PDA

View Full Version : Kluachesi Lake fly-in

onpoint
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Planning on a fly-in hunt to Kluachesi (Blue) lake first week of September. Will be focusing on elk/moose. Have never been so would appreciate any input on what the area is like as far as good camp locations, trails, outfitter concerns (if any) and any other helpful info such as how far off the lake we need to get to get into elk/moose. This will not be a sheep hunt.

jml11
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Busy area at that time, mostly residents, all the 'good' camping spots might be claimed before you get in there. Most camp around the point or at the east end of the lake. Best to discuss this with the pilot and it will ultimately determine where he lands. If you are going with a charter (Liard Air), he will likley know where everyone is camped before you fly-in. There is an outfitter lodge at the northwest end of the lake and often a packer sets up just to the east. Our company hunt is in there every year and we will be setting up a camp August 25th through until September 15th. I will be there September 1-8th.

Elk and moose can be harvested right from the lake but generally the 6-points and legal bull moose are up in the hills, often at the top or over the next hill. Most people don't bother with moose due to their size and distance found from the lake. Depends what you are willing to pack. There are goats in and around the lake on GOS as well. Depending on the amount of pressure it may pay to spike out. Generally the east end of the lake is quieter as far as hunters go but the game is still there. The valley north of the oufitter camp and burn to the west of the lake are the 'busy' spots. If you are ok with a cow or 3-point bull elk, it's pretty hard to get skunked up there! It pays to bring in a boat with motor to transport you to other areas unless you plan on hunting immediately above your camp. I can provide more advice on this in a PM.

Send me a PM with any other questions and I can help you out. I've been in there 3 times and like I said will be in there again this year.

onpoint
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Awesome info thanks, PM coming.

Busy area at that time, mostly residents, all the 'good' camping spots might be claimed before you get in there. Most camp around the point or at the east end of the lake. Best to discuss this with the pilot and it will ultimately determine where he lands. If you are going with a charter (Liard Air), he will likley know where everyone is camped before you fly-in. There is an outfitter lodge at the northwest end of the lake and often a packer sets up just to the east. Our company hunt is in there every year and we will be setting up a camp August 25th through until September 15th. I will be there September 1-8th.

Elk and moose can be harvested right from the lake but generally the 6-points and legal bull moose are up in the hills, often at the top or over the next hill. Most people don't bother with moose due to their size and distance found from the lake. Depends what you are willing to pack. There are goats in and around the lake on GOS as well. Depending on the amount of pressure it may pay to spike out. Generally the east end of the lake is quieter as far as hunters go but the game is still there. The valley north of the oufitter camp and burn to the west of the lake are the 'busy' spots. If you are ok with a cow or 3-point bull elk, it's pretty hard to get skunked up there! It pays to bring in a boat with motor to transport you to other areas unless you plan on hunting immediately above your camp. I can provide more advice on this in a PM.

Send me a PM with any other questions and I can help you out. I've been in there 3 times and like I said will be in there again this year.

hellojello74
07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
all good info, looks like you are getting the info you need, if you need more feel free to pm me, (spent some time in the area)

onpoint
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks hj74, appreciate the offer. Will PM if need more. Cheers.

northernhunter
07-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Was in there few years ago, we flew with villers air and got dropped off at end of outfitters air strip. We camped inbetween kluachesi and the gathto and had very little pressure. The only other pressure was some of jml 11 guys that came through and i believe they were camped on the island at kluachesi. One of there guys came through with a nice sheep and the outfitter was pissed, lol. Anything big was up high, right on top of the mountains. We killed a good 6 and a big 5, they were on top of the mountain and had no interest in coming down. We were in there the second of september till the tenth. Just remember you will get something in there, but if you want a good one you will have to work for it.

BCrams
07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Great place and have heard some great stories of the hunting there. I wouldn't rule out having sheep tags if you're inclined to poke around a couple drainages to the west. There are excellent rams to be had and they are taken every year within a day's hike on good trails from the lake.

onpoint
07-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks NH, great info! Also appreciate the heads up on having to work hard...wouldn't be thinking about this trip if we weren't willing to put in the "hard yards"! Best of luck this season.

Was in there few years ago, we flew with villers air and got dropped off at end of outfitters air strip. We camped inbetween kluachesi and the gathto and had very little pressure. The only other pressure was some of jml 11 guys that came through and i believe they were camped on the island at kluachesi. One of there guys came through with a nice sheep and the outfitter was pissed, lol. Anything big was up high, right on top of the mountains. We killed a good 6 and a big 5, they were on top of the mountain and had no interest in coming down. We were in there the second of september till the tenth. Just remember you will get something in there, but if you want a good one you will have to work for it.

onpoint
07-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Cheers, and might just have to keep a sheep tag on hand just in case.

Great place and have heard some great stories of the hunting there. I wouldn't rule out having sheep tags if you're inclined to poke around a couple drainages to the west. There are excellent rams to be had and they are taken every year within a day's hike on good trails from the lake.

bruin
07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Some great info already. I'd definitely take a sheep tag and keep a close eye on the chutes and slide at the west end as well as in and around granny creek. Saw and took some good moose/elk on the south side of the lake in behind the island (hanging valley) but its an ignorant pack without horses. There's a horse trail on the north side of the lake that runs east to west and will take you out to some huge meadows to the east, took some elk out that direction up on the hills and ravines. A boat of some kind is definitely recommended.

