PDA

View Full Version : Straight or Angeled?

Trophyslayer
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
What do you guys use for your spotter are you straight or angled? Can't make a decision I'm leaning toward strait because that's all I've used and spotting just seems a bit easier and I like to have a big tripod I hate those little 24 inchers

BackPackHunter
07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
straight

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?84183-Need-Help-On-Spotting-Scope

hunter1993ap
07-20-2012, 07:21 PM
ive got another vote for straight.

Rackmastr
07-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Straight....and tried them both.....couldnt stand angled for my purposes.....

d6dan
07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Prefer straight.

BCRiverBoater
07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I like them straight. If doing a lot of mountain hunting I find it easier to use, especially for down hill glassing which you often do when hunting from above.

Also if you use window mounts (which I never have) then straight is also the better choice.

springpin
07-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Straight!!!

hunter1993ap
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I like them straight. If doing a lot of mountain hunting I find it easier to use, especially for down hill glassing which you often do when hunting from above.

Also if you use window mounts (which I never have) then straight is also the better choice.

this is where i prefer straight over angled. i know some guys like the angled better, so its probably close to a 50/50 split angled vs straight.

Brambles
07-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Advantages to both

Angled are wicked for spotting from the truck and backpacking with shorter tripods. Easier on the neck and glassing in sunlight because your face is angled down instead of up and into the sun. Also your face isn't getting rained on but you gotta protect the lense a little more in rain with the angled and be fast with the caps so you don't get rain droplets when you pull your head away.

yama49
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Straight is what i have..

Mulehahn
07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
To me, it depends on what its primary purpose is, and where you are going to use it. If you glass alot of far hill sides while sitting or crouched, angled. Of you use are going to use it once in a while or from the truck straight. I don't hunt sheep, and in the areas I do hunt the bush can get pretty think so I use my binoculars while hunting. The only place I use my spotting scope is at the range so straight is the only way to go. That being said, having been on some hikes to the high country and sight seeing with a buddy, if I was to have to use one for this type of area I would go with Angled. I find them more compact, alot less nexk strain, and once you get used to them just as easy to use.

stoneguide
07-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Angled for sure. Most decent angled scopes rotate in the body so not sure how the are any harder to look through than a straight in the situations mentioned above unless are a fixed body. On adjustable scopes Steep down hill is way better as you rotate the scope angle down and you can actually be out of sight below the scope rather than having to be up behind it. Same as up hill using angled you can keep your tripod lower wich intern keeps your tripod and scope a lot more stable. Same goes on a window mount. Turn the angle to level and it works just like straight you just need to turn slightly.

Biggest thing is 90% of guys are used to straight and have only tried angled and havent gotten the chance to get accustomed to them. I was the same way when I got my first angled scope. I hated it but once I learned how to properly use it then it was way more versatile than the straight.

pescado
07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I like my angled but it is a disadvantage if it is raining.

Blockcaver
07-21-2012, 11:15 AM
What Stoneguide said. Angled is more ergonomic for me once I learned to use it. Definitely seems like I get a full field of view out of the angled Swaro easier than with the straight Swaro while wearing eye glasses.

tikka boom
07-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I prefer the angled.if you have a mount that can rotate the spotter so it is on its side. Then it makes it a lot nicer when spotting from inside a truck because you don't have to be turned in you seet. Can be do e the same for spotting down hill. Then at the same time you get the advantage of the angle when spitting up hill.

Angle

Spitzer
07-22-2012, 05:21 PM
I prefer straight. I find it easier/faster to target where I'm looking at.

vip_ruger
07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I use a straight

deer nut
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Straight all the way. I've tried both and spent many many hours using them. I found the Bausch & Laumb with Rainguard pretty good esp the 20-60X. I'm sure there are better quality optics but $ wise io found these good value.

WKCotts
07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
angled for sure. much less strain on the neck when glassing for long periods. i loved the straight, however i purchased an angled... took me a few days to get used to it and now i love it. wouldnt go back