. I know MotionX GPS downloads Bing map tiles (for the moment), and maybe OpenStreetMap too, but Google licensing doesn't allow downloading their satellite images for offline use, I think.

Edit: I did some surfing but can't seem to find a definitive answer to whether the Spot Connect will provide GPS location to *other* apps on your WiFi iPad. It sounds like it might, but I can't seem to find anything for sure. Might want to PM srupp about that, if he's still affiliated with Spot. If it does, then that might be a good option compared to switching to a 3G iPad since you get the ability to send text messages via satellite with the Spot. Still have the issue with offline satellite images though.

pete_k
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Just installed Hunting Buddy for iPhone. NICE!
Thanks for the great app Reach.

Is there a way to get the sat imagery to work out of cel coverage area?

pete_k
12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
If you don't mind using a laptop you can browse google earth with your cacheing turned to maximum (2 gigs last I checked)
It's tedious but it works great and it's easy. You'll have to max zoom all areas you wish to explore.
Then you have to double check you did not overwrite your first images.
I did about 1000 square km's and never used up the 2 gigs.

All you would need at this point is to dump your Sat. GPS coords to your laptop and overlay on your existing GE map. (I say like it's nothing)

reach
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Just installed Hunting Buddy for iPhone. NICE!
Thanks for the great app Reach.

Is there a way to get the sat imagery to work out of cel coverage area?
Thanks Pete.

I used to recommend MotionX GPS since it was cheap and allowed offline download of Bing satellite maps. But it looks like that's been removed in the latest update... it now only shows "MotionX Road", "MotionX Terrain" and "NOAA Marine" as downloadable types. Those come from OpenStreetMaps and are not satellite imagery. I'm not surprised, since caching the Bing imagery offline was against the Bing terms of service.

There's another app out there called "Gaia GPS" (currently $20) that does claim to offer offline download of some kind of satellite images. I guess they have an arrangement with ESRI to resell the data? I don't know. Might be worth some research.

There's no way to do it "legally" without an independent data source as far as I know. To my knowledge nobody offered offline caching of Google imagery. Some apps still do offer caching of Bing imagery but how long that'll last, who knows. It looks like the Cabela's app still has the option to download Bing map tiles offline. If they have an agreement with Microsoft this might continue to work, but I suspect this option might disappear too like it did in MotionX GPS.

Here's a link with some pretty recent info:

http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

knockturnal
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Cabelas Recon lets you cache maps. It's 5 bucks And works great