PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Moccassins?

Islandbowhunter
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Does anybody have a recommendation on who could make me a pair of hunting moccassins?

I don't want the Wal-Mart specials, I want a pair of real, durable, moccassins. Perhaps a synthetic-dipped sole for wet-coast use?

I don't expect them to be inexpensive, I know what leather work can cost so I won't be shocked by the price (hopefully).

Locally made, at least BC or Canada?

I have an old pair of mukluks made long ago for me by an elder native woman, but they are really pretty and beaded and more for the memories...I don't want to ruin them outside.

I want the person who asks for a tracing of my foot, not shoe size.

Can anybody help?

Monashee
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Coastal Indians went barefoot in wet weather , moccasins are too slippery

Spy
07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Tough buggers!
Have you ever thought of using neoprene booties! I might give them a go this season!

Slinky Pickle
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Try looking into wetsuit booties. They're pretty touch and some have pretty decent tread on them. I think you'll sweat your toes off though.

1980skywalker
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
We had a native lady from Fort St James make us a few pairs out of the moose hide we shot last year, she asked for the foot tracing and everything. They were the decorative kind but I am sure you could ask her to make a pair for the bush, I can get some contact info for you if you want?

hunter1993ap
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
i would like to buy the leather, does anyone know where to get good quality leather. i would also be interested in buying a pair of mocasins. i almost had a line on some out of chetwynd but never could get a pair.

huntcoop
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
With all the sh!t going down in region 5 I'd stay away from these.......

http://rugrabbit.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640/allan_arthur/48-2010/plains_indians_moccasins_2046lrg.jpg (http://rugrabbit.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/big/allan_arthur/48-2010/plains_indians_moccasins_2046lrg.jpg)

warnniklz
07-20-2012, 05:55 PM
always wanted a knee high pair for early season hunts, when the gorund is hotter than a popcorn fart.

Islandbowhunter
07-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Right you may be...that's why I specified a synthetic-dipped sole for wet weather use.:-D

Thanks!

Big Lew
07-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes, I noticed you specified a synthetic-dipped sole for wet weather use. Leather moccasins can truly be dangerous on uneven terrain or smooth logs etc. but they can also be very dangerous on dry high country range grass if it's on a slope or hillside.

The Dawg
07-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Google Two Bears Buckskin and Taxidermy.

Rod and his wife do amazing work.

Located in PG, but they ship

Islandbowhunter
07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks NoahDawg, I'll check them out.

I've had a couple of cool ideas thrown at me on how to get the silent-sneak-setup going.

Thanks to BigLew for sharing his design!

I never thought about the wetsuit boots...too obvious I presume? I have a pair of surfing booties that would be AWESOME! They have sticky, gummy soles that let your feet feel the ground (surfboard). I think we may have it!

smoothbor
07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I think divers boots are a bad idea if the weather is warm as I dont think neoprene breathes well, so i think your feet would be in rough shape from sweating, you know softening up those hard earned kaluses and peeling skin. But the moccasin idea sounds neat hope all works out for ya but i would stay away from divers neoprene boots for sure.IMHO

Islandbowhunter
07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Good point smoothbor. I think a moccassin with waterproof sole type idea, or a modification of BigLew's idea.

TARCHER
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Try Russell Custom moccassin hunting boots. Expensive but have had mine for 20 years.

Islandbowhunter
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
With all the sh!t going down in region 5 I'd stay away from these.......

http://rugrabbit.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640/allan_arthur/48-2010/plains_indians_moccasins_2046lrg.jpg (http://rugrabbit.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/big/allan_arthur/48-2010/plains_indians_moccasins_2046lrg.jpg)

Thanks for the support & encouragement!

Islandbowhunter
07-21-2012, 04:01 PM
@Tarcher: those look closer to what we might need!

I was going through my closet (to get some more arrows, incidentally), when I saw my steelhead boots...started thinking "felt soles".

Anyways, I'm going to take a closer look at the Russell's.

Thanks everybody!

The Hermit
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Given all the potential issues with traditional moccasins, neoprene I'd just stick with Vans on the hot easy days.

Islandbowhunter
07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Sometimes it's the simple solution, hey?