PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting - Pink Mountain, Chetwynd, Dawson Creek Area (7-20 - 7-32)

trenks
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Myself and my hunting partners are hoping to head upto Pink Mountain, Chetwynd, Dawson Creek Area this October for a couple weeks from Vancouver.

Would be going to these areas not knowing where to start so looking for any advice possible of the best areas, any names or numbers of people that may be able to help or supply anything (such as private land, a rustic cabin to stay, or anything).

we will be driving up in a RV towing a Side by Side and a Quad. Not lazy hunters though. Usually back packing for most of the day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Darksith
07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
you got quads? How setup are you for an adventure?

browningboy
07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Pink mountain is bad, you should go to Tumbler area, be better.
go to Moose Lake

vip_ruger
07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Del rio is a great place to kill moose and elk maybe even a bear or what the call the a one road by tembec In between Chet and dc as well the puggins road and go to the tower and camp around there around Dawson and the halfway road is good up by pink mountain

Allen50
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
pink is a great place to hunt, lots of moose, but you need to do some work to get one, last time we were ther we came out with 5 moose, lots of back packing, but had moose for winter, were 6 of us there, was a good week,,, good luck,, 32hundred road at pink,,

trenks
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
we will be driving up in a RV towing a Side by Side and a Quad. Not lazy hunters though. Usually back packing for most of the day.

Flingin' Sticks
07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Just came from ground pounding the 200 and 900 rds past Del Rio and the Moberly river near chetwynd. There's plenty of moose sign, but be ready to get off the roads as much as possible to find it. It's some thick ass $hit in there.

trenks
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
thanks, good places to set up camp at Del Rio?

dhog
07-19-2012, 12:02 AM
there is a forest service campsite at the Moberly river by the road

moosinaround
07-19-2012, 06:56 AM
thanks, good places to set up camp at Del Rio?
Follow the Del Rio all the way to Taylor fields. It is a bit rough, but an RV with a trailer could make it in no prob. There is a bit of a steep hill at the back end, but just take er easy and you should make it in. Take lots of fuel it is a long way in and there are no gas stations around. Have fun. Moosin

Bromley
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Moosin is the man with regards to this! :-P

trenks
07-19-2012, 01:42 PM
sounds good, anyone else have addition helpful info? going to be spending about 2 weeks up there, so will try a couple different spots.

d6dan
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd be checking before going into the Del Rio. Lots of exploration for gas/oil.

yota
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a buddy that goes to pink mountain every year and has a lot of issues with the natives there such as charging to use "there roads" and even one year shooting at them. I would go more towards chetwynd or dc myself its beautiful country and lots of animals. Anyways what ever you decide make sure to post some pics of the trip. Good luck and happy hunting.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I have a buddy that goes to pink mountain every year and has a lot of issues with the natives there such as charging to use "there roads" and even one year shooting at them. I would go more towards chetwynd or dc myself its beautiful country and lots of animals. Anyways what ever you decide make sure to post some pics of the trip. Good luck and happy hunting.

there is no roads that the natives can charge in pink mt...lots of access

Surrey Boy
07-20-2012, 04:49 PM
there is no roads that the natives can charge in pink mt...lots of access

They haven't challenged my 40-ton picker truck yet.

They'll regret the day they do.

whitetailsheds
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
I'd be checking before going into the Del Rio. Lots of exploration for gas/oil.

Man Dan....that's all over up here....Alot of places don't even look even look the same from last fall!

d6dan
07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Man Dan....that's all over up here....Alot of places don't even look even look the same from last fall!

Thanks for the update. I guess the brother has been,,,,,well himself..I guess its time for a late season hunt again.

trenks
07-27-2012, 12:26 AM
thanks everyone! any chance anyone knows of any farmers in the area that like hunters and have elk or moose coming on there land?

yukon john
07-27-2012, 06:07 AM
thanks everyone! any chance anyone knows of any farmers in the area that like hunters and have elk or moose coming on there land?

I doubt you'll find one wanting you to shoot moose, due to all the poaching/trespassing there is very few farmers willing to let you on unless you know someone. If you call the chetwynd or dawson CO office they usually have a couple guys with problem elk but that is generally later in the fall.

Boner
07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not yet an elk hunter, but here's my take on it based on spending every winter for the last 10 years working in the Peace.

Kinda depends on the year I bet. I recall one winter in particular near Dawson on the Braeden Road where we were working, when there was so much snow, the deer and elk had a hell of a time getting anything to eat. The deer would eat the lichen off of the dead trees that we were cutting as soon as we moved 30 meters away. We would cut dead trees even if we didn't have to, just so that they could get a little more lichen to feed on.

They were trying hard to get into the hay piles that winter. Lots of snow early in winter makes for a better chance at getting a problem elk. In my experience. I talked to a Dawson Creek area CO last fall about it, and he recalls that winter. I think it was 06... He went out to a farmer's hay paddock in late winter because the farmer told him about a bunch of dead deer around his fenced in hay. The CO said like 150 deer. He went to move snow with his tractor and there were dead deer everywhere around his 10 foot high fence.

Such a shame. What a waste of meat.

cameron0518
07-27-2012, 04:34 PM
i would try to narrow your area down a little and then ask for help.
Myself and my hunting partners are hoping to head upto Pink Mountain, Chetwynd, Dawson Creek Area this October for a couple weeks from Vancouver.

Would be going to these areas not knowing where to start so looking for any advice possible of the best areas, any names or numbers of people that may be able to help or supply anything (such as private land, a rustic cabin to stay, or anything).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

d6dan
07-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Elk will be far and few on farm land during the time of your hunt. Your need to be up high and in the timber,thats where you'll find them. Good luck.

.330 Dakota
07-27-2012, 06:47 PM
They haven't challenged my 40-ton picker truck yet.

They'll regret the day they do.
I am proud that you are doing your part,,,lol