PDA

View Full Version : broken tines

huntermike
11-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I shot a 4x3 with 1 tine broken off each antler=3x2,are broken tines common,how many people have shot deer with broken tines/antlers,Iguess they are broken from fighting or being shot.(ouch).

Will
11-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Broken tines are Very common......
It generally happens from Fighting. I've got a 5x6 I shot a few years ago that had a 7th tine snapped off. Actually just seen a Big Bull Moose the other day with only one Antler...the other was snapped off at the main beam, just a stub left...Ouch !

I guess that's probably the Main reason they evolved to shed them and regrow New ones for the Next Sparring season:|

mark
11-13-2006, 09:40 AM
very common on every antlered animal!

brotherjack
11-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Especially late season after the rut - it can get almost rare to find one without a broken tine or so.

valleycowboy
11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
most of the deer i have shot later in the season,have broken tines.it adds. character but on the other hand,hurts the scoring,lol(if score counts for anything:wink: )

4ptbuck
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
So, does a bull moose with a broken antler, leaving a stub considered a SPIKE-fork?

300WM
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
So, does a bull moose with a broken antler, leaving a stub considered a SPIKE-fork?

Absolutely!

ramcam
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
My boy living in Alberta has shot two whitetails with broken antlers . One was broken above the second point, it was a five on the good side and this year he shot a six by two the other points were broken off.

Benthos
11-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Absolutely!

are u sure?

300WM
11-13-2006, 12:09 PM
are u sure?

Page 4 of 2006-2007 Regulations

Moose - Spike fork Bull - means a bull moose having no more than 2 tines on one antler. (includes tines on main antler and brow palms).

Perfectly leagal to shoot.

4ptbuck
11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I often wondered. Technically legal, but goes against the spirit of the law.

300WM
11-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I often wondered. Technically legal, but goes against the spirit of the law.

How do you mean "spirit of the law?"

4ptbuck
11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
a spike-fork moose typically are young ones.
An old paddle horn that has broken one side off ain't a young one.

300WM
11-13-2006, 02:03 PM
a spike-fork moose typically are young ones.
An old paddle horn that has broken one side off ain't a young one.

Spike fork is a spike fork. Doesn't say anywhere in the regs that it must be an immature bull. IMO it does not go against the "spirit of the law" and is completely fair game.

Just my opinion.....

BCKID
11-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Seen plenty. My hunting partner shot a 4X3 in the 4 point only season and shot off the qualifying side. Knocked the deer out, he was laying on the ground with no holes in him!! There was 4 in of fresh snow and we couldn't find the broken side. The butcher we went to took his word for it. Point is not all broken tines are from fighting. BCKID

jessbennett
11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
im failing to see the problem with shooting a bull moose with a large antler on one side and a spike on the other. it happened to me this year, went through a road check and the co said congradulations and have a good night. the regulations no longer say immature bull season. they say spike fork season. im failing to se how this is unethical. no laws are broken at all. so if you see a bull with 10 or 12 points on one side and a two point fork on the other you wouldnt shoot it because it was an older moose??? so what is the differene in shooting a buck in 4 point season with a giant four point on one side and just a two point on the other??you would shoot it because the regulations state that it only has to have 4 points on one antler right? so where is the difference?? according to the regs, a spike or fork is pretty self explanitory dont you think???:roll:

Caveman
11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ptbuck

Originally Posted By 300WM
Absolutely

Actually you are wrong, I talked to a lady at the fish and game office recently because of this debate and she said a broken antler would not be legal. Any other bull having no more than two points on one side would be legal. They dropped the immature description.

NightOwl74
11-14-2006, 03:30 AM
Holy crap I can't believe what I am reading.:mad:

300WM
11-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Actually you are wrong, I talked to a lady at the fish and game office recently because of this debate and she said a broken antler would not be legal. Any other bull having no more than two points on one side would be legal. They dropped the immature description.

I don't what this lady (is she even a CO?) was smoking when you talked to her. BTW which office did you go to because you are being misinformed.

So let me ask you this, if a 4x3 bull got into a fight or whatever and broke off the 3rd tine making it a 4x2, you are saying it would be illegal to shoot?

How do CO's figure we are supposed to identify a broken off tine when you are making 100+ yard shots.

My freind, you have been given the wrong info.

Gun Dog
11-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm not a CO but I've always considered a broken antler (or tine) as uncountable. Lucky for the animal unless the other antler meets whatever criteria it's supposed to meet. If you're talking tripalm bull, a 4x2 bull still has 4 tines on one brow so it's still good. It only needs one good side to be legal.

