PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever take a goat with a bow?

Trophyslayer
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I have been thinking about the idea of trying to go after a goat with a bow maybe not this year but sooner than later. I want to hear some stories if there is any. my main concern would be it not being a quick enough kill in such steep country I've herd of to many times people loosening goats even with a rifle. I have a leh this year and I know the area pretty good and there's lots of goats but to bring the bow or not is the question
I've been into bow hunting for 10 years so I know how to shoot
anybody every do it or try?

bruin
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I shot 1 with a now so I'm no expert! I would think it definitely increases the risk. But I think of you come prepared with ropes etc your odds are much better on retrieval.

Brez
07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
I shot one and got close (30yds or less) to 8 - 10 other billies, tying to better the first one.
They are less difficult to get close to than people think. Another occasion I had to finish of one that my partner had stunned with a rifle from a long distance. Those two and the other three bow-kills that I've been in on died real fast. I'd say as quick if not quicker than the one I shot twice in the 12 zone with a 30-06. The difficulty is getting a clear shot and not being spotted by other goats.
As for retrieval, if you can get that close to a billy, you should be able to get to where it falls, no problem.
Good luck, you will find it a lot of fun.

roymil
07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a PSE Jet Flight story to me................

Brez
07-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a PSE Jet Flight story to me................
Do I know you??

Ron.C
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
I think goat with a bow is doablle and would be one hell of a trophy to be proud of.
Thats why I tried my first goat hunt with a bow. Like Brez said above, not as hard to get close to as I would of thought. I practiced for months before that hunt, shooting at 60 and 70 yards so I could confidently put every single arrow inside a 4 inch circle out to 50 yards. My shooting wasn't the problem though. The spot I chose to hunt was a problem as game recovery would have been impossible. Shooting one I could get my hands on without the aid of a helicopter or where it wouldn't drop 1000 feet was the only situation that presented itself. But on that hunt, a rifle wouldn't of helped me too much.

Having said all that, the areas I will hunt goat this year are back into road closures where I have to work a little harder to get back into, but have some really nice alpine basins that are not all vertical like the area I hunted my first year.
I do think I limited myself allot on that first hunt with the bow, becuase I didn't pack a rifle with me. This year I will try with a muzzleoader which does double my range.

Brez
07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
One suggestion I have is find a goat population that likes treed and/or broken bluffs. Makes stalks way better and obviously easier.

Blockcaver
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I have taken two goats with the bow. They stay vertical longer than any other NA big game I have shot with an arrow through the lungs. Must be something to do with their ability to not pass out from lack of oxygen to the brain. A double lung shot with a sharp broadhead to any animal other than a goat usually means 10 seconds till the animal is down. I didn't time the goats but bet it was over a minute in both cases. Both my goats were in OK shape after rolling a ways, but they can get very busted up if you are unlucky.

trapman
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
have taken 2 with the bow and been in range (35 yards ) on 6 others ,stay above and take your time

sherpa-Al
07-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I've been on 3 bow goat kills so far and each stalk/kill was different from the others. One was shot through one lung and ran 600yrds before dying. Another took and arrow straight down at 3 yrds into the lung cavity, jumped off a small cliff, landed hard, got up, took another arrow through both lungs, slid down the chute on top of the hunter and eventually expired. The last was shot through both lungs and immediately speed climbed (straight up) to the nastiest part of the cliff in about 30 seconds and then died, falling 200 feet then rolling the next 1000.

Not all archery goat kills end up this way obviously but I think an archer has a better chance at a hard recovery due to the fact that more often than not the goat is aware that the hunter is there, and when shot, goes into flight mode. Keeping hidden is the key to getting a good shot off with a minimal recovery. Hunt areas that hold good numbers of goats regardless of terrain and then figure out how you can arrow one without losing him after the shot.

Al.

Ruger4
07-26-2012, 06:35 AM
I have a 1/2 mount book goat on my wall which to date is by far my hardest hunt, proudest hunting moment , most rewarding hunt (with a rifle) ................
to get a P&Y goat would be the ultimate BC Hunting experience (in my opinion)..............Let's go get one G.G. !!

tomahawk
07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Took a goat with the bow, no need to ever shoot another one now, its the second best trophy i have next to the bow wolf. Try and approach them from above i found was the best strategy. They are tough to drop so make sure the shot is taken with time and care.

greybark
07-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes ...
Cheers