PDA

View Full Version : My First Cougar Sighting

bigwhiteys
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
So we are heading out to the whitey patch tonight and going down the private road when we spot a nice whitey buck trot across the road in front of us...

I stop, get the glasses ready but he was gone in a flash. We make it up the road not even 100 yards and what we assumed was another deer came out behind it.

We could just see the black head and bit of neck.

I throw my glasses up and was surprised to see a big cougar looking back at me! I tried to get him on video but he was gone fast.

He was tailing that buck. Pretty cool to say the least! Cougars are few and far between up here.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Steeleco
11-13-2006, 09:20 PM
It sure is a different feeling when you happen across them like that!!!
did you see it on the Island? The "whitey" part threw me off a bit!!!

bsa30-06
11-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I've never seen one in the wild like that before your right that would be pretty cool to see.

bigwhiteys
11-13-2006, 09:35 PM
No this wasn't on the Island... This was on farmland in region 7!!! There are cougars up here but they are few and far between.

I'd have to say it was one of the coolest moments of this hunt so far!!! I just wish I caught him on video.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

quadrakid
11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
18years on the coast and i still have not got to see a big cat, consider yourself lucky, good luck with the whitetails.

Ozone
11-13-2006, 10:09 PM
18years on the coast and i still have not got to see a big cat, consider yourself lucky

Try Sonora Island. Ive seen to many to close there. I hit one with a stick that I had thrown for the dog, just a lucky toss.

browningboy
11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Thats a cool sight, remember the first one I seen, wasn't hunting, was at a party by Missueula Lake in Princeton and all vehicles were parked in a farmers field, and then my jeep was parked the farthest and close to the bush, when it was ending, my friends and I were taking off to go back to our cabin, so we hung the gear to releave ourselves, jumped in the jeep and turned on the lights, there's one sitting on a tree limb staring at us, holy crap! It seemed like it was looking through us, weirdest experience thus far!:|

30-06
11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
hhaha scary things aint they one of my good friends mom got killed by one well tryin to defend him

browningboy
11-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey 30-06, is that the woman that was trying to defend her kids approx 3 years ago? and yes its pretty scary, they "look" right through you, hard to explain unless its happened to you.

30-06
11-14-2006, 10:39 PM
no his was a long time ago he was still very young like 5-6 i belive..i never wanna come in contact with one thats for sure

browningboy
11-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes, I can live without them, are you living by the skidoo shop / Berg cabin? Just see you live in Tulameen, thought I'd ask as we did alot of sledding there.

30-06
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
i live prob 4km past the ski-doo shop.right on the lake..about 1 1/2 km up the lake road.

Krico
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
I've never seen one in the wild, but had one scare me pretty good. Was sitting at the edge of a cut block watching for deer, when I heard that "scream" they do. Sounded like it was right behind me, so I stood up waving my arms and got the hell out of dodge. I never did see him, although my grandfather who was hunting with us at the time had seen it the day before. This was back in my early teens and the thought of it still makes my hair stand on end.

30-06
11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
ya i hate that sound they make.

Tinney
11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
ya i hate that sound they make.

I love that sound. First time I heard it I was 6 years old and I still love it. Just like a wolf howl, nothing quite so wild. First cougar I ever saw was on a logging road out behind Hixon south of prince george. All I got was a glimpse as he headed for the bush, but definitely a cougar. Love them cats.....don't think I could ever shoot one though......unless it was knawing my leg off er somethin :lol:

The Hermit
11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I had a glimpse of a plimpse of one years ago in the Greater Victoria Watershed before light on the drive in to the lake. COOL!!! I'd love to see/watch one while it was unaware of me! :-)