4ptbuck
11-14-2006, 10:05 AM
hey, don't get me wrong. I didn't say it was unethical, or wrong. I'd have a hard time not pulling the triggeer,... in fact, I probably would put a moose in the freezer.

All I pointed out is that a spike-fork is typically a immature. That's probably why the law was written.

300WM
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
OK guys, I just called a CO in Prince George.

He said that as long as the moose had atleast a measurable stub on one side and no more than 2 tines (even if some were broken off) it can be classified as a spike fork, regardless of how many tines it showed on the opposing side. He went on to say that it is a grey area and it is up to the discretion of the given CO to make the call.

He did say that there are ways to tell if an antler or tine has broke or been cut off after the animal is dead.

Will
11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
He did say that there are ways to tell if an antler or tine has broke or been cut off after the animal is dead.
Of course he'd say that.........:lol:

luckynuts
11-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Absolutely!

I disagree the regs cleary state immature and mature it ain't legal and if you can't tell which is which you shouldn'y be hunting. I had this discussion 2 years ago with a CO as we called two bull moose out across the road both were average paddled bulls one with 2 pts on brow and one antler busted off this young kid roars up in a truck jumps out and boom.. Then wanted a had dressing it . Nope told him I ain't touching it as it's not legal he was perturbed. But after speaking with a CO he said if we had taken a plate number down they would have confiscated the animal and charged him and it would have played out in court.

after reading this in the regs: the regulations no longer say immature bull season. they say spike fork season. (oops I didn't see it till now- dumb ass) It seems clear to me that it should be alloawable though I would not want to risk my hunting license over a debatable issue.
W.

Caveman
11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
As I said earlier the Wildlife branch who puts the regulations out, says a broken tine does not constitute a spike-fork, therefore it is illegal. The CO's are only there to enforce the regulations so someone should clarify. I tend to think if the wildlife branch says a broken tine is illegal, I'll take that as law. The CO may think differently but that is his interpretation, and I don't think I want to gamble with the loss of my hunting rights. Do you ? Besides if it went to court we all know we would be there for a year or two, and I've got better things to do than that.

jessbennett
11-16-2006, 11:42 PM
well, spoke tp the "game branch" myself, and simply put, a busted tine is exatly that. as it was put to me, how do you count a point that isnt there?broken or not, it is not there.a tine or point cannot be counted or scored if it is not there.thats like shooting a booner class buck that just failed to meet the requirements but has a busted point and they say hey oh well it used to have a point there so what the hell, we'll give this one to ya...:lol: therefore a busted antler as long as it has no more than two points on ANY given antler(for spike fork moose) is fair game. so im guessing one should be able to tell the differene between a busted off point and a deformed antler at 200-300 yards??:rolleyes:. put it this way,.... you are hunting in four point mulie season, you see a monster buck at about 200 yards away and it is what you think WAS a 4x3. you can see that at one time the buck WAS 4 on one side but in fighting or whatever a tine was busted off. would you shoot it because it was a 4 point at one time???do you honestly think that if you went through a roadcheck and told the c.o. that hey it was a four point at one time so i figured it was legal.your ass wouldnt be in jail? that would be piss poor decision on the hunters part. 8) :mad:

jessbennett
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
also for the record, if it went to court, it would be awfully hard to charge someone if there was no evidence.. (like a broken off or genetically inferior antler or tine). also from the "horses" mouth.

jessbennett
11-16-2006, 11:48 PM
luckynuts:

jessbennett
11-16-2006, 11:57 PM
luckynuts: does the regulations also explain how one is to distinguish between an "immature" spike fork and a "mature" spike fork that may be very old, genetically inferior or just plain have a busted tine or antler? please could you let me know what page that is on so i can educate myself better? for the record, the regulations state "tri palm" and spike fork not immature and mature:lol:

sawmill
11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
The regs should specify that a busts rack doesn`t count becase a guy could take the back of an axe and make a spike fork in some instances.BUT if you did shoot one that was broke off,how the hell do you tell at 200 yards?And once he`s down and you see he`s broke off,what do you do?Leave him for the yote`s,or report yourself.I know guys who did the latter and it didn`t work out worth a shit for them,turned out to be a free bust for the C.O. I Dunno...............

jessbennett
11-18-2006, 08:12 AM
worked on a c.o.'s truck yesterday and asked him the same thing. a spike fork is a spike fork anyway you look at it.big, small,fat,skinny, old,young.

sawmill
11-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Good. Life itsownself has enough bullshit.