PDA

View Full Version : Lewmar winches?

Big Bucks
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm wanting to get a windless anchor winch for my 18 foot jet boat and just wanting to get your guys opinions on these winches . Would you go with the lewmar 700 or the pro-fish 1000 ? And is it better to get a horizontal or vertical winch ? The guy who is going to be doing the fab work on my boat mentioned trying to get it with a 1/4 inch chain so I wonder if the pro fish can use a 1/4 inch chain ? I would love to here your guys opinions .

CR CRUISER
07-21-2012, 08:27 AM
The ProFish 700 should be more than adequate for an 18 foot boat. It uses 1/4" BBB or G4 chain and 1/2" rope. There is a special splice required between the rope and chain so you are better off just buying a pre-spliced rope and chain. One of the most important things is ensuring that you have adequate room under the winch in the anchor locker for the rope to pile up. The specs call for minimum 12" of depth but I find that 18" works much better. If there's too little, the rope and chain pile up under the winch and get jammed up.

digger dogger
07-21-2012, 08:35 AM
The chain for a windless is a precision link, they are all the same size so the winch can haul up the chain without resizing your winch teeth. CR cruiser is correct on the splicing from chain to rope..
a 700 should be lots for a 18 foot boat.

Big Bucks
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Now would I go with a horizontal or vertical winch?

digger dogger
07-22-2012, 08:27 AM
If there is a well for the chain to pile into, I'd get a vertical. And lewmar will not rebuild it if it's used as a winch, or if you run your boat with the anchor on the bow, held inplace with tension. Get a anchor mount that you can pin the anchor to the mount while travelling.. No special reason for vertical for me, its just what I have. :-)

Big Bucks
07-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Is there a way to throw all the rope over board with a float when you catch a big spring or sturgeon or do you have to raise the winch every time?

Downtown
07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Vertical only way to go. My Horizontal almost cost me 2 Fingers.

Cheers

Now would I go with a horizontal or vertical winch?

digger dogger
07-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Is there a way to throw all the rope over board with a float when you catch a big spring or sturgeon or do you have to raise the winch every time?

Have a bouy with a quik connect at the end of the rope, open up the winch latch, take out the chain and chuck it all over board.. It also saves your spot till you get back, with a spring or a sturgeon.. Unless there is a sabatour on board.. :-)

Jetboater
07-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Talk to Kieth he has both methods so you can chase fish, also the 1000 is only $50.00 more right now at steveston marine.i would go bigger for the price, the body of the winch is the same size.

Big Bucks
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I talked to Keith and he was saying to try and get the 1000 with 1/4 inch chain, can that be done it says on there web site that the 1000 is a bigger chain ? Jetboater are you still doing the wire ups ? And would you guys get the free fall option ,I would think it would be a lot better to drop anchor fast at those big holes .

Big Bucks
07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Downtown , How did your horizontal almost cost you 2 fingers ? When I look at there web site it looks like the pro fish 1000 is a vertical winch ,or am I not seeing it proper ? The vertical winch is the more bulky winch isn't it?

Jetboater
07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
I still am doing the wiring jobs. The free fall is not good as if you stop it from dropping you will kill the gears. It only takes a minute to drop a 100 feet of rope off the 1000. Let me know if I can help