Old Crow
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
I wonder if everyone favorite Portuguese packer is still doing his thing up that way

GreatWhitePopogeebo
07-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I wonder if everyone favorite Portuguese packer is still doing his thing up that way
Yup he'll b up there say hi will ya he's good for 10 stones and 100% on elk not bad for a pork chop eh. Let it begin.

Iltasyuko
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a story for investigative journalism to key in on and put in front of the public - maybe that would generate some enforcement.

hntcrazy
07-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Go later in the year .....less people and more concentrated groups of animals..and no bugs..

snowhunter
07-19-2012, 07:05 AM
We have, despised, but nevertheless a Canadian legend, Alex Moto, who will be remembered along the shores of Kluachesi Lake, long after we all are gone. One day a movie might be made of him , the African jungle warrior, who needed to spent him time in the British Columbia Wilderness, most of it alone, helping hunters bring in their game to camp.

Not knowing his colorful past, Alex comes out as a friendly human being, who, for a fee, does his best to help his clients, the British Columbian fly in hunters at kluachesi Lake, to bring in a trophy of a life time.

If you have the guts and courage, meet, and spent some time with Alex the Legend of Kluachesi Lake, and you forever have an interesting story to tell your friends and grandchildren. One day in not to distant future, when Alex will be to old and tired to pack out of Kluachesi Lake, you will regret that you did not take your chance to meet Alex on his home turf, Kluachesi lake. I am glad I did.

onpoint
07-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately the only week that work's as far as my work commitments go so we'll just have to live the bugs and other hunters. Sounds like a good group will be in there and lots of space. Thanks for the input.

Go later in the year .....less people and more concentrated groups of animals..and no bugs..

jml11
07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Some great info already. I'd definitely take a sheep tag and keep a close eye on the chutes and slide at the west end as well as in and around granny creek. Saw and took some good moose/elk on the south side of the lake in behind the island (hanging valley) but its an ignorant pack without horses. There's a horse trail on the north side of the lake that runs east to west and will take you out to some huge meadows to the east, took some elk out that direction up on the hills and ravines. A boat of some kind is definitely recommended.

My first year there we took two mature 5 points in one morning from the very back end of that valley...three of us on foot took a full day and a half to get them both back to camp...two days later we spotted a monster bull moose that my one buddy was tempted to kill...I could just imagine trying to drag that behemoth out of there on foot!!

Gunner
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Flew in on the 15th of August 1997.We took a bull moose at the narrows on the lake(they cross there),and another on the flats at the east end.The 2 bull elk we took(a 5 and a 6 point)were right on the height of land on the north side,one was partway down into the Gathto.If you are going early I suggest you take meat tents,the flies were bad.There were only 2 other hunters on the lake,they stayed down by the west end burn and lost a moose to a grizzly in there.I took a 10' Zodiac in with me and towed both moose back to camp.Didn't help much with the elk tho':razz: Gunner

1/2 slam
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
We have, despised, but nevertheless a Canadian legend, Alex Moto, who will be remembered along the shores of Kluachesi Lake, long after we all are gone. One day a movie might be made of him , the African jungle warrior, who needed to spent him time in the British Columbia Wilderness, most of it alone, helping hunters bring in their game to camp.

Not knowing his colorful past, Alex comes out as a friendly human being, who, for a fee, does his best to help his clients, the British Columbian fly in hunters at kluachesi Lake, to bring in a trophy of a life time.

If you have the guts and courage, meet, and spent some time with Alex the Legend of Kluachesi Lake, and you forever have an interesting story to tell your friends and grandchildren. One day in not to distant future, when Alex will be to old and tired to pack out of Kluachesi Lake, you will regret that you did not take your chance to meet Alex on his home turf, Kluachesi lake. I am glad I did.

He is a poaching Piece of Shit period. He should be in Jail. Shake your head.

07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Years ago I almost booked with that CLOWN when he was a Packer ...... lots of BAD PRESS about him kept me from booking.

So I hired another Class packer in the area and have had 3 such trips since with him. Great Hunts all of them. On one hunt the said CLOWN, arrived in our area, wanting to know how to get out, he was headed for the high way but never traveled the area we were in ....... I was hoping then he got himself lost but it didn't happen .......
Unreal that the BC C/O's have not nailed his sorry A __ ! to a tree and left him there. I hope the crook gets whats coming to him him one day.

CT

hellojello74
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
I know this has lots to do with hunting in the area but can we help the OP instead of clouding every thread about the area with this guy....

burger
07-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I know this has lots to do with hunting in the area but can we help the OP instead of clouding every thread about the area with this guy....

I think the OP got what he wanted the rest is still interesting

hellojello74
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree, I just have seen numerous threads about the area get way off topic and become useless drivel back and forth. I am happy to to talk about that side of things, but most of it has been covered in other threads....

onpoint
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
OP here, Although not what I was looking for I've received great info so far so thanks to those who offered their input and advice. I have to admit I'm curious to hear more about Mota...I saw a thread posted with his name in the title and skimmed through it. Sounds like quite a history.

onpoint
07-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know if the outfitter has small cabins he'll rent to residents? I've heard you might be able to rent boats from them as well?

ryanb
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
The outfitter in the area definately has a history of catering to residents at times, as long as you're not hunting "his sheep". He may well be willing to provide accomadation for a fee. Best to contact them: "Big Nine Outfitters".