PDA

View Full Version : ANY RECIPES and METHODS for BANNOCK

07-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Can any one shed some light on how to make bannock ...... or F/N Bread .... what ever they call it??

Thanks in advance

CT

timberhunter
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
2 Cups Flour
2 table spoons of Baking powder
1 tea spoon of salt
3/4 cup of milk.

Mix the dry ingredients then add the milk and mix. I usually add more milk than called for as i like the mixture a bit more runny. I like it to be just a bit stiffer than pancake mix.
Put about 1/4" of oil in the frypan.
There are two tricks when making bannock.
1. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes and let the baking powder work.
2. Do not let the oil in the frypan get to hot. I set my stove for in between 6-7 but all stoves are different. If the oil is too hot the outside will be dark brown and the inside will be raw. This temp allows the batter to cook all the way through. I use a fork to flip the bannock when the bottom is firm enough to not allow the fork to break through. Flip often to avoid burning. Usually cooking time will be around 8-10 minutes.
Another trick to complete cooking is to not have a big ball of batter. Make the batter about 1" thick and about 3" long. This is why I like the mixture a little softer so when it hits the pan it will spread out a bit and not be too thick.
Good bannock takes practice. You will have many failures before success.
Maybe I will make a batch tonight and post a few pics.

Fry bread power. :)

The Dawg
07-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Put all the ingredients for a taco onto a piece of frybread.

Sooooooooooooo good.

warnniklz
07-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Bannock inrendered bear fat is killer!!

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
You can bake it in an oven like a cake, Roast it on a stick over campfire, Drop gobs of it in boiling water for dumplings, add this that and everything to it and make it diferrent. I have never tried making it with milk, just use water,etc.,Beer. Anything works and its still some kind ov banick. Great fried on a griddle on a camp stove while fishing--hunting. Makes jam real tasty. Mickey

moosecaller
07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
a round flat unsweetened cake originating in Scotland, made from oatmeal or barley and baked on a griddle

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups water

Directions

Measure flour, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir to mix. Pour melted butter and water over flour mixture. Stir with fork to make a ball.
Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface, and knead gently about 10 times. Pat into a flat circle 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
Cook in a greased frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minutes for each side. Use two lifters for easy turning. May also be baked on a greased baking sheet at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.

Foxton Gundogs
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
My Lala's Bannock....treditional(?) Northern Cheyenne
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup rolled oats or cornmeal
a tsp. salt
2 tblsp baking powder
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 1/2 cups COLD water

Put in greased iron frypan cover with another greased iron frypan(I have taken to wireing the handles together with haywire)
bake in coals for about 15 min each side or 25 min. compleetly covered. remove bannock and let it cool for anout 15 min if you can lol.

Bear_Down
08-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Split it and put some smoked guda slap it back together while it is still hot. Ranks up there with bannock toco.

Qwa-honn
08-27-2012, 08:58 PM
2cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix together thouroughly with fork.
Now here is the real secret to fluffy bannock.
I use warm water when mixing. Give the baking powder a chance to kick.
I don't usually measure but I believe it is about a cup and a third of water.
Mix until you get a sticky mixture.
cover and let sit for half hour.
tablespoon at a time into a plate of flour. Roll to handle ball streach flat and place in a med. heat pan of oil.
Wella!
Enjoy.
P.S. U can enjoy any recipe but if you mix with warm liquid it will always turn our fluffier.

HunterOgi
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM
I'll have to try a couple of these recipes my self, good thread!

weatherby_man
08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Gotta try some tonight!

Philcott
08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a question. It seems people are interchanging the words bannock and fry bread. Are they not two different things? The fry bread I get from time to time is nothing like the bannock I've eaten for years.

I'm going to have to look into this a bit.

Jagermeister
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I think what we are missing here.
Bannock and baking powder biscuits are essentially the same recipe. You should be cutting the lard/butter into the flour mixture before you add any liquid ingredients. It should be crumbly in texture when dry. How do you cut lard into the flour mixture? You place the lard portion into the flour mixture and then take two knives, one in each hand and cut the lard simutainiously with both knives and as the lard sizes get smaller, they mix into the flour.
You can premake the dry ingredients, put portions into zip lock bags and put them in your pack. When it gets to the time you want to use the mix, you just add the liquid to the bag and knead it (squeeze the bag) to mix. Place it around a stick and toast it over the coals of the fire.
You can cut the dough into squares (2½"X2½"X 1" thick) and bake them in a reflective oven if you have one.
As a kid, I remember our neighbour, Mrs George, doing biscuits in a reflective oven made from one of those 5 gallon square containers that white gas came in. It was always fare that I looked forward to whenever we with them to the woods, be it Venner Meadow, Ashnola or Glen Lake.

brazen
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a question. It seems people are interchanging the words bannock and fry bread. Are they not two different things? The fry bread I get from time to time is nothing like the bannock I've eaten for years.

I am wondering same thing. I was treated to some 'indian tacos' by WFN once, i can't bear to eat at my own campfire ever again as a result! mmmmmMMmm. Maybe it's just they deep fry while i stickroast...dunno